News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Blue flags

Started by r6_philly, April 15, 2003, 12:40:54 PM

spyderchick

Well if a yellow flag is a distraction as much as a blue flag, then maybe we should throw them all away.

Obviously, this is a stupid statement. Flags are there for a very good reason, to tell the riders what's up, be it debris, an accident, or to tell a slower rider that faster traffic is coming. I think that blue flags are useful when deployed properly and when riders know that they are advisory. I know the blue flag and I know how to respond. As Brian stated, the schools and race director here (MW) do a good job of making students aware of this.

If there were experienced racers walking away from a riders meeting that ended by going over flagging, shame on you. Stay and show some respect to the race director and assist in answering any questions the newbies might have. The veteran guys are setting an example for those racers new to the sport. Yeah it might be boring and take 5 minutes of your time, but then again, that just might be enough to set one rider straight, and that rider might be in front of you the next race. Be part of the solution. Taking away a valuable communication just doesn't make sense to me.

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Jeff

Passing is and always will be an "art".  It's the art of seeing through another rider, and predicting where he/she will go at a given moment.

Personally, I always try to watch 1-2 corners before I pass just to make sure of consistency in lines.  If you have a substantial speed difference, sometimes you just have to chance it and hope for the best.  This was the case last year at BHF when I tried passing two lappers through turn the slight left that follows the carousel (before the bus-stop).  I made it around one lapper, but the other closed off the corner.  I was going a good 20-30 mph faster, and had nowhere to go but over the grass.  With the lip of the track, I took air and passed this guy while about 12" off the ground.

I figured he'd come over to beat me to a pulp, but as I apologized, he congratulated me on my super move.  He said it was "just like a video game"...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

r6_philly

QuoteIf there were experienced racers walking away from a riders meeting that ended by going over flagging, shame on you. Stay and show some respect to the race director and assist in answering any questions the newbies might have. The veteran guys are setting an example for those racers new to the sport. Yeah it might be boring and take 5 minutes of your time, but then again, that just might be enough to set one rider straight, and that rider might be in front of you the next race. Be part of the solution. Taking away a valuable communication just doesn't make sense to me.

this sunday at VIR, when they started to go over flags, every scooter/bike/mini bike that had been ridden to the riders meeting was started and ridden away by experienced racers. I know the flags, but I wanted to stay until the end of the meeting. however, I missed EVERYTHING the race director was saying because the leaving vehicles. NOTHING. It was a shame, and looked so bad infront of the new racers. they could not hear anything either...

MightyDuc Racing

I was going to stay out of this, but what the heck.  I grew up in the dirt, as you all know, and am not only used to the blue flags, am a fan of them.  I was generally one of the faster riders, and even under the age of 10, the other kids knew to stay smooth and prepare to be passed by a faster rider.  I never realized it was that complicated.  Simple...blue flag=don't panic and prepare to get passed.  If you are in the back of the pack, it's the last lap, and you are on a straight...maybe peek back and see if you can get out of the way of what might be a battle for the lead, but ONLY if it's convenient for all.  Otherwise...act like you never saw it and ride your own race...they'll get around you.  If an expert loses a race because of a back-marker...that means another expert chose a better line by them...and that's racing...IMHO.  As far as the rider meetings go...I think it should be a fine if you miss it or leave early.  Even Nascrap drivers that make millions of dollars and have raced for 30+ years get fined for missing a drivers meeting.  I was at Moroso and observed Michael Barnes, top privateer in the Daytona 200, and Formula USA champ, not only get to the meeting a few minutes early, but stay for the entire thing.  If a rider of that caliber stays, it must be a good idea to stay.  Again...IMHO.
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Speed_Shifter

Quotethis sunday at VIR, when they started to go over flags, every scooter/bike/mini bike that had been ridden to the riders meeting was started and ridden away by experienced racers. I know the flags, but I wanted to stay until the end of the meeting. however, I missed EVERYTHING the race director was saying because the leaving vehicles. NOTHING. It was a shame, and looked so bad infront of the new racers. they could not hear anything either...

The reason that many people left was due to the fact that the race director said something to the effect that most of the people here already know the flags and this is mainly for the new racers.  In my eyes it was a mistake for the race director to imply that the experienced racers didn't need to stick around.  This was the first time I've ever seen riders leave a meeting before it was over.  They all left because of what the race director said!  I also thought it was a bad idea to hold a riders meeting on the hot pit while there was a riders school on the track.  I couldn't hear half of what was said on Saturday with all the bikes going past at full speed on the front straight!  Having said that I also think it was rude the way people left the meeting on Sunday even though the race director implied you could leave if you already know the flags.

Speed_Shifter

Hey, could someone please tell me how to properly quote another post.  I can't figure out how to do the highlighted quote thingy like everyone else does.

Thanks!!

MightyDuc Racing

Click the word quote on the top right of the original post.
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

Speed_Shifter

QuoteClick the word quote on the top right of the original post.

Thanks!!!  That's much easier than trying to copy and paste.

Thanks again!!

Dawn

At the last BHF it was stated by the race director that if you do not show up for the rider's meeting or have a representative there, they may fine you or prohibit you from participating in some way.  

Dawn  

Speed_Shifter

Yes, that is one thing I did hear at the meeting on Saturday while the bikes were racing by on the front straight.  They are going to start doing random role calls and will fine riders that aren't at the meeting.  I think they said $25.00 or something like that.  If they start to fine no-shows for the meetings maybe we will get the transponders a little sooner!

Dawn

QuoteYes, that is one thing I did hear at the meeting on Saturday while the bikes were racing by on the front straight.  

A rider's meeting while bikes are still on the track?  I don't get it.  Aren't the riders on the track supposed to be at the meeting?

At BHF the rider's meeting is on the front straight.

Dawn   :)

MightyDuc Racing

Yeah...I didn't get that either.  Especially since it was a school on the track.  Shouldn't they be the ones that need the meeting the most?  We have ours after morning practice on Sunday before the first race, usually near tech or race control.
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors: