how to be good neighboors 101,  Part 2

Started by Steviebee, July 28, 2004, 11:03:26 AM

Steviebee

http://venus.13x.com/roadracingworld/scripts/NewsInsert.asp?insert=10119

Think we could get away with this at blackhawk ?

KBOlsen

Personally, I love the way my bike sounds with open headers...  so VOLUPTUOUS!  SO ANGRY!!
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

spyderchick

Henry's nuts!  :o (sorry Henry).

We already have to deal with p!ssed off residents at certain tracks. Yeah, let's run the suckas without cans at all. That'll make 'em happy.  :o :(
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

spyderchick

QuotePersonally, I love the way my bike sounds with open headers...  so VOLUPTUOUS!  SO ANGRY!!
Kimmie, you're saying waaaaay too much about yourself, Girlfreind.  ;) ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

Dawn

We ran an FZR400 without a muffler once.....

I think some of the cows are deaf now...   ;D

tigerblade

Kinda surprises me that the bikes ran okay without them.  Wouldn't you need changes to the mapping?   ???
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

r6_philly

Matt Wait ran his open pipe R6 at summit last year, it was fun hearing it half way around the track during the TC. Sounds cool. Must wear earplugs (which I don't).

Try dyno that thing! may be louder than some of your buells  :o

Lowe119

I talked to tech about it and they said it would fly at Road America, but probably not at BFR. I guess BFR has a decibel limit - I can't remember but I think it was something like 110 db ??? I was planning on doing it, but never got around to figuring out the jetting - plus if I was told to put the muffler back on, my jetting would be screwed.

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteI talked to tech about it and they said it would fly at Road America, but probably not at BFR. I guess BFR has a decibel limit - I can't remember but I think it was something like 110 db ??? I was planning on doing it, but never got around to figuring out the jetting - plus if I was told to put the muffler back on, my jetting would be screwed.

BHF is 103. Even in CCS's own rulebook it states 105db is the limit for CCS (Section 1.12 or page 7 in teh 2004 book).

Imagine 40 bikes running mufflerless. There is no way in hell will you hear any announcements for 1st, 2nd or 3rd call.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Protein Filled

I ran the final laps of the Road America Team Challenge with open headers... not by choice though!

Oh, and my bike lost all midrange when it happened, so I am not sure how they can say that it didn't affect their performance!

Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

r6_philly

if you have a PC installed it would be relatively easy to remap it richer. A lot richer. It would be a lot easy to do this with a FI bike rather than carbed. Then you can put it on when it is required.

By the way, head tech or race referee has the last say on the rule book anyway, so if they decide to raise the limit or ignored for one day, they just have to let you know at riders meeting.

spyderchick

That's why it's know affectionately as the "CCS" suggestion" book. ;)
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

KBOlsen

:o

Relax... much as John wants to run wide open, I'll keep my mufflers!  The last thing BHF needs is the neighbors bitchin' about CCS!
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

Lowe119

I just wanted to do it because of the cost - I wouldn't have to buy an aftermarket exhaust and wouldn't have to replace one if I wrecked.  :P ;D I was planning on just making a carbon fiber cone to route it out the side

Mark Bernard

I run a Force header on the Buell. It just might as well be an open header. I know that I am one of the loudest out there. Which by the way is a little bit of a dis-advantage. I cant hear when anybody comes up on me but they sure as hell can hear me comming up on them. Kind of hard to be a sneeky bastard with such a loud bike!  ;)
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

CCSRacer114

QuoteHenry's nuts!  :o (sorry Henry).

We already have to deal with p!ssed off residents at certain tracks. Yeah, let's run the suckas without cans at all. That'll make 'em happy.  :o :(

Both of these tracks are in the middle of nowhere with no neighbors.  Notice it's only at Moroso and Homestead, not JenningsGP, not Daytona.

Heck, Moroso runs jet cars on the drag strip! I think those are a bit louder than a 1K with open pipe.

spyderchick

QuoteI run a Force header on the Buell. It just might as well be an open header. I know that I am one of the loudest out there. Which by the way is a little bit of a dis-advantage. I cant hear when anybody comes up on me but they sure as hell can hear me comming up on them. Kind of hard to be a sneeky bastard with such a loud bike!  ;)

"Loud pipes let your competitors know who's coming up behind them" is a bit long for a jacket patch or bumper sticker.  :P ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

Stinger562

I run a Force can too, I thought it was blown since I bought it used, I guess they are just loud.  I'm all for loud/streight pipes, my buddies know I'm on their ass so get out of the way. In most cases the track has been there longer than the neighbors, jennings is one exception.

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteIn most cases the track has been there longer than the neighbors, jennings is one exception.

Well its not hard to get a track shut down if the neighbors get a good lawyer. Hell look at airports that had runways or themselves totally shut down because of noise. And those airports been there before the subdivisions were.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141

cornercamping

Let me fire up one of these big twins with a straight pipe :D  At first you'll be like :o and then nothing but ;D  Carbon Oversized Airbox + 57mm throttle bodies + Open pipes and its  ;D all day long.

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteLet me fire up one of these big twins with a straight pipe :D  At first you'll be like :o and then nothing but ;D  Carbon Oversized Airbox + 57mm throttle bodies + Open pipes and its  ;D all day long.

Funny thing is, people think it affects just the immediate neighbors. A friend of mine lives near Woodmans in Beloit and we can hear the bikes there.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141

cornercamping

QuoteFunny thing is, people think it affects just the immediate neighbors. A friend of mine lives near Woodmans in Beloit and we can hear the bikes there.

He'll be like  :o at first too, but then  ;D

Woofentino Pugrossi

With him, yeah he loves it. But I dont think it impresses the seniors home or alot of others.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141

cornercamping

QuoteBut I dont think it impresses the seniors home or alot of others.

Seniors are deaf  ::)  Just ask H-man  ;) ;D :-X

hdpromos

You can say what you want but F-1, NASCAR, NHRA, CART and others run w/out any mufflers. And now the GP's are doing it because it works. Sound is a big part of the drama of racing. As far as noise restrictions, there are none at Moroso or Homestead. I don't see anybody trying to quiet down any of the above race series. In fact the sound of F-1 is one of the main selling points of that series. I heard the sound of 26 GP bikes at Mugello and Catalunya and it was very impressive. And that's why I'm trying it with our premier class (Expert Unlimited GP).

HD

bsavoie

I know that F-1, Nascar, Moto- GP, ect have no mufflers, but they get away with it for two reasons. One, they bring in hundreds of thousands of fans at a time, so the community will put up with the noise for a day for the large boost in the local economy.  But even larger reason for them getting away with it, is the fact that F-1 or MOTO- GP only comes to your town once a year.  Now take your average local track, they are either running club events or track days every weekend.  how many fans did that bring in, a half dozen or so? People won't put up with that every weekend.
I seen this first hand when I used to race snowmobiles up north in MI. The I-500 race in Sault Ste Marie is the granddaddy of all sled races, and is almost being forced to shut down because of a few people that moved in next to a forty year established race. ( I personally love the sound of a totally built, inline-triplle two stroke with three expansion chambers and no silencers, but that's just me.) 8)  Some people complaining live as far as 15 miles away, when forty engines get running at 13 grand like that, it really carries a long way.

hdpromos

I beg to differ with you as Moroso has drag races every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights and they are much louder than the bikes will ever be and Homestead runs auto races regularly that are much louder than the bikes and most of those events do not pull as many spectators as we do at both venues. We have always had a strong spectator base in south Florida and I believe this will bring even more spectators to our events.

HD

Woofentino Pugrossi

WHat ever happened to watching races for the RACES and BATTLES FOR POSITION? THe short tracks around here require mufflers. They still are loud, but not to the point of ruining your hearing.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141

hdpromos

I have seen the GP's with mufflers and W/O and watched "close racing for position".Either way they're great but the new GP sound does it for me and obviously the and large and enthusiastic crowds that attend GP's now. The people who run the GP's and promote them agree that the new sound is one of the major reasons for it's increasing success.

HD

hooter31

i'm all for it as long as you pull the muffler off on pit road before entering the track and replace it when you come off the track ;D.i couldn't stand it when a kx500 would pit next to me with it's megaphone :-/,though the sound of an open pipe motor screaming aat 12000rpm might change my mind ;)

hdpromos

The plan is for Expert Unlimited GP class only ;)

HD