News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

how to be good neighboors 101,  Part 2

Started by Steviebee, July 28, 2004, 11:03:26 AM

hdpromos

You can say what you want but F-1, NASCAR, NHRA, CART and others run w/out any mufflers. And now the GP's are doing it because it works. Sound is a big part of the drama of racing. As far as noise restrictions, there are none at Moroso or Homestead. I don't see anybody trying to quiet down any of the above race series. In fact the sound of F-1 is one of the main selling points of that series. I heard the sound of 26 GP bikes at Mugello and Catalunya and it was very impressive. And that's why I'm trying it with our premier class (Expert Unlimited GP).

HD

bsavoie

I know that F-1, Nascar, Moto- GP, ect have no mufflers, but they get away with it for two reasons. One, they bring in hundreds of thousands of fans at a time, so the community will put up with the noise for a day for the large boost in the local economy.  But even larger reason for them getting away with it, is the fact that F-1 or MOTO- GP only comes to your town once a year.  Now take your average local track, they are either running club events or track days every weekend.  how many fans did that bring in, a half dozen or so? People won't put up with that every weekend.
I seen this first hand when I used to race snowmobiles up north in MI. The I-500 race in Sault Ste Marie is the granddaddy of all sled races, and is almost being forced to shut down because of a few people that moved in next to a forty year established race. ( I personally love the sound of a totally built, inline-triplle two stroke with three expansion chambers and no silencers, but that's just me.) 8)  Some people complaining live as far as 15 miles away, when forty engines get running at 13 grand like that, it really carries a long way.

hdpromos

I beg to differ with you as Moroso has drag races every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights and they are much louder than the bikes will ever be and Homestead runs auto races regularly that are much louder than the bikes and most of those events do not pull as many spectators as we do at both venues. We have always had a strong spectator base in south Florida and I believe this will bring even more spectators to our events.

HD

Woofentino Pugrossi

WHat ever happened to watching races for the RACES and BATTLES FOR POSITION? THe short tracks around here require mufflers. They still are loud, but not to the point of ruining your hearing.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

hdpromos

I have seen the GP's with mufflers and W/O and watched "close racing for position".Either way they're great but the new GP sound does it for me and obviously the and large and enthusiastic crowds that attend GP's now. The people who run the GP's and promote them agree that the new sound is one of the major reasons for it's increasing success.

HD

hooter31

i'm all for it as long as you pull the muffler off on pit road before entering the track and replace it when you come off the track ;D.i couldn't stand it when a kx500 would pit next to me with it's megaphone :-/,though the sound of an open pipe motor screaming aat 12000rpm might change my mind ;)

hdpromos

The plan is for Expert Unlimited GP class only ;)

HD