Re: Irac- I need to vent

Started by SliderPhoto, February 05, 2003, 02:47:54 AM

Super Dave

LOL...well, that is what I do...make people think...  Usually not about this kind of stuff.  I do have a minor in Philosophy.  I wanted to get a Masters in Philosophy...just to be annoying ;D

It's not as easy as just walking away.  Sometimes it comes down to what you think is right in your heart.  There is the road less traveled...

And I'm sure the Beddoins (SP, I'm sorry) that roamed the deserts could have done something else.  Damacus, Jerusalem, Baghdad...  But that was not what they wanted.  

In the same way, there are people that live in places that are not so good, even in Milwaukee.  Drug dealers cause problems, the police is of little help, but they refuse to leave.  Should they just walk away?

Flipside on this one...

When Iraq invaded Kuwait, should we have just turned our backs on that too?  I did not agree at all with going in there at the time.  But I think the statement was good.  We were helping with a group of world powers, including Arab states, to stop Saddams imperialism.  We could have just watched from the sidelines.

Now what to we do with Israel and Palestine?  I believe that many Moslem Arabs point to this as the epicenter for many of the problems.
Super Dave

racer46

just thought it would work out with this thread.

ps if the pic doesn't work click here

http://www.geocities.com/crotchrocketracer46/whyworry.jpg

duc995@aol.com

The problem these days is that when a conflict arises between two factions some outsider steps in and tries to get them to play nice and "tolerate" each other.  This allows the hostilities to continue on forever...  In "the olden days" when a conquerer came on the scene the opponent was neutralized and absorbed into the conquering nation.  End of conflict.

Maybe the Romans had the right idea?

Super Dave

racer46...  Didn't have anything at the link...  Except for a HGTV giveaway...

Olden Days...

Absorbed?  I don't know.  There was still quite a bit of conflict going on.  Europe has been ravaged by war, well, pretty much forever.
Super Dave

ice

OK ...just one post

QuoteThe problem these days is that when a conflict arises between two factions some outsider steps in and tries to get them to play nice and "tolerate" each other.  This allows the hostilities to continue on forever...  In "the olden days" when a conquerer came on the scene the opponent was neutralized and absorbed into the conquering nation.

I think the key is to have governmental unity among factions with toleration of religious and cultural differences.  The different factions would be forced to be on the same team working together economically toward favorable living conditions and at the same time, they would maintain their differences of opinion on personal matters.

There are only two ways in which this can happen.
1) Nations would voluntarily join together (rare)
2) A conquerer arises to unify the nations

I found an interesting account of the conquests of Jenghiz Kahn (the ultimate conquerer as he was able to unify Asia and most of Europe) and it seems that the Mongols supported religous and cultural toleration after a nation was neutralized and absorbed.  I kind of liken this to America where multiple cultures and religions are tolerated and peacefully coexist (generally)

Full story below:
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Mongols-N-o-B-art.text

It seems to me that many of the problems in Europe and the Middle East are primarily a result of nations that are too small and have governments that are too closely linked to religious, ethnic or cultural beliefs.  

A conquerer is indeed once again needed to unify the weak and divided nations of the Eastern world.

" A man's greatest work is to break his enemies, to drive them before him, to take from them all the things that have been theirs, to hear the weeping of those who cherished them, to take their horses between his knees and to press in his arms the most desirable of their women" ~ Jenghiz Kahn

racer46

Quoteracer46...  Didn't have anything at the link...  Except for a HGTV giveaway...

damn it i hate geocities. oh well.

racer46

QuoteIt seems to me that many of the problems in Europe and the Middle East are primarily a result of nations that are too small and have governments that are too closely linked to religious, ethnic or cultural beliefs.

that's very true, before WWI the middle east was kinda one big blob and didn't really have any separation, and indeed it did work out that all three main religons were tolerated and everybody kinda got along (yeah there were a few problems but that's usual). but after WWI the british decided to split it up into countries and from there light problems started, then it just went out of control.