News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Opinions on First Bike/Classes

Started by FastBoy, December 23, 2002, 08:42:53 AM

oldguy

OK, OK I'm convinced. I'll learn and race the R6 and save the RC51 for trackdays. Case closed!

TZDeSioux

A TZ250 is the perfect bike for both beginners and seasoned veterans.  ::)

Protein Filled

QuoteA TZ250 is the perfect bike for both beginners and seasoned veterans.  ::)

hah, hah, hah, heh, heh, hah, hah, he, he, heh, hah, hah, hah, heh, heh, hah, hah, he, he, heh, hah, hah, hah, heh, heh, hah, hah, he, he, heh, hah, hah, hah, heh, heh, hah, hah, he, he, heh, hah, hah, hah, heh, heh, hah, hah, he, he, heh, hah, hah, hah, heh, heh, hah, hah, he, he, heh, hah, hah, hah, heh, heh, hah, hah, he, he, heh, hah, hah, hah, heh, heh, hah, hah, he, he, heh, hah, hah, hah, heh, heh, hah, hah, he, he, heh, hah, hah, hah, heh, heh, hah, hah, he, he, heh, hah, hah, hah, heh, heh, hah, hah, he, he, heh, hah, hah, hah, heh, heh, hah, hah, he, he, heh, hah, hah, hah, heh, heh, hah, hah, he, he, heh, hah, hah, hah, heh, heh, hah, hah, he, he, heh, hah, hah, hah, heh, heh, hah, hah, he, he, heh, hah, hah, hah, heh, heh, hah, hah, he, he, heh...

Oh, OK Brian...
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

Speedballer347

QuoteHey Speedie...Agree with what you said...except both of your example people are running 600's this year!
Rob's probably switching to a 600, cause he is tired of smoking all of us on our 600's ;D

You yourself have said you catch him in the corners, only to have him run away as soon as the bikes go vertical.  Same w/ me (sometimes, anyway).
I think Rob went as fast as he needed to go to beat all of us, not as fast as he and that 750 could go.  He used a little bit more caution in the corners, and punched it on the straights...and that was what was required to win.
It wasn't until he caught site of Selbert that Rob started pushing himself.  
He's a phenomenal rider, and that came through when he was on Selberts azz 8) at a pace none of us in the 600 amateur class could have stayed with.

I am speculating here, but I suspect Rob is switching to a 600 because all his friends are on them, he want's to prove he can win on equal machinery, and can race more classes.
NOT that he can go faster on it.

As far as Jason switching, he weighs a solid 230...so I ain't gonna speculate nothing w/ that boy ;D  You'll have to ask him direct :)

Again, me and you both know a very good rider who wadded his 600 up what? 20 times in the last 2 years :D  No names needed  ;D

I know your just clowning me, and I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, I'm just belching it for the guys who say an amateur can't roll on a 750 :)

Quote???  Doesn't make sense if you are pushing the 750-1k to the limits.  ::)
Point is, you don't HAVE to push a 750 in the corners to go as fast as the 600's in the amateur class.  If you do push it, your gone....bye bye :D imho.

I've ridden all the gsxr's 600, 750, 1k.  All were set up correctly, and they all handled the same to me.  Both the 750 and 1k felt more laterally rigid cause of the inverted forks/beefed swingarms.  
I liked the 750 the best.  Handled/felt the same and had a much better, smoother, more usable motor w/ tons more hp.   To me, it seemed easier to go faster on it.

But like I said before, you will be forced to become a better rider if you start on a 600.  So by that standpoint, that would be the bike to get.  I am just disagreeing w/ the people who say the big bikes don't handle, or you'l go faster on a smaller bike.  Not always.  If you can ride, you'll be upfront on any of the bikes!

I better add this before everyone gets bent w/ me.
An inexperienced rider on a 600 is gonna go slow.
An inexperienced rider on a 1000 is gonna go to the ER.
If you have good throttle control though...
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

FastBoy

Okay, so now I need to find an R7...great they are only about $40,000! Okay, that's it! I'm done! I'm bringin' my Boss Hoss and all of ya are done fur! Let's see ya pass me now! Uh huh!

Anyway, I'm getting a 600 and will likely ride up a class so as to stay out of the malay in the AM SS classes. I want to have fun and ride all I can not get maimed on my first race on T1.

I can see it now, I'll be telling the grandchildren,  "Yeah my career started and ended all in the span of 4/10 of a mile. But it was a hell of ride for all 7 seconds! Then the helicopter ride and several surgeries later, I was released. Now would you be a good boy and feed me some more baby food. My arms don't work so well and after they removed half my guts I just can't eat solids."

Hmmm, hey Oldman, is there a pocketbike class? I'll race ya to the grid!

Speedballer347

Quote....Anyway, I'm getting a 600 and will likely ride up a class so as to stay out of the malay in the AM SS classes
Most all the guys from the meatgrinder will also be racing up classes... ;D
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

cyclespawnR6

Hey,
   I just picked up on this topic but I put a big spank on liter bikes this year with a six.

FastBoy

This has actually turned out to be a really good thread. I've picked up on ideas I hadn't hought of and have sent a few friends over here to check this out as well since we are all starting our racing careers here in a few months.

Thanks for all the feedback! Look forward to kicking all yalls a...er, I mean look forward to seeing you at the track! Yeh, that's what I meant.

Peace.

Super Dave

When I started (1987) it was on a GSXR750.  It was my first bike ever, and it was my beginning platform for racing.  Third weekend out, GSXR1100 Superbike in endurance racing.  But that same weekend, I bought an RZ350 to race against the EX500's.  I learned more about the fine arts/i] of motorcycle road racing.  Getting in a little faster, a better line, this that and the other thing.

The current crop of 1000's are great.  They actually handle, when the 1000's of years gone by were not so good.  The GSXR1000 will actually hook up and go where the old stuff will leave looking in the weeds for your boots.

But, regardless, to ride a 1000 near it's potential, it requires a gentle hand, great set up, and some patience.  

What are you learning?  A 600 can practically mimic the same times at most tracks.  RA, Daytona,...not reality.  At many tracks guys that have both bikes, a 1000 and a 600, will only go a fraction of a second faster on the 1000.

As for a threashold level of traction someone stated....

There are places where you can get away with whacking a 600 wide open.  You don't get that chance on the 1000.  The power can completely overwhelm anything the chassis does to keep in "traction".

As for having to slide a 600 around....

I really don't do it myself.  I like it hooked up.  And when I did 13's on my 600 at Blackhawk, I didn't like the way it handled, but it wasn't sliding around.

If the threshold of traction at a corner is 50MPH for a bike at a 40 degree lean angle, it's easier to get closer to exactly what is reasonable on a 600.  You'll have to try and haul down the 1000.  Maybe you end up at 48MPH the whole time.   But you'll have to turn the throttle a bit more to make it up on the exit.  Again, back to finding your boots out in the weeds.  On the 600, you can just be closer to doing it at the "edge".  If you go over, it will probably come back.  The 1000....

But the 1000 is fun.  
Super Dave

FastBoy

QuoteOn the 600, you can just be closer to doing it at the "edge".  If you go over, it will probably come back.  The 1000....

But the 1000 is fun.  

That's right, that's right! Just dangle that carrot out there, then just when I'm reaching for it, YA TAKE IT AWAY!

Super Dave

I know, I know...it's evil.  But what to do.

I was going to do a 1000 for 2003.  Will do a 600 again.  Money for me.  And the new 600 I'm getting impresses me this year.  I'm excited.  

But wouldn't a 1000 be FUN!

(Bad rider!!!  Bad!) :)
Super Dave

SliderPhoto

Doug, take the RC out and have fun with it! Get your license, do a few weekends, and see what you like.

If you want to try something different, go with an SV but stay away from the R6.