Formula 40 Rules

Started by CCS, June 17, 2002, 08:08:38 AM

baltobuell

OK, I'm in unfamiliar water here so be gentel. I was believing the liter bikes made up ground on the straight that they lose in the corners with their being heavier than the 750's. If they are not, why would anybody want one.
 The Rupp won, I don't understand your point and I think you may have missed mine. A guy on a 125 is in front of you on the last lap, Obviously he rode harder than you could. Now, do you let him have the wood because he did a great job or do you out throttle him to the checker. You out throttle him to the checker. This is still a race. But it doesn't feel right.
     If you're on a liter bike or even a 750 you are going to expect to win just from the machine. Isn't that like joining a 40 year old midget basketball league. What would be the point. You would not get the feeling of  a winner steping on 40 year old midgets and it would no longer be fun for them. Throw in the added danger of running over them and hurting somebody and you would probably quit very soon.

stillslow

What motorycle dominates Formula 40? I have not raced in that class so I can only ask you, the guys who are always racing in that catagory. At Summit point I heard the interview with the 2nd place rider who's comment was "Yea but look at what he was riding." Turns out the 2nd place guy was either on an SV or a 600. The guy who won was riding a GSXR750. The point I am trying to make is on the track in the average riders hands the 750 is faster than the 1000. Out of the corner to at Summit I have been "outdrag-raced" to the finish by 750s. My bike will run about 180 top speed and a 750 is supposed to do about 171. Until both are running about 155 or so they are about equal. In the Amateur GTO races there are a lot of 1000s entered but most of the winners are still 750s. In the Expert ranks with front-runners aboard maybe it might make a difference but I wouldn't know.
     When I asked for a poll, the intent was to see if it is a safety thing like WERA who's comment is "We wouldn't let any amateur on the track with an open-classed bike". If it is not a safety thing and the bikes run about the same, the only reason the open-classed bikes would not be allowed would be the fear of the Guys who think the 1000s are more than they realy are.
     All of my comments are not intended in any way to insult anyone. Just thinking out-loud (so CCS can hear me).  

baltobuell

I do see your point in the 750's being faster. I don't know what wins the expert group, probably a 750, but usually a 600 wins in the amature group. I have challenged them to the last turn. So a big inline is twice the horsepower necessary to win. If anything, maybe the 750's and 1000's could start from a 3rd wave, but that might get a little hairy on the first long straight considering the 125's are just getting wound up. The class now is really too diverse, opening up a larger varience, I don't know, maybe booting the 750's would be smarter. When you think you are reeling in an expert, to find it is a lapper, the space vanishes instantly. Maybe now would be a good time for a 750 rider to pipe up and tell me more about going that fast. It could just be my slow reflexes.

stillslow

I said earlier that I would be trading down to run the Formula 40 class (being 56 yrs old). I will probably be buying an SV650 because I want to ride other classes also. POINT; If I am trading down and want to be competitive (might even win one, stranger things have happened) then I need to be trading down to a GSXR 750. If they run about the same, what is the point in trading? JUST to loose money in the trade. There is something seriouly wrong with that picture. I would hate to make that trade and then they change the rules.
     One thing I would NOT want to do is have a rule change that would chase away riders from the class. There are not enough of us old farts who want to risk injury to participate in this sport now. If you are a participant of the Formula 40 Class Please take the time to vote.

baltobuell

Hey Stillslow, I just got back from Summit and if you're planning on winning F40, GSXR750 will do it. This was the worst place i've finished all year, 7th, and nothing but 600's and a 750 in front. Oh, and a Duc, so forget I said anything about a SV. The pace is deffinitly picking up.

roadracer797

Ok everyone I just got back from Gateway and we were all riding 600's and the racing was intense to say the least. You could have thrown a blanket over all of us so it goes to say that this class should be limited to middleweight class bikes only in my opinion. I had a lot of fun for the first time racing in this class because somebody on a big bike didn't run away from everybody. The only small bike in the race was a 125 and he was an expert who knew how to ride but on the straights I damn near run him over each time because of closeing speed alone. I know everybody has a different opinion on this subject and I don't want to make anybody mad but this is what I believeshould be done. Remember to always keep the rubber down and race safe, we are to old to get hurt.

stillslow

I agree 100%. Safer for over forty guys.  That's why the class was formed.  BUT if you let some bigger faster more dominant bikes compete, let all bigger faster bikes compete. This falls right in line with Baltobuell, LW & HW  Formula 40.  ;) ;) ;) ;)

billryr8828

I have to agree with allowing people that fall into an age bracket run what they choose if the class is actually based on the criteria of guys age 40 and over.  Like what has been stated in prior responses actually the gixxer 750 poses more of a win threat to the smaller bikes than any of the liter bikes out there. I do understand the closing speed concerns but again with this being an over age 40 class then it should be less of a problem here than just about anywhere else. I think that most guys in this class understand that on Monday they have to go back to work and they are not going to "be discovered for that factory ride" so the maturity factor should help alleviate problems. Yes I do ride a liter bike and I would love to be able to ride in this class as I feel this would be a safer enviroment to have my fun racing. I do not think it is any great secret that a smaller bike is easier to go fast on but the liter bikes are just so much fun to ride!  Try hammering the throttle wide open exiting the apex of a corner on a liter bike like you do on a 600 and the results may not be pretty. I think you would be suprised at how many of the "little" bikes would be in front of the bigger bikes! At least give it try, I know this is one OLD FART that would love to ride in a class that did not contain "ego" factor that results in crashfest from taking STUPID chances.

stillslow

Thank God there is at least one person that understands ; :) :) :) :) :)

W_Petersen

I too have a liter bike and would like to be able to race with the other old guys instead of with all the young guys in the other unlimited classes.  I would favor a Heayweight and a Lightweight F40 class like they run at WSMC to separate the 600s, SVs, and smaller bikes from the 750s and open class bikes.

Gixxer124

750's are big enough! I can't imagine racing against an open bike at Road America on my 600. Now Gingerman, thats another story!  ;D

billryr8828

You already race against gixxer 750's and it is a pretty well proven fact that they turn better lap times on almost all if not all the tracks than any of the liter bikes. Actually there are very few tracks that the straights are long enough to even give the liter bikes an advantage over the gixxer 750 even there!
Give the old guys with the big bikes a break and let us join in on the fun too!