News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Supersport weight limits

Started by rmahr137, October 29, 2002, 07:28:00 PM

Bam55

Screw weight limits,  Supersport should be all about, no more valve jobs, only relapping allowed, supension mods should be  allowed, no boring whats so ever allowed.  Exhaust, steering damper, jet kit or FI kits allowed, brake lines, no removal of any charging system parts, no removing any metal from the head PERIOD! Body work replaced, fairing stays replaced, case covers to hamper large oil spills, no degreeig the cams, gearing changes need to be allowed for making the racing more exciting.
 Make this the easiest class for any street monkey, to be competetive in, right off the street . Right now there are so many grey lines in the rules that it becomes outragious to try and set up a new bike to be competetive immediatly for any one, well except I guess the guy with all the exotic metals. Instead of the rules saying what I can do, say what I can't and be specific. >:(

Super Dave

I agree.  I think the motors should be left as close to stock as possible except for some maintenance.

Larry, our wonderful tech inspector, agrees.  We talked with Kevin Elliott about it in August, and he said, "No."

Weight is the new frontier, so it's time to slow that down before it gets out of control.
Super Dave

SUPERBIKE_MIKE

OK here is what I have to say I wont say any names.
Without alot of money it is imposible to win light weight supersport. I tried hard all year long. I dont have a problem when another racers bike weighs 30lbs less than mine but HIS bike weighs 300 lbs. This is unfair for everyone else who runs this class. this class should be for a person that does not have alot of money and the rules alow someone with alot of money to win this class. THE RULES MUST BE CHANGED.

tcchin

Quote...no boring whats so ever allowed...no removing any metal from the head PERIOD! ...no degreeig the cams...

Instead of the rules saying what I can do, say what I can't and be specific.

The only reason I'd hesitate to get behind these particular items is that these are maintenance items that can save you from having to throw out an otherwise salvageable engine. If I could keep from having to discard a motor by boring it 1mm over stock or by lightly skimming the head gasket surface, I can save a bunch of money. And, if I skim the head, the centerline separation between the crank and cams is going to change, so I'll need to degree the cams to compensate. Where's the unfair advantage in that?

If the rules were to say what you can't do, then they would be both voluminous and still full of loopholes. Locking down specific items as being disallowed would be an endless rock hunt. However, if they were to say that all modifications are illegal with the exception of the items that are specifically allowed, then there would be no ambiguity.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that we are not racing in CCS to earn a living. Let's reserve the really restrictive rulebooks for the professionals who are.

Super Dave

QuoteThe only reason I'd hesitate to get behind these particular items is that these are maintenance items that can save you from having to throw out an otherwise salvageable engine. If I could keep from having to discard a motor by boring it 1mm over stock or by lightly skimming the head gasket surface, I can save a bunch of money. And, if I skim the head, the centerline separation between the crank and cams is going to change, so I'll need to degree the cams to compensate. Where's the unfair advantage in that?

Exactly.  I'll agree there.

And we are dealing with production based machines, so one bike might have differences in it that make it worse than another.  Another might be better because the engine was assemble as per what the manufacturer wanted.

Money and Supersport.

I agree with Superbike Mike (M&M - GT Lights Champion) that supersport was originally in tended to be more production based.  Allow the reasonable maintenance/performance items that are simple, valve jobs, cam timing, overbore, head resurfacing, etc.

Keep the charging system, put in a weight limit, mandate certain production items, frame, tank, swingarm, wheels, etc.

If we'd really like to make it even, weigh the rider and the bike together.  I know it won't happen, so I'm throwing it out there just to be annoying.
Super Dave

Eddie#200

QuoteIf we'd really like to make it even, weigh the rider and the bike together.  I know it won't happen, so I'm throwing it out there just to be annoying.

I'm wondering where I would bolt on the extra 280 Lbs on my bike...  some of you guys would have to be disqualified unless you went on a diet to make it more fair for us little guys. ;D