Naked Bike Racing

Started by TiffineyIngram, September 17, 2003, 01:12:23 PM

tshort

I would, however, be all in favor of a new class only for races that had points updates done the day after every race weekend.  Not sure what the size/weight limitations would be, but I'd strap bricks onto my SV to make it legal, if necessary. ;D
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

Super Dave

QuoteI AM SURE THE MANUFACTORERS ARE LOOKING TO PUMP CERTAIN NEW MODELS SO A SPEC CLASS IS BOUND TO RETURN,  WHEN YAMAHA SPONSERED THE SECA CHALLANGE THAT WAS SOME OF THE BEST MONEY A LOCAL RIDER COULD EARN WITH OUT SPENDING DOUBLE TO MAKE IT.

Which models?  Only a small portion of models sold in the US are race bikes.  I think the one that had the highest ratio was maybe the Yamaha RZ350.

The Seca Challenge was for Amateurs only.  Was interesting, but amateurs should focus on learning.

MZ had series under AHRMA for spec MZ Skorpions.  I did this in 1998.  Was fun, was cheap, and it was poorly attended.  Doesn't seem to work like it does in Europe.

In the US, Harley did it with the 883 class in regional as well as AMA Pro and NASB.  Then went to the Buell series.  Again, it has been done.  The Suzuki Cup Series seems to work, but during the year, they race against the other brands.  Honda did the same thing in having a finale at the end of the year, but I think they ended that after 1994.

I think the only way a spec series would really work would be in the way that I have heard some of my friends in Europe talk about it.

There, they had identically prepped Honda 600's available.  You brought your shock and forks to the track and put it on the bike.  Race.  Set up is the key as the rest of the bike is identical.  Interesting, but tell me who you know that would have the money to do it.

Additionally, if you're supported by a good Yamaha dealership...mine is http://www.sportsmanspark.net ...I'm not going to enter a Honda Cup Series event unless it's big money.  Not sure who will.

Seems like there are guys that feel that there isn't fair play.  I'll agree with it to a certain point, but set up in road racing is the key.  HP won't make that much of a difference.

As for a rider that has objectives and adgendas...

Honestly, I can only say that I see reasonable rules and fair play as the objectives that should be addressed.  Manufacturers have adgendas, but that doesn't let CCE or the AMA keep them out of negotiations for new classes (FUSA Superbike) and the like.  

I think it is somewhat disappointing to many riders that there isn't a rider that has any input.  There are times where the riders do not agree at all with the officials.  Our safety issues sometimes exist where they don't even appear on an officials screen.  Not that we're trying to be mean, but when you're trying to go fast, things change a bit.  I'm sure that some riders feel that their issues don't get the validity that they deserve.

There should be some amount of input from us.  After all, with out the riders, there would be no racing, period.

Back to spec racing....  It isn't cheap.  Try making an AMA Supersport bike.  Lots of work and lots of money to try to work within the parameters.  FUSA Sportbike, on the other hand, that's at least reasonable.  Yet, few riders seem to enter that class at the regional series even though it has a purse?
 ???  What's up with that?
Super Dave

dave , i do agree with you for sure, as I am a yamaha man myself , best dealer in world is www.rivayamaha.com .

As all can see the need for more afordable safer racing is the key , look at the supermotard's this is taking off like sliced bread everyone wants it.

the cost is nothing, and currently even at the ama pro level there is still the chance a no name can win. the purse is certainly not there yet. but if it keeps snowballing it will over run roadracing and speed vision will be showing it live rather that ama 750 superstock(suzuki cup), or world supersport (ducati cup)  

They show slow the bikes down and work towards safer tracks, and get the cost of racing on a local level back to an affordable cost. this needs help in all angles  tire's, fuel, entries, bodywork, suspension etc.  

Super Dave

QuoteAs all can see the need for more afordable safer racing is the key , look at the supermotard's this is taking off like sliced bread everyone wants it.

Supermotard is expensive.  Bike, rims, road race tires.  The tires get trashed.  Almost the same costs.  

Quotethe cost is nothing, and currently even at the ama pro level there is still the chance a no name can win.

I completely disagree with that statement.  I can think of no "no name" that has ever done well.  Their roots are usually traceable.  It costs an easy $70k to do one class in the AMA.  Jason Pridmore told me it cost him $30k for each class in 1993.  I did the whole series AMA series (750 and 600SS) and a regional series for about $18k.  I though that was a lot.

Quotebut if it keeps snowballing it will over run roadracing and speed vision will be showing it live rather that ama 750 superstock(suzuki cup), or world supersport (ducati cup)

It would have to have stars.  Bikes are not cool to watch, only people that are cool enough to get something out of them.  IROC...it wasn't about the cars, it was about the drivers. 

QuoteThey show slow the bikes down and work towards safer tracks, and get the cost of racing on a local level back to an affordable cost. this needs help in all angles  tire's, fuel, entries, bodywork, suspension etc.  

Ok, give me five ways to reduce the costs that would effectively reduce the costs.  Be careful, this is hard, and I'm not trying to be mean, but trying to reduce costs sometimes raises others exponentally.
Super Dave

lightweightgp

i don' understand .  there is no requirment for bodywork now.   I see lots of hawks, SVs, EX500s, and an occasional MZ, Yamaha SRX, buell, etc.  without any bodywork besides an oil pan.   There is nothing to prevent anyone else from doing the same.  As long as you have an oil pan and number plates, i don't see where ccs cares about bodywork at all.  

the_weggie_man

If it's not a "mainstream class", whatever that is, or not a points paying class, what is it? Just a way to waste track time? Plenty of that going on now, especially the "scooter class" weekends.

Hey, maybe that's what this is. You don't really need to be a CCS racer, just show up on your naked bike and do laps for kicks. Or wait, isn't that what we'll see next week at Gingerman? LP track day? A very nice waste of racers track time.  ::)

the_weggie_man

Forgot this in my last post.  Where the he// is the NO box in this poll?

Super Dave

QuoteJust a way to waste track time? Plenty of that going on now, especially the "scooter class" weekends.

LP track day? A very nice waste of racers track time.  ::)

AAAAAH!  Calgon!

Super Dave

Super Dave

QuoteForgot this in my last post.  Where the he// is the NO box in this poll?

Hey, at least you can vote.  Somehow, it's turned off for me...

Must be some kind of conspiracy....LOL! 8) 8) 8) :-X
Super Dave

FullMoonRacing

I think we should have 2-3 dozen more classes and reduce races to a single lap!

TiffineyIngram

It's nice to see that some of us woke up on the wrong side of the bed yesterday.  Geez, I just asked a basic question:  who would be interested.  I never said we would actually race it, I never said we were for sure doing it at all.  LP Track Days are valuble--once upon a time, all racers were nubies who were jonesing for track time.  Giving these nubies the opportunity to get on a track is not a waste of time.

G 97

Quote LP Track Days are valuble--once upon a time, all racers were nubies who were jonesing for track time.  Giving these nubies the opportunity to get on a track is not a waste of time.

I agree.  But why not leave this responsibility with the many track day organizations.  IMO CCS should stick with what they do best which is conducting racing events.  Let  the secondary track day market take care of the rest.  Combining racers and track day folk is not an ideal mix especially at the expense of racers track time.  It's sort of............
G