News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Rd Amer practice July4~5

Started by zeroice, May 24, 2007, 01:25:43 PM

GSXR RACER MIKE

Ron was pretty fast, he could generally hold me off. To the best of my knowledge Ron actually has the record for the most championships held by anyone in CCS history, I believe it was something like 15 or 18 in one season (I was at the Midwest banquet when he got all those awards along with the #1 plate). Ron had somewhat of a sponsered ride if I remember correctly, his bike was crazy fast, I generally was right behind him in alot of races (though I do have a picture of a race I was winning with him in 2nd place a few seconds behind me, but that was a rare situation for me to be leading him). I'm not sure if he will remember me as well as Ken would, but I know he would know me if he saw me again. I haven't seen Ron at BFR spectating in quite a while, Hell I doubt there are few people now who would even know him or Ken as former regional champions and #1 plate holders as they walk around the pits - that's really too bad.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Helmsman

Quote from: GSXR RACER MIKE on June 07, 2007, 11:47:18 PM
Ron was pretty fast, he could generally hold me off. To the best of my knowledge Ron actually has the record for the most championships held by anyone in CCS history, I believe it was something like 15 or 18 in one season (I was at the Midwest banquet when he got all those awards along with the #1 plate). Ron had somewhat of a sponsered ride if I remember correctly, his bike was crazy fast, I generally was right behind him in alot of races (though I do have a picture of a race I was winning with him in 2nd place a few seconds behind me, but that was a rare situation for me to be leading him). I'm not sure if he will remember me as well as Ken would, but I know he would know me if he saw me again. I haven't seen Ron at BFR spectating in quite a while, Hell I doubt there are few people now who would even know him or Ken as former regional champions and #1 plate holders as they walk around the pits - that's really too bad.

Heh, well its cool that he isn't just full of shit all the time then.  :)  I always thought that if he was as fast and won as much as he said he did, he probably could have made a go professionally.  (maybe he did?)  But I remember him rattling off to me one time a bunch of the championships that he won.  I don't remember what they were because I didn't really believe him at the time, and i was just getting into this sport, so i didn't really remember what he was saying.  I know he was sponsored by Madison Motorsports in Madison I don't know who else.  I don't know when he quit racing...seems like he had a bad crash and quite soon after that?  I think he does a odd track day every now and then...but not a lot.

Anyway, cool to hear that.  I feel kind of like an ass now for thinking he was full of shit.

GSXR RACER MIKE

Quote from: G 97 on June 07, 2007, 08:51:38 AMAs far as trackday orgs taking dates please be specific, I would like to know what dates I have been taking from race orgs.

I've really realized in this thread how badly some people want to read things into statements. I have expressed concern in this thread for the future of regional motorcycle road racing in the U.S.A. due to the ever increasing number of 'non-racing' activities that are constantly being added to the Racetrack schedules - that includes bikes, cars, etc. I remember reading that Road America only had something like 3 days in their entire schedule that were available for track rental a year or 2 ago.

My comments about 'non-racing' activities (including Track Days as a whole, not specifically NESBA) is pointing out that there are a limited number of racetracks, with a limited number of days, available every season. As I said before, Track Day org's are fairly new (both bikes and cars) and have rapidly multiplied in the number of them all together, all requiring their own dates, most prefering weekend dates if available. In this lies the problem, as schedules become saturated over the next several years it will become more and more difficult to not only secure rental dates, but this will continue to drive rental costs even higher due to 'supply and demand'. I also find it strange that with all the added interest in track rental that we are not seeing any substaintial improvements at the tracks from the added revenue they are bringing in (excluding RA who is rumored to be seeking WSBK races and are modifying their track to accomodate that).

I understand the desire that people have that are using actual Race tracks for 'non-racing' activities, but at what cost is that desire ultimately going to be at over time? We live in a time when society as a whole wants to be able to do what ever they want, when they want, where ever they want. I certainly don't have a hatred toward Track Day participants, the Track Day org's, or NESBA specifically for that matter - what I am concerned about is that when all of them are combined together their effects could potentially cause some long term effects. Look at it like the current hot button in the media: Global Warming. I personally am not the reason for Global Warming, Garth personally is not the reason for Global Warming, the rest of you as individuals are not the reason for Global Warming - but when you put us all together WE are the reason for Global Warming. It's not 1 or 3 or 5 'non-racing' activities going on at Racetracks that may cause what I have been describing above, it's when there's literally 1000's of them going on across the country currently and increasing all the time (all types of 'non-racing' activities combined).

I certainly hope I'm wrong about this, but guaging by the rapid growth of 'non-racing' activities that's been happening at Racetracks just over the last 5 years I'm afraid I might be more correct than wrong. Time will tell.

GSXR RACER MIKE

Quote from: Helmsman on June 08, 2007, 12:19:08 AM
Heh, well its cool that he isn't just full of shit all the time then.  :)  I always thought that if he was as fast and won as much as he said he did, he probably could have made a go professionally.  (maybe he did?)  But I remember him rattling off to me one time a bunch of the championships that he won.  I don't remember what they were because I didn't really believe him at the time, and i was just getting into this sport, so i didn't really remember what he was saying.  I know he was sponsored by Madison Motorsports in Madison I don't know who else.  I don't know when he quit racing...seems like he had a bad crash and quite soon after that?  I think he does a odd track day every now and then...but not a lot.

Anyway, cool to hear that.  I feel kind of like an ass now for thinking he was full of shit.

Ron had a bad crash toward the end of his racing 'career' where I believe he broke his ankle pretty bad. I remember him telling me when he was leaving how he had accomplished what he had set out to accomplish and could leave the sport satisfied. I always thought that was a great attitude to have and an end result most don't ever achieve.

fourandsix

Quote from: jrsmail616 on June 07, 2007, 10:44:39 PM
Jim, did your riders have any issues with us track day riders at Road America two weeks ago?  They got the practice they needed for setup and practice passing us back markers. Ha Ha.

Our riders had no problems at all with anyone , it went pretty smooth as i recall. It's interesting that every discussion in here turns in to a bitch and bashing fest. Then moves on to a personal attack. Then you see those same people at the track and they are all smiles and want to shake your hand or ask for advice or a favor.

Ducmarc

I believe your right mike ccs has been in a state of depression I think Eric is doing a good job but some things or out of our hands i'm really concerned with the car guys 2years ago you never heard of a car track daynow there common but what happens when everybody with tires and a swaybar finds out there won't be a weekend left.

Court Jester

with a little luck they'll trade the sway bar in for something with a swing arm.
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

Jeff

Quote from: fourandsix on June 08, 2007, 08:26:47 AM
Our riders had no problems at all with anyone , it went pretty smooth as i recall. It's interesting that every discussion in here turns in to a bitch and bashing fest. Then moves on to a personal attack. Then you see those same people at the track and they are all smiles and want to shake your hand or ask for advice or a favor.

Everybody's bored..  What do you expect them to do?  Not to mention (as you pointed out), the keyboard factor.  It's easy to bitch with huge balls behind a keyboard, but people tend to be a bit more coordial in person.  It's the nature of the beast.

But it's great exposure for my advertisers ;-)  Game on!!
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

tstruyk

Quote... "someone like me"... please explain that to me.  What in your opinion, consists of "someone like me".

still waiting on this Garth...
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

gkotlin

Snowboarders and skiers!  Snowboard used to be banned from ski hills.  They had to hike up hills themselves to ride down.  Maybe someday we can all share like they have learned to.  Oh wait there are a still a few narrow-minded people that bring up that debate as well.

Since this is kind of a Nesba oriented bash.  I'll state this.  I would much rather ride in Nesba "A" group then a racer practice!  Nesba's  A group riders have been evaluated and earned the right to be there.  They have demonstrated more competency then someone that got license last weekend and comes to practice this week.  Maybe if there were a standard of rider education and competency for racing, we'd have less single bike accidents. 

Pretty racers will be unable to afford the track because we're taking all the days?  Maybe we'll see a growth in new tracks!  Maybe you won't have to drive as far because in 5 yrs there will be 12 tracks within a 6 hr. drive instead of 6.  It is what it is.

With that.  I declare a season of love!

Love the Rabbit & the Duck season!
Greg K.
CCS MW Expert # 12
2000 SV 650 - 1989 FZR 400
Vinylsaurusrex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - STT

Court Jester

WABBIT SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

jrsmail616

Quote from: fourandsix on June 08, 2007, 08:26:47 AM

I didn't think so, but I asked Kevin when he was walking around getting stats on what everyone was riding and tire brands, I asked him a simple question in that his riders where having no problems riding with us "A" Nesba riders. 

I know Micheal Barns and Mr. Beck from M4 emigo zuki had no problem passing us and it was fun to watch them as well.

------------------
Some of us are serious, some not so serious, and some just play and terrorize the rest of us.