News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

ASRA Thunderbike rule changes........

Started by ahastings, September 11, 2007, 11:31:41 PM

ahastings

There was some talk this past weekend at Summit about some big rule changes coming for the Thunderbike class. Anybody hear anything. The speculation I was hearing was a possible change to more of a Supertwins type format, since it is a class that is highly supported by Buell and would give them a National Series to showcase the new 1125R. Inquiring minds want to know.
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor

badmonkey

its pretty much a Buell show anyway so no big surprise there...
Do you want to touch my Monkey?

Super Dave

I think that would be unfortunate.  I think the current structure is interesting.  Yeah, if they did go to a new format, I could potentially race my SV1000 in it, but I think the SV650's, the BMW's, and Buell's make it interesting. 

Yeah, it's a Buell show...because the Buell dealers are supporting a lot of riders in it.  Where are the Suzuki dealers supporting competitive guys on SV650's?
Super Dave

ahastings

An SV 650 is not competetive with a Buell. And Buell posts major contingency which makes up for the fact that the ASRA payouts are pitiful. I finished 5th at Summit on what is considered a very fast SV and won $100 from ASRA and $50 from suzuki. I am not knocking the fact that it is a buell dominated class, I think it is great the way they support the sport. In fact I might look hard at one next year the way they pay especially if I can find a nice Harley dealer to help me out.
Arnie
A&M Motorsports

xseal

The only change I would make to the current format is they HP/weight ratio should be based on a combined rider/bike weight. If you really want to make the races equal, you can't have equal bikes with riders that have 50-60 lb differences in weight.

This is how F1 and many spec car/cart classes works.  Instead of 4lb/HP bike, how about 5.5lb/hp combined?  I think that would increase the competitiveness of the class, and if there is one class you should do it in, this one makes the most sense.  

I don't think they should include watercooled liter twins in the class, that will end up being another unlimited class, with 1098s running the show.

Eric Kelcher

There are changes being discussed but not quite that major, most of the changes discussed are to include other brands like the Ducatis and Suzukis, while holding with current limit on the Buells.
The field is very tight as is and we do not want to mess with the speed or power of the field but if we can inculde other bikes that can fit that same current mold without destroying what exists is the goal. The problem becomes that some bikes are better at some tracks IE high speed tracks/bikes and others are more technical tracks/bikes. So we are looking for some input.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

George_Linhart

I would also agree with suggesting that it moves to a combined bike/rider weight to BHP ratio.  This is going to be the only way to create a level playing field for those of us with "big bones."

Its a pretty competitive class right now between the Buells, Ducati's and SVs with the occasional BMW thrown in the mix.  I can't think of many bikes that "fit the spirit" of the class (and that we frequently see at the track) that could be added while keeping it competitive (unless there was some kind of additional weight handicap like what has been done with the F2).

George

Woofentino Pugrossi

How about put an age limit on it? Make a rule it has to fall in the current rules but be at least 5yrs old.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Ducmarc

that makes my 748 illegal but i asked for the 749 to be legalized last year. as it stands I spend my time hording 748 parts with are 5 to seven years old why not use the moto st rules.

Team Spalding

Joel Spalding
CCS & ASRA #36

Sponsors: Michelin, Ducati Of Indy, Wife Cindy, Held Gloves, Southeast Sales.

ahastings

I think the format is prettty good but maybe if the power to weight was reduced a little maybe to 4.2 to 4.5 lbs per hp. that way the Buells wouldn't have to be built to their usual grenade status and some other bikes would be a little more competitive.
Arnie
A&M Motorsports

Super Dave

Super Dave