Mid-Atlantic racer busted in raid

Started by EmerWil, June 09, 2003, 07:29:37 AM

wera331

QuoteLike clutch said, if he's found guilty, No racing org should allow him any license. He'll be out on probation since he didn't physicaly hurt anybody, but I don't want him ruining my weekend piting near me. I need to trust the people I race with.
I'm with you I've got enough to worry about besides something stupid like that.my brothers mc was stolen after a fusa race last year at summit I wonder if he raced there.

clemmr211

Hey Fellas,
If any of you had any work done by him that involved the replacement of parts...ie my motor, I'd call the police and see if they were stolen.  I did, and now I get to drop my motor and deliver it to the Howard County police station because it was from a stolen bike.  And do you think I'll get my money back?..nope.. looks like my season has come to an abrupt end.  So be weary of where your parts come from...  here I am buying a ,what I thought was a used motor from an established business, and now I get to take it out tonight and drive it up to the Police station tomorrow morning...  Hummm...  lets see, I'm walking into the Station with Stolen property...  what do you think is going to happen?...   :(

Ryan

Dawn

Ryan:

That just sucks!!!!  You may want to contact an attorney, but I think your only recourse would be is to file a civil suit against the business to recoup your losses.  Hopefully you still have your receipts.

Dawn   :(

hdpromos

You might want to see if this guy was at Summit that weekend. He's from MD. Call the cops that arrested him and check the inventory. This guy raced with us several years ago in Fl. and I honestly am very surprised. I'll also tell you that I was contacted by state task force officers in 99. On their list was a CCS licensed rider from the NE. He never raced the Fl. series but had run Daytona. He had a rap sheet that included burglary, grand theft auto x2, Grand theft x2, dealing in stolen property x3, conspiracy and rico. So when I went to Daytona I thought I would look this guy up. I found him and introduced myself. I asked if he would mind if I checked his vin #s. Thats when he got very nervous. When I looked, they seemed altered to me. I then got a very qualified Suzuki mech. to look at it. He confirmed it was altered. I then contacted speedway security, who informed me they could do nothing but would contact the Daytona Beach police. I waited over 2 hours trying to keep an eye on this thief and watch the races. During that time he fled. Missed all his races and never came back. I notified CCS and the NE officials of this rider. Guess what? This guy is still racing in the NE and is CCS licensed. There are a lot of legal questions involved here for sure as to what can be done. Just like life, you never know about those around you. There are those who think I am paranoid about theft. Maybe I am, having been a victim myself. I just try to make our series as secure as possible. Beware!

HD

clemmr211

QuoteRyan:

That just sucks!!!!  You may want to contact an attorney, but I think your only recourse would be is to file a civil suit against the business to recoup your losses.  Hopefully you still have your receipts.

Dawn   :(
Ya...  it does suck..
I'm 99% sure I still have my reciepts, but I do have credit card (Big thanks to Mastercard, my sponsor) statements and a cashed check from my credit union. I'm pretty sure they're going to hold me for questioning (which I'm more than happy to do), and I guess there is a chance they could arrest me (I mean, I'm walking into a Police Station with $800 worth of stolen motor) Man, I never new buying something from an established business doesn't protect you from their crimes...
Oh.. and to answer your question, I'll be driving right from the police station to the courthouse to pick up my small clains papers...  

hdpromos

Correction! The thief with the NE CCS license is not listed this year. Not yet anyway. He was last year.

HD

EmerWil

Jeez Ryan...

Sorry about the race season...

I am glad I posted it to the board...Maybe all these people he screwed will start coming forward...

r6_philly

Ryan, sorry to hear about your loss, that really really sux. Did you can the Master Card company? If it is not too long ago, they may be able to give you most of the money as a refund, and do a charge back or take legal action themselves. I don't think a small claims court would do much, he is going to go to jail, his possessions are going to be seized (since they are most likely stolen) and he would proabaly just go bankrupt anyway, I don't think you will ever collect from the system.

r6_philly

and I guess so much for the benefit of the doubt, this proves the guy is a thief  :-/ and I was just hoping it was just a customer bike which was stolen... oh well, hope he get what he deserves, for screwing the people who he stole bike from, and screwing the people who bought things from him.

clemmr211

Ya Guys, it sucks.  I waited one more day just to get as much legal info as possible and it seems the best thing to do is drop it out, take it too them, give them my story (with all my paper work) and if they let me go, who knows maybe they'll send me home with the motor (riiiiiiiiiiiight).  If everything goes as planned and they send me on my way without the motor, then I'll talk to a lawyer because I've been told by several people (including a lawyer) that as long as I bought it from an actuall business and paid fair market value for it, I don't have to give it back (which I found hard to believe).  But since this is now a HUGE federal case, I'm not going to go flexing my miniscule legal muscle (well, not until they tell me I'm free to go anyway ;) )
And yes Dafan, If they keep my motor, I'll be right on the phone with Mastercard and hopefully I can recoup some of the money.  
Well tomorrows the big day, wish me luck because I look horrible in orange  ;)
Ryan

Oh ya, does anyone have a NOT STOLEN 2000 ZX6R motor they want to sell???

r6_philly

I know most states have laws regarding stolen properties that says if the policy can locate the previous owner you must return the property, even if you bought it fair and square from a business. You won't be in legal trouble if they can't prove that you knew the motor was stolen, but they will take it, unless the #'s on the engine is not recognizable, which probably isn't if he is smart at all  ::) So if you can prove to the police that your motor wasn't stolen, or they can't trace the owner, then you might be able to keep it.

Baltobuell

Clemmr, If it were me, I'd drop it out (to make sure they don't sieze the whole bike) but I don't think I'd give it to anybody. The cops want your story, the ins co the engine now belongs to wants money. Eventually, in a property room it will end up in a dumpster or maybe at a auction. You didn't do anything wrong don't be too quick to give it up. Tell the cops, if they want it, it's right here, but I sure wouldn't deliver it. They don't need the motor to make their case, just the info. Then ask them who to contact to buy it again. The ins co. will probably give you a deal so they don't have to screw with picking it up. Who knows $20 might get the real paper for it. Everyone involved knows it'll be junk after the trial.