Daytona

Started by racenrub, September 04, 2010, 12:37:40 AM

racenrub

Are we racing it next year? i haven't been paying attention and wana make plans.
There's always worse things then dying

GSXR RACER MIKE

The only reason the Race of Champions is not happening at Daytona for 2010 is due to the re-pave and improvements currently happening. Construction is scheduled to be completed by January 1, 2011, all the automotive Speedweek events in February are scheduled as normal. It will be up to CCS if they hold the spring and fall events - but after the financially disasterous 2010 season (across the Nation) I hope CCS will still be able to afford to hold the events in 2011 at Daytona.

If you want to read about and see up to date photo's of all the construction work in progress at Daytona here's a link:

http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

racenrub

I was wondering about the financial side of the coin to. Well lets hope so.
There's always worse things then dying

MELK-MAN

please, pretty please.. lets race at Daytona in 2011.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

GSXR RACER MIKE

On the Daytona website there's a separate article about the re-pave, currently there's a picture gallery on the right side of that article and down below that there's some video's of various work being done. It's interesting to watch the video's of how they keep the construction equipment on the banking without sliding down, even more so is the collection of support equipment required for the actual paving machine to do the paving of the high banks.

I wonder what type of race surface their using for the re-pave? I heard the old surface actually had crushed sea shells mixed in with it to provide extra traction (at the cost of tire life).

Greg - with how smooth and fast Road America was after the couple times they re-paved it I understand your eagerness to get on Daytona again!
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

MELK-MAN

Daytona was already pretty hard on the left-center of the tires.. will be interesting to see how things work with new paving after 6 laps or so even on a 600. Hope it doesn't eat em up. Daytona is just "cool", so either way, we will have to adapt..

Super Dave

Quote from: MELK-MAN on September 05, 2010, 06:40:18 PM
Daytona was already pretty hard on the left-center of the tires.. will be interesting to see how things work with new paving after 6 laps or so even on a 600. Hope it doesn't eat em up. Daytona is just "cool", so either way, we will have to adapt..
Well, then the question is how fast it it gonna send you toward stuff...  Sometimes, a little slip is enough to slow you down just a little to keep things good with a little cushion, you know?
Super Dave

MELK-MAN

not sure i follow Dave, talking about more grip (ie: more speed) equals heading faster toward pain in a crash??

vnvbandit

All the sparkling you see in the road at night in your head light beams is sea shells. Use what you got! Over in Hawaii, they use coral in the asphalt. Now THAT is hard on tires!
~Brian
CCS FL 68
ASRA 68
Thanks
Nancy&Patrick

roadracer162

I wonder what they use in Jamaica?
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Super Dave

Quote from: MELK-MAN on September 06, 2010, 11:55:30 AM
not sure i follow Dave, talking about more grip (ie: more speed) equals heading faster toward pain in a crash??
Yeah...

But, that implies that the new pavement will have more grip.  My understanding is that they have the mixes sorted out pretty well to work a certain way for cars, at least.  How that applies to us on bikes, I'm not sure. 

I do know that the the banking was always pretty abrasive from a long slide across and down it once.  I was surprised.
Super Dave

Lunatik

Quote from: GSXR RACER MIKE on September 04, 2010, 12:12:19 PM
The only reason the Race of Champions is not happening at Daytona for 2010 is due to the re-pave and improvements currently happening. Construction is scheduled to be completed by January 1, 2011, all the automotive Speedweek events in February are scheduled as normal. It will be up to CCS if they hold the spring and fall events - but after the financially disasterous 2010 season (across the Nation) I hope CCS will still be able to afford to hold the events in 2011 at Daytona.

If you want to read about and see up to date photo's of all the construction work in progress at Daytona here's a link:

http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/

"I hope CCS will be able to afford"????
Please explain.