News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

SV 650 class question

Started by Sumguitardude, February 19, 2015, 10:17:30 AM

Sumguitardude

Hey guys, I am going to be racing my stock motored SV650 this season for the first time.

I will be attending all of the CCS Midwest events.

I want to race in 4 events per day and my question is, which 4 classes would a stock motored SV be most competitive in?

I was thinking LWSS, ULSB, GTL but am having trouble deciding on the fourth.

Are most guys running LWGP, LWSB?

I just don't want to go up against SV's with 90+ HP if I can avoid it!

If anyone has any tips for a first time SV racer in the Midwest, feel free to post them.

Thanks!

trace33chargers

If you are fast, you will be competitive in all lightweight classes (in AM). You are good with LWSS and ULSB. The other classes are a crapshoot. Superbikes are legal in the other lightweight classes, and GP and GTL are basically unlimited except displacements (this is the class with 565s and Ducati hybrids, but you really shouldn't worry about it).

Just expect to do ok in 2 classes, and have fun in the 2 other classes (I'd strongly suggest GTL). Since this is your first year, just focus on getting tracktime and being consistent.

LWT Racer

MOST SV's will not be over 85hp. Most SVers don't want to dump $8-10k on a motor so you'll find most are around 75-low 80's in hp.
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

Sumguitardude

Thanks for the info guys, looks like I will be racing in LWSS, LWSB, ULSB, and GTL.

I definitely don't want to go up against a GSXR565!

Jwhite316

I won 4 championships with a gen1 stock motor in 2013.  There was a pretty big amatuer field last year so alot of them will be moving up.  You might find one guy with alot of money and a fast bike but its doubtful.  I reccomend running as many classes as you can, or feel comfortable with and then choose the ones that have the biggest field.  One thing I always hated as an amatuer was in LWSS when there was only 2 or 3 other guys to race against. Championships are fine, but the real reward is in the actual racing!
Well how could there be two number 1's? It'd be number 11 then?

apriliaman

Lots of SV's in my area Mid Atlantic and Atlantic region.Supersport spec also.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

Woofentino Pugrossi

Wouldnt worry about other sv's starting out racing. Just go out to learn the trade. As said before, the high $$$$ stuff doesnt usually show up at bhf. There was a 565 at road america, but was dq'd after being protested from what I heard. Even then those bikes are usually wearing white plates.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

cooker1

Like Jwhite 316 said race as many classes as you can then run the ones you feel best in ! It is about the racing and getting the experience after that you get the championships took me 3 years to win 1 !I run a stock SV and raced against him in 2013 but was almost always 2nd place ! I just kept at it and it finally paid off ! The main thing is to learn and have fun ask ?s of other racers most give advice freely and want to help riders become better !
2012 MCRA Am GTL runner-up
2013 CCS MW Am GTL runner-up
2014 CCS Am Thunderbike Champion , GTL runner-up , SS 3rd place
Midwest Track Day Coach

Sumguitardude

Thanks for the replies guys.

I see Autobahn is tentative on the schedule, if that becomes an event, will they have a race school the day before the races?
As I don't have a license and I don't want to miss out on any events this year.

I can try and attend the MCRA event at Putnam Park April 18th to get my license but I'd rather just get it done in one weekend if possible.

trace33chargers

I don't see Autobahn happening, and if it does, I think it would be unlikely you'd get a race school that day.

Doxgon22

Currently unknown.  As soon as the schedule is finalized, the race director and Learning Curves School will determine the school schedule when the race weekend schedule is finalized.  It will be posted as soon as possible, I promise.  I should know, I'm an instructor for Learning Curves......

backMARKr

Quote from: Doxgon22 on February 24, 2015, 01:35:41 PM
Currently unknown.  As soon as the schedule is finalized, the race director and Learning Curves School will determine the school schedule when the race weekend schedule is finalized.  It will be posted as soon as possible, I promise.  I should know, I'm an instructor for Learning Curves......

But! He is a chiropractor, and you cannot trust those voodoo artists!

Hi Doc!  :biggrin:
NFC Racin',Woodcraft, Pitbull,M4, SUDCO,Bridgestone
WERA #13