BHF Crashfest

Started by GSXR RACER MIKE, May 09, 2004, 08:24:31 PM

cornercamping

QuoteMike-

Please get your wrist checked ASAP. ÊI had what appeared to be a fairly mild wrist injury 2 years ago. ÊIt ended up being pretty major. ÊI was initially misdiagnosed and then poorly treated. ÊI have since had 4 surgeries and now have only about 15 degrees flexion/extention, where almost 180 degrees is normal.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but your wrist is an amazing joint that can be fragile and really impact your life if it is damaged and not properly treated.

Yeah, and you won't be able to "pleasure" yourself that much too if your wrist is screwed up  :P

Sorry, had to throw that in  :-X

Nate R

Mike: What do you do for a living?

Sorry to hear about your crash.  :-/
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

Super Dave

Well, this is club racing.

Yeah, but it's actually a "Pro/AM" event too.  There was $6k up for grabs in four expert races.  Didn't see any problems in those races I was in, but that may have been the company that I was racing with.

Yeah, Mike, might not be bad to go to the doctor and show them what happened when you fell down the stairs...those stairs...dangerous...

8)

If it is busted, I've got the hook up on the bone stuff for mending that.  I've broken my hand, finger, and foot before...not all racing...really...and they still moved.  Some hurt and some didn't.  But that wrist thing...

My hand was broken in 1988 at Grattan.  Doctor in Michigan thought it should be pinned.  Was set by my doctor at home.  Had problems with it, and I had to have it rebroken and pinned together in 1992.  Now that was painful.
Super Dave

Jeff

QuoteMy hand was broken in 1988 at Grattan.  Doctor in Michigan thought it should be pinned.  Was set by my doctor at home.  Had problems with it, and I had to have it rebroken and pinned together in 1992.  Now that was painful.

Did they make you crash again?  ;D
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Super Dave

LOL...I wish.  

The break at Grattan wasn't too painful.  I guess I have a high tolerence for pain, so I'm told.  I usually just don't notice.

I assume that it's just chisels and hammers for surgery.  I wanted to be awake for it all, but I guess the process is a bit long (hour and a half?) and, as the doctor said, "...it might be a bit...uncomfortable."  It was.  The pins were supposed to work right through my skin, eventually, but they never did.  I guess that was part of the discomfort...the constant movement of the pins against the tissues.  
Super Dave

GSXR RACER MIKE

QuoteMike: What do you do for a living?

Sorry to hear about your crash.  :-/

I am technically a Tool & Die Maker, but I do a wide variety of things at work, currently it's mostly been on a CNC mill, conventional EDM, industrial Laser, and some Tig welding. I realize that wrist mobility is very important for me so I really should get it looked at. I think that a tree root that was sticking out of the ground while I was walking across my yard Sunday night tripped me and I fell on my wrist pretty hard. Those darn strairs have already taken me out in the past (  ;) ) so I probably won't go there. I have broken 9 bones in the past including 3 in my foot, my ankle, 4 ribs, and a finger (all on my left side, and this is my left wrist!)
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

grasshopper

Stupid Question

If someone trys to stuff you into a corner like that can you use self defense and try to kick them out of the way. I know that sounds really risky, but if that person is that close to you, there may be no other choice but that or to crash.

Hey mike, glad you're alright man. My wrist is still messed up from crashing out of turn 5 at Gratton Last year. I alway jam it or hurt it again to when I'm riding off road or doing other things.

I guess it's all in the game, if you're going to play, you'll eventually Pay in one way or another.

tzracer

Kicking the other bike is really no different than the 2 bikes colliding. Newton said that for every force there is an equal and opposite force. If you kick the other bike, the force applied to you and your bike will be the same force as you apply with your foot on the other bike (same size force, opposite direction). It is impossible to hit something harder than it hits back.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Super Dave

QuoteStupid Question

If someone trys to stuff you into a corner like that can you use self defense and try to kick them out of the way. I know that sounds really risky, but if that person is that close to you, there may be no other choice but that or to crash.

I guess it's all in the game, if you're going to play, you'll eventually Pay in one way or another.

Kick someone?  Yeah, it's completely ridiculous to think that.  Riders will make mistakes.  Even the person riding your bike will make mistakes.  

More often than not, we save it.  And even when we don't, riders are generally getting up.

But riders do continue to buy blow out leathers.  What someone can build and sell for less...hey, there is a cost for it.  There are several reasons why I've been with the same leather manufacturer for so long.

I'm going to infer upon my experiences about all of this.

I've been racing since 1987.  There were no track days then.  Maybe there was California Superbike School, but I never went.  I raced.  

At that time, as racers, we were always trying to achieve something more.  I wanted support, a ride, etc.  So, I started AMA racing in 1989.  Never complained about riders "going too fast" during practice.  I always figured that the only way that I could figure out what the bike was going to do at speed was to try to get up to speed.  

Rather than just "wanting" to enter an AMA event to "guage myself", I wanted to beat everyone.  I've been on the track with Kipp, DuHammel, Russel, Lawson, James, Chandler,etc...  

But beyond that, I've been on the second row of an AMA national behind those guys too.

With all the track day stuff going on, it seems like the track day mentality is weeping into actual road race competition at the "club" level.  It isn't a track day.  When I go to an AMA event, I understand that contact will potentially occur between myself and other competitors.  

At Blackhawk this weekend, with there being Yamaha money, I had reasonable expectations of that also.  Jensen is a seasoned AMA veteran and made $120k last year in Yamaha money before expenses.  Tez is a good rider and is becoming more seasoned after all the AMA rounds.  Shawn Conrad is an AMA National Road Racing Champion.  Purk?  Lots of local championships and lots of experience.  Yet, we all seemed to get around ok without contact this weekend.

Stupid moves...Morgan Broadhead, the director of On-Road Competition for American Suzuki Motor Corportation took me out when he out broke himself and bowled me over at RA turn five (Morgan is a good sized guy).  I'm unhappy with him, but it happens.  I don't have the budget to have those kind of things to happen to me, but they will happen.

Stupid moves on one side can be opportunities when looked at from the other.  I don't think it makes anything right or wrong.  I can feel your pain, Mike.

I think it was Sean Wyatt that fell down with you, if I'm not correct, #29?  Is his name here swyatt?  He's an engineer with Ford.  Might have been a mistake...I don't have a reply from him, so I don't know his condition myself.

Super Dave

StumpysWife

Great post, Dave.

Thank you CCS for breaking up AM & EX for the most part, too.  I think that made a difference for the better--less of a mess.  Delays seemed to be minimal with the exception of a way early third calls.  But that's easy to live with.  

I'm no racer but I don't think there's a need for kicking in road racing.  Nudging, leaning and bumping will happen, but intentional kicking can stay out.  

Stumpy's fortunate enough to run with a group of guys that he trusts out there and he appreciates that--so do I.

Heather

cornercamping

No kicking  :o  Quick, someone call Yates and let him know  ;D

GSXR RACER MIKE

QuoteI think it was Sean Wyatt that fell down with you, if I'm not correct, #29?  Is his name here swyatt?  He's an engineer with Ford.  Might have been a mistake...I don't have a reply from him, so I don't know his condition myself.

The person that pushed me off the track didn't go down himself, he used me as a berm to stay on the track, I personally feel that he couldn't have made the turn in the 1st place based on the line he took into the side of me. The # 29 bike crashed in turn 7 on the last lap, we just picked up his bike on the way in, that's why that bike was on the trailer with me.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96