News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Mid-Atlantic racer busted in raid

Started by EmerWil, June 09, 2003, 07:29:37 AM

EmerWil

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet. I haven't seen it come across.

Nothing worse than stealing from your own family...pathetic...

http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/2251665/detail.html

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

EmerWil

If anyone has had a bike stolen from the Mid Atlantic area I would suggest that you contact the Howard County Police.  I am sure they would love to take your information and maybe locate your bike..or parts of it...

sdiver68

Let's make sure he is guilty first.

If he is,

then hang him high by the thingy!

MCRA Race School Instructor

TreyBone

EmerWil

According to the article when the police went to his house with an arrest warrant he was putting a stolen bike in the back of his truck...

:o :o

Eric Kelcher

Yeah but are they a repair shop? could it have been a customer's bike? Why it would be at his house I don't know but I will give the benfit of the doubt until I hear he was caught stealing one, convicted or admits to it.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

r6_philly

QuoteYeah but are they a repair shop? could it have been a customer's bike? Why it would be at his house I don't know but I will give the benfit of the doubt until I hear he was caught stealing one, convicted or admits to it.

I was giving the benefit of the doubt until I read about the "tampered VIN" lying around. I admit what it "sounds" like what he is doing is a REAL good business, except the fact that it is Illegal  :-/

Eric Kelcher

Just a for instance I have I guess what would be called a tampered VIN the steering stem broke off  and we welded it back on partially destroying the last half of the VIN number. I wonder how the VIN numbers were tampered with on those bikes ground off, welding slag, crash damage?  

By no means should anyone think I am defending a thief as I have had two bikes stolen but I have also seen the overzealous police come out and raid a race; they thought GP bikes didn't have legit numbers or replacement frames with no VIN numbers threw them for a loop and also seen bikes in shops for repair that were stolen (should a bike shop have to run a VIN check before they accept a bike for repair?)
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

r6_philly

QuoteJust a for instance I have I guess what would be called a tampered VIN the steering stem broke off  and we welded it back on partially destroying the last half of the VIN number. I wonder how the VIN numbers were tampered with on those bikes ground off, welding slag, crash damage?  

By no means should anyone think I am defending a thief as I have had two bikes stolen but I have also seen the overzealous police come out and raid a race; they thought GP bikes didn't have legit numbers or replacement frames with no VIN numbers threw them for a loop and also seen bikes in shops for repair that were stolen (should a bike shop have to run a VIN check before they accept a bike for repair?)

although the report did say the VIN's came back stolen. I know exactly any race shop can look like chop shop and can't really account for the origins of each part. Maybe his customer dropped off stolen bike to have worked on. Hopefully that is the case, but either way, that proves some race with stolen bike/frame/parts. I might buy a stolen part without knowing it, but a frame is something you should look into before buying.

Funny I was in my shop switching frame and motor for Daytona last year, and was working at 3am and a police car came do a area check and thought someone broke into my business. He made me produce the titles to the bike, and seemed real skeptical about all the parts I have lying around (2 bikes total apart)... I guess I could have gone for "auto theft" if I didnt have papers

hdpromos

And here I thought we had all the bike thieves down here in Florida! Then again maybe we do! He used to live in Melbourne! I'm sorry but guilty as charged!

HD

TreyBone

You don't have to look up every VIN that comes in the door. But when you order parts by going what model info the VIN number is, you will know.  That happened at our local shop here. I guy brought in a Ninja 900 for service, and when the VIN number was punched in for the year model (to order parts)it came up as an EX500 :(

hdpromos

You can also bet any good mechanic that is familiar with a particular manufacturer can tell just by looking at a vin. #

HD