News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Ultra-Light Superbike Class  question

Started by Suicide_Blonde, December 28, 2003, 04:31:34 PM

Zac

This year in the southwest region I have never seen any bikes race ULWSB that would have an unfair advantage over the singles.  So far we've had me on the CR500, my wife on her MZ, an RZ350, and a Hawk as the regulars.  I've also see a couple other motards, a TZR250, an FZ600, and an Aprillia 50 with a 150cc MX engine stuffed in it.  No one out here must have a Buell or an 800cc Duc to come clean up the class.

I think a well built single can take on pretty much any bike that actually is built to the rules of ULWSB.  Basically the intent is to have a class for all the bikes slower than an SV, and I've seen plenty of singles mix it up with SVs.  If some really fast firebolts or Triumphs are showing up in your region and have an unfair advantage, write a letter to Kevin to propose a rules change.

I just want to see more people in this class.  Racing the little bikes is so much fun!

-z.

PJ

QuoteI have never seen any bikes race ULWSB that would have an unfair advantage over the singles.

Since when is ULSB considered a singles class? The rules for the class are the same as the old Middleweight Sportsman Superbike rules. In the Midwest region, we have a farily healthy contingent of Aprila 250/316s, Ducati 750/800s, Kaw EX 500s, Buell XB9s, FZR 400/560s, Hawk 700s, etc. If you rule out all the bikes that would have an "unfair" advantage over the singles, guess what? There wouldn't be ANY bikes in the class...
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

CCS854

Quote...Basically the intent is to have a class for all the bikes slower than an SV, and I've seen plenty of singles mix it up with SVs.  If some really fast firebolts or Triumphs are showing up in your region and have an unfair advantage, write a letter to Kevin to propose a rules change.

Zac, mixing it up occasionally w/a stock motored SV isn't exactly the same as mounting a championship effort against a (former) HeavyWeight SPrtsmn bike on a (former) LW Sprtsmn bike.  The bikes that were incorporated into U L/W Sprtsmn from MW Sprtsmn started out in HW Sprtsmn (now T-bikes) before the MW class was created. Obviously a built Buell, Duc 750, Tri 900, FZR 400/560 or Hawk for that matter has an advantage over a thumper, EX, GS, etc.  At the Summit Point round of F-USA/CCS, the first 4 of 7 in U L/W Sprbike (EX) were (former) MW Sprtsmn bikes.  First LW SPrtsmn bike was last yr's champion on an MZ in 5th place.  

QuoteI just want to see more people in this class.  Racing the little bikes is so much fun! -z.

I want to see more people too, but in what class?  Do we want some version of the old Sportsman class back, or do we subsidize this class by 'filling the grid' with non-competitve bikes.  Yes, it's fun to be the underdog...it would be fun to 'bump-up' to this class, but to bump-up first you have to have a class to bump FROM ;)  

I plan to contact Kevin, but right now I'm talking to the guys who were in the old LW Sprtsmn/SSingles classes to see what the interest is.  Would you like our old class back, or are you happy being a permanent underdog?  

CCS854

QuoteSince when is ULSB considered a singles class? The rules for the class are the same as the old Middleweight Sportsman Superbike rules. In the Midwest region, we have a farily healthy contingent of Aprila 250/316s, Ducati 750/800s, Kaw EX 500s, Buell XB9s, FZR 400/560s, Hawk 700s, etc. If you rule out all the bikes that would have an "unfair" advantage over the singles, guess what? There wouldn't be ANY bikes in the class...

You're right PJ, this isn't a 'singles'class, nor is it an EX, GS, RZ 350, etc class...that was eliminated for this year.  :'(  It's the old MW Sportsman class, which was carved out of the old HW Sportsman class (now Thunderbikes).  This yr CCS took 3 classes and combined them into 1...problem is that the bikes from LW Sportsman got shoved into the same class with the MW Sportsman bikes.  Good for the MWs, not good for the LWs.  

No one's been talking about 'ruling out' anybody, or eliminating anything, but I have been advocating retaining one Sportsman class that combines the LW Sportsman/Super Singles bikes.  

EM JAY

QuoteThere wouldn't be ANY bikes in the class...
Hey!  I'm still runnin the MZ in ULSB, don't you see me as you lap me?  ;D ;)
Michael Jordan
           CCS EX #??   ASRA #??
   01 SV Midwest
  Thanks to Expert Racing Ltd. in Chicago and Madness Custom Choppers of Fox Lake

Zac

QuoteFirst LW SPrtsmn bike was last yr's champion on an MZ in 5th place.  

By saying singles I didn't necessarly mean MZs.  In the old supersingles class did the average MZ have much chance against a Duc Supermono, or a Tigcraft Midimoto, or a Woods/Rotax in a TZ 250 frame?  These were all legal for SuperSingles and in the right hands (not mine) could do rather well against the "faster" ULWSB bikes.

One downsde of little bikes is that a power advantage can make a real difference.  Give someone on a liter bike 10 more HP and unless they are a pro, they aren't going to go any faster.  Give an extra 3 HP to someone on a 60 HP bike and they can put that HP to work and make a difference in lap times.  In that way ULWSB is more of a tuner's class than the more mainstream classes, every little bit counts.

-z.

PJ

Quote Hey!  I'm still runnin the MZ in ULSB, don't you see me as you lap me?  ;D ;)

Sorry EM JAY...I shouldn't have said any...

Actually, I think there are a couple of MZs out there, no?

I love the diversity of the ULSB class. And I certainly understand the desire of singles riders to have a class they can be competitive in. Maybe they should allow you guys in the 125 race? There's not too many of them around anymore either. Except at Barber...
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing