How about modifying the CCS Midwest Schedule??

Started by tshort, October 29, 2004, 08:37:55 AM

tshort

Since the bulk of the Midwest region riders come from Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota and Iowa, why not focus on Midwest tracks, instead of going to Topeka and Omaha??  Those seem like Great Plains locations to me.

Now with this new Chicago Autobahn track, we could run there, BFR, RA, and Gingerman, and maybe add Brainerd, and there would be enough variety to make it fun, and keep it down to under-five-hour trips for many of the people in the region. (da Yueppers notwithstanding...).

Thoughts?
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

Pierre - Team PMR

Pierre Montsion
Team PMR
CCS EX# 280

Mark Bernard

I like the idea also Tom. We need to send out some e-mails to Kevin E. and hopefully we can get something going. Topeka absolutley sucked! If we could just omit that track altogether and I would be a happy racer. Write up a proposal and e-mail me a copy and I will send a similar one to CCS myself. Bernie...!
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

Woofentino Pugrossi

Nice idea. Only hitch is, I'm pretty sure that Autobahn will be off limits to racing orgs due to local restrictions. Thats what I heard.

But lets go back to having the mw first race at BHF. I like to get the cobwebs out BEFORE RA. Like many people I dont have any inkling to drive 14 hours one way to Topeka for a 1 day race weekend. Cant imagine how long that is for Stumpy. MAM is about my limit for distance. Go back to 6 weekends at BHF a year. Since I've been with CCS I can only remember 1 year we had to deal with snow on the first weekend and it wasnt that much of a hassle.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

K3 Chris Onwiler

Autobahn is probably not going to happen for CCS, either because of what Rob said with regulations, or because the venue cost might be more than CCS is willing to pay.  The thread said that WERA might hold a race at Autobahn, so maybe racing will actually be allowed there.  I heard Autobahn would be for clubs, members and track days only, but who knows for sure?
Also, no camping?  Rats.  I only live 30 minutes away, but I'd still camp there if it was allowed. Saturday night camping with your buddies is some of the best fun you can have at a race weekend.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteAlso, no camping?  Rats.  I only live 30 minutes away, but I'd still camp there if it was allowed. Saturday night camping with your buddies is some of the best fun you can have at a race weekend.

But we all could set up a campsite in your yard.:D:D:D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

K3 Chris Onwiler

Midwest tracks?  How about:
Gateway 2
Blackhawk 4
Road America 2
Gingerman 4
Grattan 2
 That's a 14 round season, centered in a circle around lake Michigan.  These are the tracks most Midwesterners can get to with any ease, and they're all good tracks.
 Obviously, some of these rounds would be combined with Great Lakes or Great Plains.
GL could include Gingerman and Grattan, along with Nelson and Beaver Run  This would take care of the Lower Michigan, Ohio, indiana and Pennysilvannia guys.  
GP could include Brainerd, MAM, Topeka, and Hallett, with maybe a Gateway and a Blackhawk thrown in.
Another possibility is that CCS could adopt a points formula like SCCA used when my dad ran there:

Count your ten best finishes in each class to determine the points champions per region.  Two races from outside the region could be counted among the ten finishes.  This allows bad luck to be tossed out four times, thus meaning that the best riders would have a better chance of winning the championships.  CCS racing customers would still race all the rounds unless they scored ten wins in the first ten rounds, and the two results from outside the region option would let travel buffs and riders on the edge of a region do what they need to do.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

StumpysWife

Don't worry about us!  We're not afraid of a little road trip!  Good thing, too.

Road America is closest at 4 hours.
Blackhawk is second at about 6 hours.
Then it gets ugly and really frightening for those of you with mileage limits!

Topeka at 16 hours will be worth the trip if repaved.

MAM is worth the trip at 14 hours for the 4th of July holiday.

Gateway...never again.  Bleck.  :P

We'll probably try Grattan someday.  I think that's about 5-6 hours.  Brainerd is on our list for next year with CRA--also close at 6 hours.

The motorhome makes traveling 110% easier--except when Stumpy decides he's a trucker and gets called "trailer bearings" on the CB.

Really the only change I'd like is if CCS could get in at Brainerd.  I'd love another Road America, but it doesn't sound like a good financial decision for CCS.

Everyone has their preferences, I guess.

Heather

PS - Tom, for future reference, it's "Yoopers".   ;)

ekraft84

Hey All,

WERA has 2 dates at the new Autobahn track for sure (per Sean Clarke and Road Racing World).

I'm from Michigan, and there's *alot* of us here.  :)  A true "Great Lakes" region to us guys would be Grattan, Gingerman, BeaveRun (PA) Nelson Ledges, and Putnam (plus the new IL track).

Everyone's from a different area, but I think Gingerman and Grattan are two key tracks; especially for people who used to be part of GLRRA (Great Lakes Road Racing Assoc).  If one organization were to get both, I think that'd be pretty big in terms of drawing riders.

The bridge with WERA and Putnam did get burned, but adding the new track in IL is very cool and I think a lot of people are excited about it.  A 5-6 hour drive is worth it to me.

[clink, clink]
Eddie Kraft - #48
Witchkraft Racing
Honda East Racing - Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Aprilia

salex43

Well i know alot of people that are going to be racing WERA just for the Autobaun race.  Beaverun is also another great track.  You can keep Road America the pavemnet sucks and in the begining of the year the average temp during the race weekend ends up being under 45 degrees.  No thank you.  I would still run the Gingerman and Blackhawk rounds though.

H-man

QuoteI'm from Michigan ....  :)  A true "Great Lakes" region to us guys would be Grattan, Gingerman, BeaveRun (PA) Nelson Ledges, and Putnam (plus the new IL track).

Everyone's from a different area, but I think Gingerman and Grattan are two key tracks; especially for people who used to be part of GLRRA (Great Lakes Road Racing Assoc).  If one organization were to get both, I think that'd be pretty big in terms of drawing riders.

Yeah!  What he said.  

H-man
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

EX#996

Good idea Tom...

Pretty good schedule Chris...

Heather, I think we're going to try and make it out to MAM for the fouth of July weekend next year too.  We had a blast, even with the flying 55 gallon drums.  (Gotta save money....  gotta save money....  gotta save money....)  

:)
Paul and Dawn Buxton