Daytona

Started by racenrub, September 04, 2010, 12:37:40 AM

racenrub

Are we racing it next year? i haven't been paying attention and wana make plans.
There's always worse things then dying

GSXR RACER MIKE

The only reason the Race of Champions is not happening at Daytona for 2010 is due to the re-pave and improvements currently happening. Construction is scheduled to be completed by January 1, 2011, all the automotive Speedweek events in February are scheduled as normal. It will be up to CCS if they hold the spring and fall events - but after the financially disasterous 2010 season (across the Nation) I hope CCS will still be able to afford to hold the events in 2011 at Daytona.

If you want to read about and see up to date photo's of all the construction work in progress at Daytona here's a link:

http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

racenrub

I was wondering about the financial side of the coin to. Well lets hope so.
There's always worse things then dying

MELK-MAN

please, pretty please.. lets race at Daytona in 2011.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

GSXR RACER MIKE

On the Daytona website there's a separate article about the re-pave, currently there's a picture gallery on the right side of that article and down below that there's some video's of various work being done. It's interesting to watch the video's of how they keep the construction equipment on the banking without sliding down, even more so is the collection of support equipment required for the actual paving machine to do the paving of the high banks.

I wonder what type of race surface their using for the re-pave? I heard the old surface actually had crushed sea shells mixed in with it to provide extra traction (at the cost of tire life).

Greg - with how smooth and fast Road America was after the couple times they re-paved it I understand your eagerness to get on Daytona again!

MELK-MAN

Daytona was already pretty hard on the left-center of the tires.. will be interesting to see how things work with new paving after 6 laps or so even on a 600. Hope it doesn't eat em up. Daytona is just "cool", so either way, we will have to adapt..

Super Dave

Quote from: MELK-MAN on September 05, 2010, 06:40:18 PM
Daytona was already pretty hard on the left-center of the tires.. will be interesting to see how things work with new paving after 6 laps or so even on a 600. Hope it doesn't eat em up. Daytona is just "cool", so either way, we will have to adapt..
Well, then the question is how fast it it gonna send you toward stuff...  Sometimes, a little slip is enough to slow you down just a little to keep things good with a little cushion, you know?
Super Dave

MELK-MAN

not sure i follow Dave, talking about more grip (ie: more speed) equals heading faster toward pain in a crash??

vnvbandit

All the sparkling you see in the road at night in your head light beams is sea shells. Use what you got! Over in Hawaii, they use coral in the asphalt. Now THAT is hard on tires!
~Brian
CCS FL 68
ASRA 68
Thanks
Nancy&Patrick

roadracer162

I wonder what they use in Jamaica?
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Super Dave

Quote from: MELK-MAN on September 06, 2010, 11:55:30 AM
not sure i follow Dave, talking about more grip (ie: more speed) equals heading faster toward pain in a crash??
Yeah...

But, that implies that the new pavement will have more grip.  My understanding is that they have the mixes sorted out pretty well to work a certain way for cars, at least.  How that applies to us on bikes, I'm not sure. 

I do know that the the banking was always pretty abrasive from a long slide across and down it once.  I was surprised.
Super Dave

Lunatik

Quote from: GSXR RACER MIKE on September 04, 2010, 12:12:19 PM
The only reason the Race of Champions is not happening at Daytona for 2010 is due to the re-pave and improvements currently happening. Construction is scheduled to be completed by January 1, 2011, all the automotive Speedweek events in February are scheduled as normal. It will be up to CCS if they hold the spring and fall events - but after the financially disasterous 2010 season (across the Nation) I hope CCS will still be able to afford to hold the events in 2011 at Daytona.

If you want to read about and see up to date photo's of all the construction work in progress at Daytona here's a link:

http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/

"I hope CCS will be able to afford"????
Please explain.

Super Dave

Quote from: Lunatik on September 09, 2010, 08:16:10 PM
Please explain.
Daytona is an expensive rental.  Additionally, from what I knew before, it has additional insurance costs that are unique to the Speedway...but they might be unique to that corporation for their tracks.  That I don't know.

Over time, the CCS Daytona experience has changed.  At one time, we were racing Thursday through Sunday with a practice day opportunity on Wednesday.  It's been whittled down over the years. 
Super Dave

Ducmarc

GSXR RACER MIKE

Quote from: Lunatik on September 09, 2010, 08:16:10 PM
Please explain.

Additionally to what Dave said, in tough times investment vs. return will have a greater influence in what events are scheduled and which are skipped. The lower the turnout of racers for any event (or even turnout for entire regions), the closer to the chopping block they will get. A couple different times there was a Great Lakes Region in CCS, but it was eliminated each time because of low entries for that region for an entire season. In the past some events were held (throughout different regions) that didn't bring in the entries needed to make it a worth while investment, but due to popularity of those venues (by those who did show up) the events were held anyways because the remainder of the schedule for that region averaged out the low entries for that event. But when things are tight ALL events are going to be under the microscope and more focus will be put on holding events that don't financially drag down the entire racing organization. If you've never seen when Kevin has shown examples of the operating & track rental costs for some of the bigger events CCS holds (like Daytona & Road America) you would probably be suprised at just how much it costs to hold those events (and how many race entries are needed at those events just to break even financially).

tug296

Henry Madsen CCS Expert #396 
2004 Am. Super Twins Champion
Florida Region,  
Moto ST #96, Corvette #6, Patriot Guard Rider

tug296

Does it appear that CCS will not be racing at Daytona in March?
I hope this is not the case!
Henry Madsen CCS Expert #396 
2004 Am. Super Twins Champion
Florida Region,  
Moto ST #96, Corvette #6, Patriot Guard Rider

Super Dave

Quote from: tug296 on September 23, 2010, 01:41:56 PM
Does it appear that CCS will not be racing at Daytona in March?
I hope this is not the case!
Seems to be the case as per the Daytona press release. 

Happy to say that I went to several Spring events, longer events than they were just recently.  Similarly for Fall. 

Noticed that CCS and AHRMA will both be in the Fall.  Will that be a combined event to save on expenses?
Super Dave

limy_1

I have seen the AHRMA press release and it should be of benefit to both organizations.
It will probably hit RRW in the morning
Roger Preston
AHRMA Volunteer & Monkee
WERA Official

MACOP1104

Well opening race is now Roebling.  I have to say that will keep a lot of cash in my wallet.  Now that I think about it, Daytona once a year is plenty...

Ducmarc

All these years of loyalty you would think the track (all of them) would cut us a break

to keep us going. I cut breaks to customers all the time especially in hard times. If they go out then eventually. I will be out

GSXR RACER MIKE

I would imagine this certainly doesn't mean there will NEVER be another CCS spring Daytona event (or Great Lakes Region, or Barber event, etc), if race entries rebound enough to warrent adding this event (or others) back to CCS's schedule then I think it could be a possibility again in the future (if it wouldn't be a financial loss to CCS).

Plain and simple business:

SUPPLY (race events hosted by CCS)
& DEMAND (actual racers showing up to race)

INVESTMENT (CCS's cost to put on a race event)
vs RETURN (profit or loss based on number of race entries).

Rick Beggs

is there a 2011 schedule posted somewhere?
How do you know Robeling is the first one?
RICK BEGGS
RnRCycles VPLubricants TuckerPowerSports FullSpectrumPower MotoLiberty RSTaichi AraiHelmet EBCBrakes EvansCoolant EVS DIDChains MaacoSterling ArmourBodies LextekMotorcycle WoolichRacing Woodcraft JTSprockets ZeroGravityRacing PitBull Lapking ChickenHawk PodiumMotorsportsPirelli

TrophyGal

"With the new Bike Week schedule, it was agreed that the best alternative was to move the sportsman motorcycle series to another venue and CCS has chosen Roebling Road Raceway to host the opening round of the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic Championship Series for 2011"

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=42067

smoke54

no opening date for CCS Roebling in that release.  got a date?
thx,
tim

TrophyGal

Quote from: smoke54 on September 28, 2010, 12:48:42 PM
no opening date for CCS Roebling in that release.  got a date?
thx,
tim

Nothing definite - possibly March 12th weekend

smoke54

Rick Johnson 29

I was looking forward to Daytona in Spring but I went to Roebling for the first time this year and really like it. Also did Daytona for the first time this year and what a experience. Hopefully it will be smoother with the repave.
Rick Johnson
Expert 29, ASRA 291, Wera 29
2011 SE Unlimited SS Champ                                                               
2011 2nd MA GTO,UnlimitedSB,SS,GP                                                   08 Suzuki GSXR 1000