News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

08 Schedule?

Started by gixxerlvr, November 30, 2007, 05:11:59 PM

Sig

Quote from: Been-Jammin on December 08, 2007, 09:33:35 AM
I was wondering the same thing... I know last years turn out was low, but didn't think it was *that* low.

Turn out was low because everybody that does both CCS and WERA raced the track the weekend before CCS was there with WERA.

A litlte different scheduling and I think you would see a big difference.

ahastings

Quote from: Super Dave on December 06, 2007, 12:03:14 PM
No.  But you're racing there for regional stuff for GP, it appears. 

Dumb, I think, but traditional.  I was the first "South Central" champion (1993), and region was HPT and little Talladega, which I like more than Barber.  But that's me.

750 miles or so from Milwaukee or KC, KS, but GP gets it.

Seems far out for Mid-Atlantic guys too...someone will say something I'm sure.
Yes it is far for us MA racers and the higher entry fees don't help. But not as far as Daytona, how would you like that added to your region. I guess it is about getting numbers. At least Daytona isn't double points for us this year and figures it might be the first year I will be going, but not because of the points.
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor

steelcityracer

Quote from: Burt Munro on December 03, 2007, 10:39:52 AM
++++++++++++   Attention Jeff  +++++++++++++++

Please accept this as my nomination for post of the Month and in consideration for post of the year!

Can you tell me why this should be considered post of the year?

leonea

probably because you said you haven't raced on it. i guess he feels you need to actually race on it to see that it's not a good place for motorcycles. i would rather take a look at the concrete walls that outline the track and make my decision.

ahastings

You guys race on Summit Main and turn 4 has a wall that  you carry more speed on it then any turn on Shenny. Just to give you an idea of how slow the speeds are on shenny, an SV is competetive in any class. Also if you ran the same gearing that you ran on the main track you wouldn't get any higher than 4th gear on a 600 or 3rd gear on a 1000.
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor

steelcityracer

Quote from: ahastings on December 09, 2007, 11:19:23 PM
You guys race on Summit Main and turn 4 has a wall that  you carry more speed on it then any turn on Shenny. Just to give you an idea of how slow the speeds are on shenny, an SV is competetive in any class. Also if you ran the same gearing that you ran on the main track you wouldn't get any higher than 4th gear on a 600 or 3rd gear on a 1000.

I agree that turn 4 is very dangerous, and I wish that they would fix it.  It is definatly the most dangerout turn that I go through, and I ride through it accordingly.  If I want to pass someone in turn 5, I pass them arount the outside so that I am no where near that wall.  A traditional pass puts the rider right next to the wall.  My line doesnt let me carry maximum speed, but i am not willing to go close to that wall.  I am willing to make a concession for that one turn, but not a whole track.

As far as the post of the year thing, I dont see how people can say that you have to race a track to see if it is safe to race it.  I can tell just by watching that the IOM tt and Macau GP are extremely dangerous, and I wouldnt want to race them, just like I can see the proximity of the walls to the track at shenendoa and decide not to race it. When I snowboard, I can look at a 60 foot table top, and just by looking at it, I can tell that I dont want to jump it.  I understand that summit built the shenandoa in order to increase revenue, but it is a decision that I cannot support.  I cannot see how you can build a new track in the modern era of safety couciousness, and have walls so close to the track.  The decision is especially mind boggling, considering that summit already had a track that had issues (turn 4) that need addressed.  Im sure that they could have fixed turn 4 (and 3, 8 and 9) with a fraction of the money that was used to build the shenandoa.

steelcityracer

I am glad to see that shenandoa is not on the schedule for 08 so far.  I hope it doesnt show up on those spots that are TBD.

steelcityracer

I posted a poll on another forum, and the vast majority of respondants agreed that you can make a valid judgement on the safety level of a track, just by looking at it.

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?p=1838064&posted=1#post1838064

Super Dave

I think you're missing your context in this whole thread.  Surely, it wasn't funny to you, but it hit me like a great punchline.

I voted for neither in your poll as neither left me a reasonable opportunity to make the decisions in how I actually make them.

You have to make your choices no matter what.
Super Dave

steelcityracer

Burt Munro

Super Dave hit it on the head.  It was more the way you're statement was structured that amused me.  No harm was intended.

I'd be the last one to tell someone that you couldn't decide whether or not you should ride a track, just by looking at it in some cases.  I've never been to Shenendoah so I can't make an informed comment about the track.  I know a number of people who have never been to Daytona and feel like that track isn't for them.  And for them, it's probably the best decision.

I guess I'm a little sensitive to people making decisions about tracks they've never been to based on the opinions of someone who knows someone who lived next door to someone who dumped his bike at that track.
Gateway would be a perfect example.  Awful lot of people out there with very strong, vocal opinions about the track who have never even seen it.  All they know is some guy (John Wascow) hit the wall there in '02 and nearly died.  What they probably don't know is that John's serious injuries were from a rider behind him hitting him and not from John hitting an airfence protected wall - which can happen at virtually any track.  I know this particular subject is still sensitive to a number of people so I'll back off for now.

I guess the way I look at it is that it's kind of like buying a car or truck based soley on the color.  An educated decision always wins in my book!!
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Court Jester

if a spot on a track is unsafe, then go a little slower through that section. i did that at gateway this year and ended up with 2 of my best finishes since i've started racing. or just don't go at all. if the numbers start dropping at tracks, then ccs will pull out for another track.
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"