Championship....

Started by Team_nuclear123, September 15, 2003, 08:40:25 PM

Team_nuclear123

Mike, I think you took it the wrong way....

There are a few people that just show up, run 10 or 14 races a weekend and lead or win championships... The real truth is in your %. There are people leading the overall for their region right now that have a ratio of under 500....

THATS what sucks. If you only race a few, and kick ass, go for it dude! You EARNED that right. If you just shwo up and spend money, well.....

Race to win......

Super Dave

QuoteMike, I think you took it the wrong way....

I agree.

Mike, you're doing what you can, and you're only entering a handful of races.  I don't think it is the same.

I won a regional championship in 1993.  Yes, I entered nine races a weekend.  But, when I did it, there was a different points structure.  I'd win three to six races a weekend.  All said and done, I skipped the last round of that series to do the final AMA race at Sears Point (I did the whole AMA series that year too).  Missing the final round, I still won the regional championship and eight class championships (Got second in the last one...a mistake in that one in the rain cost me that one.  One of the first guys I mentored won that championship, so, at least, I didn't feel that bad.  He just followed the program style that I layed out for him...
 ;D)

If you're entering four classes a weekend and you're in the top ten...seems pretty good from my side of the fence.  I usually enter five.  
Super Dave

sdiver68

Quotecan I borrow your bike ???  ::) ;D
Ike
 :)

If you promise not to crash it we could work something out, I assume you mean for Gateway Oct?

Back to the subject at hand, I would have finished 3-5th overall and had 4-5 class championships had I not had an unfortunate incident in the 7th weekend.  I ran 6 classes per weekend, and typically finished anywhere from 5th to 12th...unless the FUSA-type pros showed up.  However, 4 of my classes were expert money classes, and a 5th one of the 3 real money class for those chasing manufacturer contingency (MWSS).  So, would I have been any less deserving of a Top 5 plate than anyone else?

What about the LTWT guys who can also run 6 classes per weekend...but typically with less people per race and typically less competition?  the points are still the same for eash place!

How about awarding plates based on the perfomance index.  Des this not reward the "homer" who runs only 1 or 2 tracks and skips the ones where he is not a local?  Also, does this not penalize the 600cc guy who enters ULGP regularly, but then ahas to contend with long tracks like RA and MAM?
MCRA Race School Instructor

K3 Chris Onwiler

You'd better stay home Mike, because I'm gonna put a boot upside your butt!  Dude, I've been involved in racing for 40 years, and the ONE ABSOLUTE TRUTH that I've learned about racing is that Lady Luck has a sick sense of humor.  By leaving this opportunity on the table, you've virtually gauranteed that you will never achieve success again.  So many things can happen when you're TRYING to win a title that will prevent you from getting it.  How could you possibly leave one on the table when you've earned it?  This could be your only shot, so GO GET YOUR CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!  I remember going to the SCCA car racing runoffs with my Dad the first time.  We had a piece of dung car and just went for fun.  We got third!  In seven more trys, often with far and away the best car, we never even finished the race again.  I'm telling you Mike!  I've even seen racers ask other racers if they could stand down from a points chase and allow the other guy to win.  Personally, I'd rather die.  If it's my big-money sponsorship dollars pro team asking me to do it, OK maybe.  But we're just little guys spending our own time and money on an insane hobby.  TAKE WHAT'S YOURS!!!
Have I made my point Mike?
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

GSXR RACER MIKE

QuoteYou'd better stay home Mike, because I'm gonna put a boot upside your butt!

Have I made my point Mike?

K3, I appreciate the enthusiastic encouragement. :o, but I am afraid to say that they are already gone due to the last Gateway being a twin sprint event. I may still have a Top 10 overall points position, but I have no idea how the points stand after last weekend. Being that the only remaining race is at Gateway for the GP Region, and it's right before the ROC, I doubt I will go to that event either. This whole deal has really taken the wind out of the sails, if you know what I mean? I have barely been able to keep racing after loosing all my overtime at work as it is, now it just seems like a waste to go to the last regional event. I am still going to go to the ROC though, I am transporting all Benji's stuff down there for him to REPRESENT the Midwest and hopefully Michael Jordan is going to be able to go also, plus I need a vacation BAD!

I agree that opportunity may only knock once, but I am seriously going to give it a true effort next year and try again. :)
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

K3 Chris Onwiler

Quote    I agree that opportunity may only knock once, but I am seriously going to give it a true effort next year and try again. :)
Well, I hope it works out.
On a brighter note, you're gonna poop in your leathers the first time you roll those high banks!  Nothing you've done in your life will prepare you for the pure, irrational stupidity required to race at Daytona.  Horizontal, 5 stories in the air at 170mph.  Oooooh.  The memory of it is making me touch myself.  Dang, I wish I was going this year.  I HATE money.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

GSXR RACER MIKE

QuoteWell, I hope it works out.
On a brighter note, you're gonna poop in your leathers the first time you roll those high banks!  Nothing you've done in your life will prepare you for the pure, irrational stupidity required to race at Daytona.  Horizontal, 5 stories in the air at 170mph.  Oooooh.  The memory of it is making me touch myself.  Dang, I wish I was going this year.  I HATE money.

K3, I raced at the ROC in '98 & '99, your right it is definately something you don't experience at any other track. Now it's time to start preparing financially for a true effort next year so I won't be caught off guard like this year.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Chef

QuoteIf you promise not to crash it we could work something out, I assume you mean for Gateway Oct?

I wish i could make that promise !!!
I wish i couldve promised myself that once i finally put the tranny back together and painted my leathers (ala Alexa at Spider Leatherworks) to match my new spray paint job, but it doesnt always go that way, I wanna do gateway tho, and will probably have the ole trusty Honda ready by then...
thanks tho, bro.!!!

And Mike,
We are talking about the ones who INTENTIONALLY corner the market with their money, you cant scheme like that with, lessay... under 10 races...
and I'd say if you ran under 8, and noone showed up, hell, It's yours!
yougo...
40. Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but powerful beyond measure. We were all meant to shine, as children do. When our light shines, we liberate others.