News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

ASRA Thunderbike rule changes........

Started by ahastings, September 11, 2007, 11:31:41 PM

Super Dave

Three races?  As far as I know, my SV1000 is good for the SV1000 race.

As for Barney...LOL!  You brought him up.  Well, and rules were developed around his win.
Super Dave

ahastings

At the GNF for your SV1000 , you can ride the SV1000 cup race which has the large payout and pretty much everybody gets paid because there are never 20 riders in it, and if you have at least run one round with WERA you can also run Heavyweight Twins SS both Sportsman and National which both pay the normal Suzuki contingency payout. The Suzuki cup races they give you the check right at the banquet that night or if you don't go they mail it to you within a couple weeks.
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor

PJ

With 17 podiums and 5 wins posted by 6 different Suzuki SV racers in Thunderbike nationals since 2004 (plus track records set on SVs that still stand at Daytona and Road America) it appers that the SV has been reasonably competitive.

What seems to have happened is that there are fewer and fewer competitive riders on SVs.

As you suggest, Arnie, the real issue here is support of the class. It makes no financial sense to race a Suzuki in ASRA Thunderbike. Conversely, with Buell paying $10,000 in contingency at every event, and paying back to 15th place, plus providing technical and parts support at all ASRA races, the field is deep with Buell racers.

I don't think anyone wants to see Thunderbike become a one brand class, but will a rule change bring support and continency from Suzuki, Ducati, BMW and others?

2007 ASRA Thunderbike Results to date
Summit Point 3rd Arnold Hastings (SV650)

2006 ASRA Thunderbike Results
Road America 1st place Ed Key (SV650)
Topeka 2nd place Ed Key (SV650)
Virginia 3rd place Arnold Hastings (SV650)

2005 F-USA Thunderbike Results
Daytona 1st place Michael Barnes (SV650)
Daytona 2nd place David Yaakov (SV650)
Road America 1st Ed Key (SV650)
Summit Point 3rd place David Yaakov (SV650)
Virginia 3rd place Darren Danilowicz (SV650)
Barber 3rd place David Yaakov (SV650)
Joliet 3rd place Ed Key (SV650)
Daytona 1st place Ed Key (SV650)

2004 F-USA Thunderbike Results
VIR 2nd place Derek Keys (SV650)
VIR 3rd place David Yaakov (SV650)
Loudon 3rd Rick Doucette (SV650)
Barber 1st David Yaakov (SV650)
Miami 2nd Ed Key (SV650)
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

Super Dave

Quote from: ahastings on September 14, 2007, 08:06:27 PM...Qnd if you have at least run one round with WERA you can also run Heavyweight Twins SS both Sportsman and National which both pay the normal Suzuki contingency payout. The Suzuki cup races they give you the check right at the banquet that night or if you don't go they mail it to you within a couple weeks.
Yeah, I haven't had a WERA license in about fourteen years.  I won't be doing those other races.  WERA hasn't raced out this way in a long, long time. 
Super Dave

firebolt

Being a Buell fan and a Moto Guzzi racer, I would like to see Asra adopt AHRMA BOT F1 rules. I love the "unlimited" mods and displacement rule for air cooled pushrodders! Like Euro BOTT rules. This to me would encourage Buell, BMW, and hopefully Moto Guzzi, to stay in and join the fray. I know for obvious marketing reasons, Buell wants the rules to include the 1125R. But I think I am going to disagree and say no. Leave the Buells old fashioned! It will sound better.  Thunder bike should be just that. "Shake down the thunder from the sky" Regards, Dan USCRA #459 Moto Guzzi

ahastings

AHRMA BOT F! rules allow water cooled twins over 900cc under Supersport rules don't they? If that were the case then the Air cooled Buells and Guzzis wouldn't have a chance.The class is pretty much that now with water cooled twins limited to 750cc.  I think another good alternative for ASRA if the schedule will allow would be to add a Supertwins National class alongside the Thunderbike. Especially if they could get contingency support from Suzuki, Ducati, Aprilia, Buell, BMW for such a class.
Arnie
A&M Motorsports

xseal

I'm telling you, the way to even things out is to account for rider weight. Ed Key has a 100hp, 300lb SV, and he weighs 130. 

If you want to make different bikes competitive, worry less about configuration and more about COMBINED hp/weight ratio. Seriously, if the total package is 5.5 hp/lb (or whatever is reasonable), then who cares if its a Buell, SV, in-line 4 or whatever. I don't want to change the spirit of the class (something other than the ubiquitous in line 4s), but if you want the race to come down to rider skill, you go to spec tires and a combined rider/bike hp/weight ratio.  If that is equal, then all that's left is skill.

I have a well built Ducati that is almost as fast as the Buells. I spent a lot money to get it there and I'm finally competitive in LW classes b/c my hp to overall weight ratio is close to Arnies and others (he's still much faster, but also weighs 40 lbs less). To decrease the power rules is crazy. Increase the weight requirement instead ... and make it combined. What's the matter, all you little guys scared of us x-football players?

ahastings

I agree, a combined formula would equal things out more for sure.
Arnie
A&M Motorsports

badmonkey

5 wins in 4 years is not competitive sorry... everything is hp to weight but nobody looks at the torque. A mildly built sv may push 52-55  lb ft of torque while the buells are pushing 90+ . Thats slightly more than a 1000 inline 4 NOT... its a lot more. what drives you out of the corner better hp or torque? If you make any change make it combined rider and bike weight. Ok let the jabs begin
Do you want to touch my Monkey?

ahastings

The only problem with using combined weight is then nobody will be able to touch Bemisderfer.....

Ray , Where you been this year?
Arnie
A&M Motorsports

badmonkey

Home   :jerkoff:  ...LOL Will be at VIR this weekend. Kinda took this year off. Needed a break.  I've  seen you been having fun.. :thumb:
Do you want to touch my Monkey?

Super Dave

Quote from: ahastings on September 16, 2007, 07:32:48 AM
The only problem with using combined weight is then nobody will be able to touch Bemisderfer...
Well, that wouldn't be terrible. 

I'd enjoy racing my SV1000 in Thunderbike, if the rules made it equitable. 
Super Dave