SV 650 class question

Started by Sumguitardude, February 19, 2015, 10:17:30 AM

cooker1

I would try for the MCRA class they have excellent instructors and will give you a head start on the racing season instead of trying to pack it all into one weekend with CCS !
2012 MCRA Am GTL runner-up
2013 CCS MW Am GTL runner-up
2014 CCS Am Thunderbike Champion , GTL runner-up , SS 3rd place
Midwest Track Day Coach

Sumguitardude

Where are you Midwest SV guys getting your tires from?
I'd like to do a few track days before the first race weekend to get everything on the bike sorted out, and getting race tires trackside has been impossible riding with Sportbike Track Time, as they only sell Michelin.

I was hoping to get a set of Pirelli Super Corsa DOT's and a set of Pirelli Rains.

Or are there any other Manufacturers that make a good 160 DOT and rain tire?

I used to ride on the Bridgestone 165 Slick but I'll need a DOT to run SS.

trace33chargers

Unless Kevin has a change of heart, supersport SVs can only pick from Dunlop and Pirelli (I think only those 2) for DOT Race tires. Otherwise you have to use street/trackday tires which is still getting harder for a 160.

Jason Farrell is a Pirelli vendor. Not sure who to get Dunlops from.

Jwhite316

Quote from: trace33chargers on February 25, 2015, 02:18:07 PM
Unless Kevin has a change of heart, supersport SVs can only pick from Dunlop and Pirelli (I think only those 2) for DOT Race tires. Otherwise you have to use street/trackday tires which is still getting harder for a 160.

I believe MotoRider is vendor for Dunlop and Michelin. 160s are getting harder and harder to come by. Most of the expert sv's have converted to a 180 setup, Only real downside being you can't run super sport. Best advice is to contact vendor a couple weeks in advance and reserve your rubber and see what they have.
Well how could there be two number 1's? It'd be number 11 then?

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote from: trace33chargers on February 25, 2015, 02:18:07 PM

Actually its the tire mfgs that are why we have a slim selection of 160's, not Kevin. Theres a Bridgestone guy there also, Turn One Racing I think, but you'd have to get a hold of him to make sure they have 160's for you.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

cooker1

You need tires in the MW ? Good Grip Racing ( Pirelli & Michelin )can take care of you ! The owner also runs Midwest Trackdays which you should check out to get in on some awesome track time and excellent coaching ! We have (IMHO) the best coaching staff in the Midwest !
Midwest Track Day Coach

trace33chargers

Quote from: Woofentino Pugrossi on February 25, 2015, 09:32:57 PM
Actually its the tire mfgs that are why we have a slim selection of 160's, not Kevin. Theres a Bridgestone guy there also, Turn One Racing I think, but you'd have to get a hold of him to make sure they have 160's for you.
I meant Kevin is not letting the LW SS class run slicks or GSXR or F3 wheels (for the SV guys) so we can run any tire. Manufacturers are part of the problem, CCS just isn't finding a way to adapt to the problem.

Sumguitardude

Quote from: cooker1 on February 26, 2015, 12:01:25 AM
You need tires in the MW ? Good Grip Racing ( Pirelli & Michelin )can take care of you ! The owner also runs Midwest Trackdays which you should check out to get in on some awesome track time and excellent coaching ! We have (IMHO) the best coaching staff in the Midwest !

Is that Jeff Wheat? I am friends with him on Facebook and have ridden with Midwest Trackday a few times.
I didn't know he ran Good Grip Racing too!

Sean_Jordan

Hi all!

I had some class questions as well, so I'll stick to this thread.

I have a Supersport prepped 1st gen SV650, but I do have two rear rims so I can do 160 or 180 rubber.

If I were to run 3 classes as a novice in the Mid-Atlantic region, with one of them being GTL, which other two classes should I run? I know LWSS leaves me with the stock rim and DOT tires running slicks would be nice as I understand you get more time out of them. (When I raced in the past, I never used slicks and I've always wanted to try them. I'd prefer not to buy two rear tires though!) I was leaning towards LWSB and ULSB... is that unwise? Should I definitely focus on including LWSS? Perhaps someone could weigh in on what kind of bikes are showing up for the LW classes in the Mid-Atlantic region. Thanks!

cooker1

Midwest Track Day Coach