News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Supersport weight limits

Started by rmahr137, October 29, 2002, 07:28:00 PM

rmahr137

I know I already posted this already, but I just sent my letter to Kevin Elliot about getting weight limits setup for supersport bikes next year.  If you support it, please write him or give him a call.

If you don't, well don't do anything

dave333

You are speaking of minimum weight restrictions, correctabo?

rmahr137

yeah, minimum weight.  I was thinking something like 20-30 pounds less than showroom weight would be great.  I think that would pretty much just be what removing the lights and stuff to go racing would add up to, maybe dropping the subframe or something like that.

Like if the bike weighted in at 380 new, set the minimum weight at 360.

TightSqueeze

How about minimums that include the rider?  That way, my 215lbs + a 345lbs SV will equal someone else's 155 + 405.  I mean, if you want to be really fair, you gotta include the ass on the back.

I love the SpeedVision GT series, where, for every win, a driver gets 5lbs added to their car.  So, those cars you see running with +30 have some kick-ass drivers.

bfkidd

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. What is the logic behind that? Go race WERA if you want insane supersport rules. Besides, how do you expect to inforce them? CCS has to carry scales to all the races?

Eddie#200

I'm also curious to know just how light a bike can get after you remove all of the strength.  Also... at the level most of us race, just how much will it improve our lap times V.S. cost you in money, time and safety.  I had a chance to look inside a 2000 TL1000s swing arm when it just broke in a few pieces from normal wear and tear.  IMHO...Bikes are light enough I think.  I did ok on my heavy pig this year.

rmahr137

--(Quote)--That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. What is the logic behind that? Go race WERA if you want insane supersport rules. Besides, how do you expect to inforce them? CCS has to carry scales to all the races?

WERA doesn't race that close to me in the midwest, not nearly as close as CCS, although i think I am going to do some of their close races.  I think scales would be the best idea, but I guess that they could have two people lift up each end and guess!

--(Quote)--I'm also curious to know just how light a bike can get after you remove all of the strength.  Also... at the level most of us race, just how much will it improve our lap times V.S. cost you in money, time and safety.  I had a chance to look inside a 2000 TL1000s swing arm when it just broke in a few pieces from normal wear and tear.  IMHO...Bikes are light enough I think.  I did ok on my heavy pig this year.

7 lbs equals 1 hp.  So a bike that weighs 21lbs more than an equally strong bike has around 3 more hp.  That is a lot in a supersport class if you ask me

tcchin

I don't support this idea, and doing nothing just seems wrong.

The whole point of supersport racing is to use a nearly-stock bike. Adding diving weights to a new R6 in order to make it weigh the same as a 1993 ZX6E seems kinda... stupid. It is stupid in the context of CCS club racing, and it was stupid in AMA Pro racing, from which it has since been eliminated.

And that 7 lbs = 1 bhp equation doesn't have much basis in reality. It's based on the power:weight ratio of a 450 lb bike with 85 bhp being ridden by a 170 lb rider. Even using modern machinery that yields a power:weight ratio closer to 4.5:1,  this equation makes no sense. If it did, it would mean that Jamie Hacking's GSX-R600 should have had nearly 8 bhp more than Aaron Yates' identical bike, meaning that poor Aaron should have been left for dead in every race. Of course, this was not the case.

jim_p

I know this may sound expensive, but how about CCS purchase a couple of Dyno jet 150's-calibrate them to match each other and have a horsepower limit. I know people do not want to admit it but some people actually cheat so why not let everyone cheat as much as they like as long as they don't make to much H.P.? as far as weight goes at this level, remove what you want and if you weaken your bike then you are putting yourself in harms way.CCS is a business and may have to take some of our hard earned money and invest it in there business.Protests for the most part are a joke from what I have seen and I have been around off and on for 17 yrs.I have not seen a spec book with tolerances for all manufactures and a set of machinist mic's and calipers to check the parts.So I say build it,but not too much..

Xian_13

??? Maybe I missed something here...
YOu want CCS to buy Scales?.. and spend more time Teching bikes?...
One guys wants CCS to get dynos?
Okay I am so lost as to where this is going... At the last race I ran.. Gingermen, I saw a SV650 Basicly Stock win the GTU race (thats a Mid-weight Class for those who didn't know). I think its silly to talk about asking CCS to do more with cash... if they have extra cash give it to the corner works.. if they didn't have the cash... they would just pass the bill to us...
No thank you. 8)
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

MudDawg

Puhleeze!  At the club level you do NOT need to be checking wieghts on bikes...except for $$$ races.  That being said...I run fairly competetively on a supersport SV (Not my suberbike SV) in the Expert LTSS class.  I have't even tried to lighten the bike....and I'm not exactly dainty at 224 lbs.  

jim_p

I agree with the last guy and giving the cash to the corner workers. The reason I suggested the Dyno thing was that everyone is concerned with weight and horsepower and what advantage the next guy MAY have.There are few if any guys that can ride todays machines at there limits and NONE of them are in CCS OR WERA.Our regions fastest guy is a 20th place finisher in AMA-I think we need to concentrate on other areas.But I do think CCS should be more prepared with tare downs. The full pop protest costs $500 and I have been robbed of this money by what was clearly an illegal bike back in 97' at R.A. and the not only got the cash but the contingency-He brought a different bike to tech after a race that was being torn down by the rider-BY HAND!!!!!!!!!