News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Opinions on First Bike/Classes

Started by FastBoy, December 23, 2002, 08:42:53 AM

FastBoy

What would you guys think about an amatuer racer starting off with a liter bike given he is not a slow rider (like I've read about some doing 100mph down straights)? What classes would he be eligible for?

TiffineyIngram

I would say 100 mph is a very conservative estimate.  We've clocked bikes at Daytona at 180...at Roebling, 165.  As for a 'liter' bike, I'm assuming that's a 1000.  You are eligible for Unlimited Supersport (if it's stock), Unlimited GP, and GTO.

FastBoy

No, sorry I wasn't more clear. I read another post on here about amateurs only doing 100mph down the stretch and being in the way. I won't be one of those I assure you. I am taking it to the track for fear of losing my license as frequently I ride faster than that on the street. I have ridden liter bikes for nearly 10 years now so I just wanted some opinions about starting off on the track with a GSXR 1000, 954, R1, etc.. Thanks.

sportbikepete

Here is the start of a long coming list of what you do down the straights does not matter. Do yourself a favor and dump the liter bike and get a 600 or an SV. Curse me now thank me later, life is a bit different in turn 1 than whatever you've experienced. I too thought I could handle it no prob until I flew down the main straight and then hit my brake marker only to be passed by several guys on smaller bikes. There are a lot more turns on the track than straights. You asked so you got it.

YTAK_Racing

here here.  SV is a great way to start.  Not to under estimate your abilty's but going fast on the street is one thing, but it has little to do with going fast on a track.  You'll know this when someone on a 65hp SV 650 passes you on your gsxr 1000 like your standing still.

I think your doing the right thing by going to the track though.  Be warned its worse that herion, smoking and crack combined.

Good luck and welcome.

YTAK

Thingy

They are all right.  About everything.  (Even the Drugs part.  It's also more expensive)  Hopefully if this list gets long enough, you will take our word for it.  A 600 would be plenty of bike for a newbie.  Every new racer thinks they are plenty experienced, etc...  Until they need to brake for that first turn.

When I started racing, I rode a '98 ZX-9R on the street.  I started racing on an F2.

Plus, what do you need a 1000 for?  Going around the corners is the fun part, not going a couple miles an hour faster down the straights.  

You will be alot happier learning how to race on a bike that is easier to slow down and brake without having to worry about it spitting you off coming out of a corner.

Good luck.  We will see you at the track.
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

FastBoy

[quoteI think your doing the right thing by going to the track though.  Be warned its worse that herion, smoking and crack combined.

Good luck and welcome.
][/quote]

Thanks! I originaly got this bike as a trackday machine so I wouldn't throw my streetbike down. Well, now I'm taking it to the track I'm less interested in riding on the street. Just wondering. I look at it this way. If I'm a better rider it won't matter what bike I'm on so I'll just have to work at becoming a better rider. BTW, I'm not exactly a lightweight. I'm around 250lbs (football player) so I was concerned about riding SV's and 600 as I would be at a significant disadvantage riding against some of my 160lb counterparts.

YTAK_Racing

It sounds to me like your mind is made up. Being on the track ( I believe ) is 98% cornering speed.

A GSXR 1000 is not the best Started bike.  Your size and weight are not much of a factor either. I'm 6'3 230 and ride a small bike.  There is a guy named Casper that ....has at least 65 lbs. on me and races a lightwieght bike and is very, very fast! and smokes most of the skinny little guys.

...sorry edgar. ( you know Im with you bud )

and my last piece of advise.  Dont worry about winning.  Worry about track time and being smooth.

Dawn

QuoteYour size and weight are not much of a factor either. I'm 6'3 230 and ride a small bike.  There is a guy named Casper that ....has at least 65 lbs. on me and races a lightwieght bike and is very, very fast! and smokes most of the skinny little guys.

...sorry edgar. ( you know Im with you bud )

and my last piece of advise.  Dont worry about winning.  Worry about track time and being smooth.

K3 (who won six championships by the way) is a big guy and was also on a lightweigt bike.  

My husband is 230 lbs and rides a stock SV, sure some may out horsepower him, but riding a lightweight bike is the best way for anyone to learn.  You will force yourself to learn how to corner and pick the best lines because you will not be able to just horsepower out of it.  (did that make sense?)

My $.01

Dawn  

sdiver68

Everyone I know who starts racing a (4 cyl.) liter bike, and even most who start on 750's,  wished they didn't and come back next year on something smaller if they come back.  Granted the sample size is kinda small, 4 or 5 guys I can think of that tried it.

No one I've heard of that races a LTWT or 600 wished they were on a liter bike.

So, the question of what would I think ?

Cool, another 1000 to beat in ULGP ;)
MCRA Race School Instructor

FastBoy

Thanks for the advice.

Believe me I'm not worried about winning. My only goals for my first year are to not get hurt seriously, don't get anyone else hurt and finish the year with a rideable bike. I am looking to do as many track days and race weekends as I can. Just feel like it's a better alternative to riding on the street for the way I like to ride.

I do have to say though that I have never felt comfortable on a 600. I like feeling like a small rider on a big bike rather than vice versa. To me comfort equates to confidence.

I have no doubt that I'm going to get schooled by better riders regardless of what they're riding but that's what motivates me. I HATE not being one of the best at whatever it is I do. That'll drive me to get better and better. This might take a while though.

TZDeSioux

QuoteCool, another 1000 to beat in ULGP ;)

Experts don't race amateurs  ;)