News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Blue flags

Started by r6_philly, April 15, 2003, 12:40:54 PM

Speed_Shifter

We have a meeting on Saturday after practice, before the races start, and also on Sunday before the races.  This is the first time that I can remember that the meeting was held while people were on the track.  I don't know why it was done like that.

D_EBBEN#93

I think that BLUE flages are a good tool to prevent a slower rider from maybe getting hurt ,if he or she is the first person to get be put alap down.what i mean by getting hurt is by to help the "slower rider" to be alert that something is about to happen.(previded the WORKER and the RIDER understand how to use it and how to respond to it.  ;)

Nate R

During my first weekend at BHF, I got the blue flag a few times. Not a lot, but I did see it several times. I was glad to get it, because I knew what was coming. I had heard SO much about holding your line that I didn't even have to think about not moving. I saw the flag, and thought, "OK, Ed's gonna come around me soon." Or, that I was gonna be lapped by someone else, etc. Didn't bother me at all. I saw it, comprehended it, and kept going the way I was. Didn't have anyone come to me later complaining, so I think I did an OK job holding my lines. In fact, I had a fast Am come by and apologize for passing me the way he did during a race, because he didn't realize I was a newbie. I know he passed me, but it wasn't a pass that shook me up at all. Funny. There WAS one pass that was made unnecessarily close to me all weekend, and that was by a certain Expert on Friday. So, overall, I was happy to get the comfort cushion most fast guys gave me, and I was glad to get the blue flag, but didn't change a thing when I got it.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

Chef

ok, i'll chime in, (ding)

please forgive me, because while i see that the blue flag helps...

i am also very against the blue flag, and i do vote to throw it out....

yes, im a second year racer, very new, and not trying to influence anyones thought, just voicing mine.

ive been lapped and ive lapped.     as a logical thinker (me)  ::)

You all say " when i show you this flag, dont do anything different"
Q:  why show it, then ?

You say, "the faster rider is better, and should/will get around, AND is responsible for passing safely"

"if the leader gets held up by a laper and loses 1st place, thats just racing"

and everyone knows that riders in the back are trying to focus, or SHOULD be trying to focus on their line, and hitting each turn better and better, AND i am extremely surprised, actually, that the "spook", or panic from the blue flag has not caused more sittuatins than it has...

so, in all, i see the good in it, but i think it's not worth it,  JUST OPINION !!!

forty
40. Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but powerful beyond measure. We were all meant to shine, as children do. When our light shines, we liberate others.

D_EBBEN#93

THIS GUY KNOWS WHAT I"M TALKING ABOUT! nice work!!  ;)

D_EBBEN#93

that last one went to Nate R.

D_EBBEN#93

so if some faster bikes fly into a turn under you with no warring that will not bother you or catch you off gaurd at all? :o

MightyDuc Racing

Ike

The blue flag keeps them from getting spooked when a rider comes by at 30+ mph faster and then they jump and stand it up and hit the next fast guy through.  It is supposed to be a warning that another bike is gonna come by really soon, and a lot faster than you.  If you are getting lapped in a sprint race, they have to be going a lot faster than you, agreed?  I got spooked into turn 1 at Homestead in practice my first day by two experts that thought they were funny and split me at mach 6.  Although it didn't cause any incidents, I'm sure I was startled and the possibility was there for a mistake.  If there had been a blue flag in a race situation, I would not have been surprised like that.  By the way, they did it on purpose because of the orange shirt...kind of a welcome to racing deal.  And yes, I remember who they were...lol.  Paybacks baby!

Just my .02 again.
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

D_EBBEN#93

a good way to help you have track time with out the stress of all the flags and only 8 or 6 laps to try to learn new lines around the track or may take time to play with around with new set-ups on your bike,is to do all the track days and or schools like (VRS) on thursdays or firdays as you can.I know that it helps take my mind off all the small things that you shouldn't stress about on race day.  ;D

Chef

All true,

guys,  im not really arguing the helpfulness of the blue, i just happen to think that if you school someone on it, DONT say "keep doin what you're doin"

say, "give room on the inside, but dont go all the way to the outside"

if you say "dont change a thing when i show you this flag"  then it sounds like you dont need to show it.

but me, if you come under me, i should hope theres room for it, i dont think any of us are easily shaken (to be a racer) so no it doesnt bother me, or didnt; fyi kevin and tez buzzed me last season in a gt and i was in the wood!
i didnt see the blue, but i saw kevin under me (pretty close too) i gave him room..... he appologized cuz it was close, but i told him that there was room for us both and no problem, i was happy to be racing that close ;D.... call me sick...

its a good warning, but when i saw it this season, lapping someone, it actually took my attention.... i just think it startles moreso than warns you, especialy a new guy..
40. Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but powerful beyond measure. We were all meant to shine, as children do. When our light shines, we liberate others.

Litespeed

On the small tracks here in the SW and with combined events (ex and am at the same time for most races) the blue flag may as well just be put out at lap 4 and left there for the duration.

spyderchick

Ok a bit of a tangent here, but I'm having a frustrating day so what the h&ll.

This issue, as well as the VIR gate issue and the transponder issue, wouldn't these all be best addressed at the track with a CCS representative? Rider meetings are all well and good, and they shouldn't change them, but they're held just before racing starts, addressing primarily race related issues, and most people are itching to get back to the pit and focus on racing. Wouldn't a meeting after racing on Saturday help to get some other issues addressed, as they happen, instead of the venting that often goes on here after the weekend is over and people get a chance to stew a bit?

For example: You practice Friday, and you see an issue crop up, but it's practice, so you let it slide. Saturday, you race, and you notice that this issue is now a problem. At the Saturday "debriefing" after the races are done, you have an opportunity to bring up the problem, others can voice their opinion, the race director has the night to come up with a solution or an answer that is addressed at Sunday's rider meeting. It might take a bit more of everyone's time, and of course not everyone would be present, but it could be worth a shot at getting some stuff resolved sooner rather than later or not at all.

And no, this wouldn't fix everything, but I guess I keep reading all these complaints, with no real solutions that CCS seems interested in persuing. This one could be implemented by the race director, so if nothing else, racers could have somewhere other than fellow racers to turn to for answers. Part of my frustration comes from the fact that I addressed this communication issue directly with Mr. Elliott in a couple of emails back in February, and things are back to business as usual. However, Roger did finally get his certificate from 2 years ago in the mail last week, so I guess that's progress.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".