Opinions on First Bike/Classes

Started by FastBoy, December 23, 2002, 08:42:53 AM

GSXR RACER MIKE

I am one of the apparent rare guys who started on a heavyweight bike and has stayed there (except for a few races this year where I was getting use to racing again after 2 1/2 years off - ran my GSXR 600 only). I purchased my GSXR 600 as a back-up bike / rain bike / opportunity to run more classes.
   I agree with the other racers here about a bigger bike being a handicap to someone just beginning racing at the track. After taking my school at the end of 1995 on an F2 (and never racing that season) I decided to get the latest greatest bad boy bike for racing at that time - the just introduced, completely new 1996 GSXR 750. I felt like I too fit more in this bike than on it like my F2 made me feel (at that time I was 5'-10" / 210 lbs.). So in 1996 I started racing my new GSXR (one of only a few that were raced that year in the CCS midwest region) and quickly realized that even though I had one of the fastest bikes out there, I couldn't keep up with the guys on the smaller bikes (overall lap times that is). At the main straight away I would pass multiple bikes almost every lap only to have those positions  taken away from me by those same guys over the next few turns. I admit now that it had to be frustrating to those guys who were faster than I was, yet they had to go thru passing me almost every lap cause I would pass them on the straight.
   The two biggest things that were keeping me slow at that time (other than lack of racing experience) were suspension and power. Suspension is the No.1 thing you should invest in as a racer. There are not too many worse confidence destroyers as an unstable bike. The suspension on that bike was set-up for something like a 130lb. rider as built by the factory. To compensate I had cranked down the preload on the springs to stop from bottoming the suspension. The problem with this is that you now create a pogo stick type suspension that is overloaded. The 'moment' that changed me for ever was going into turn 1 at BHF, almost completely loosing my brakes, and having to decide if I should try and make the turn or go agricultural racing. I chose to try the turn, and I made it! The kicker to it all was that the suspension didn't feel like a bucking bronco during that manuever (cause there was enough force to keep the suspension loaded thru the whole corner). This one life-altering experience at the end of my first year greatly helped reduce my lap times from then on.
   The other limiter to my getting faster was too much power! One problem is that you get going faster down the straights and then have to adjust your speed for the corner coming up with ultimately less time to do it. Then most likely you will over brake and realize that your now going too slow mid-turn and try and accelerate at that point. This is where having alot of power will bite you. On a 750 & up machine (some smaller bikes too!) you are able to break the rear tire loose very easily. If you don't have great respect for that power under you it is very easy to get the rear end to come around on you unintentionally - many times resulting in a high-side or an underwear change being needed. On the middle weight and lower bikes this is not as much of a problem and therefore lets you get on the throttle sooner and results in lower lap times more easily.
   Though I have only crashed once for this reason, I have had more close calls because of it than I care to remember. If you do decide to race a larger bike I would consider having it slightly de-tuned and/or purchase gearing that is for speeds faster than the track you are at. The reason for the taller gearing is to reduce your ability to spin the rear tire (you could also keep the bike in a gear or two to high for the corner your in - example; use 3rd or 4th gear instead of 2nd for a particular turn).
   No matter what you decide, good luck, and enjoy the racing community!
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

FastBoy

Thanks Mike that helps alot. I already have Ohlins forks and shock and Brembo brakes so I'm good there. I know those are the two areas that are most important to going fast safely whether it be street or track.

Well, looks like I might be investing in a 600 too....damn it!  

sdiver68

Your Ohlins forks / Brembo brakes just cut you from one of the classes you could have run, ULSS...so now you are down to 2 races per weekend if you stay on that bike...ULGP and GTO.  :(

Ditch the monster.  Buy a 600.  And a trailer.  :)

You sound like me last winter when I wanted to maybe race my GSXR1K after having owned liter bikes for the street for several years.  You will make the transition to racing just fine over the course of a couple weekends.  In fact, you will probably be so hooked and learn so much respect for what it really takes to go fast you may just get rid of the streetbike, and certainly will find back road riding boring in comparison.

~~And though its been said, many times, many ways, ditch the monster errrr...errr Merry Christmas...errrrr... Happy Holidays....to you~~~
MCRA Race School Instructor

TreyBone

My advice....... run what ya brung. Ride the $hit out of that 1000 till the wheels fall off.
After a couple of race weekends, everything you have been hearing on this thread doesn't matter because you will then understand ;)

Come aboard and smack that arm with the rest of us ;D

sdiver68

QuoteCome aboard and smack that arm with the rest of us ;D

LOL...visions of Trainspotting ....

YTAK_Racing

FastBoy

Hmm...there's a theme developing here. I heard that others riders will only protest Ohlins/Brembo upgrades once you start winning or beating them. I  don't think I'll have to worry about that for a few years. I'm not going to get rid of my literbike. She's set-up too nicely and well, she's mine!

I am however looking around for a 600 now. Only thing is I've heard and seen the carnage in the AM SS class. Sometimes two wave starts and too much disparity between rider skill. Some guys are haulin arse while others are getting lapped 3 times in a five lap race! (No kidding, I saw it for myself) This may have been an extreme case but even the EX riders I know call it the Meatgrinder class and told me how glad they were to be racing EX from now on. They said they almost felt like they were going to lose their life each race weekend in that class.

dave333

Quote...two wave starts and too much disparity between rider skill. Some guys are haulin arse while others are getting lapped 3 times in a five lap race! (No kidding, I saw it for myself) This may have been an extreme case but even the EX riders I know call it the Meatgrinder class...

I raced in what you and others are calling the "meatgrinder class" for my first races this year.  I had plenty of track time and training from Schwantz Suzuki School before I went out and raced.  I never once "feared for my life".  You have to get used to getting passed and riding in close quarters.  Once my expectations were properly set, I had more fun than a 5 legged man in a butt kicking contest...  Backmarkers give all the new racers someone to practice passing and late braking while the faster amateurs give us lessons in humility.  I'll be back on a 600cc, God willing and the creek don't rise!

sdiver68

ummmm Dave...so I didn't scare you THAT bad, eh ;)

dave333

Quoteummmm Dave...so I didn't scare you THAT bad, eh ;)

Nahhh... Not scared, just mad!  

Like I said before, I'm just gonna lean it a little more and roll on the throttle a little sooner next year.  I hope to make an outside pass a bit more challenging...

Did you appeal your ex promotion?  You ride well enough, why not take advantage of the better teachers?

sdiver68

Dunno if i will or not, well I prolly will appeal, only cause i want to do all the tracks one more time around and also race with my buddies.

Other than Gateway, the only track I went to twice was BHF and it rained both weekends :(

oldguy

Dammit FastBoy. I'm in the same boat. Really gorgeous '01 RC51 with Ohlins & Brembos all around and NO racing license,....... yet. I have a LOT of confidence on that  bike --- more so than my 954.
Sigh.......... now I gotta get a 600. Sh!t!!!! My wife's gonna kill me! I hope I got her an impressive Chrismas gift.
Happy Holidays to all, and I REALLY enjoyed this thread.