Blue flags

Started by r6_philly, April 15, 2003, 12:40:54 PM

r6_philly

did you notice the usage of blue flags? Did you think it helped?

I was leading MWSS on the last lap, then I was passed going down the hill. At the bottom of the hill in 17, I was right on his back and trying to draft pass at the finish. There were one racer who was being lapped by us. The blue flag was shown, and the lapper kinda froze and slowed down. I almost hit him (I think we touched) because the difference in speed was quite a bit and he didn't keep going where he was going, instead just kind of stopped his progress.

I wish they explained more how the blue flag will be used, and what is expected of someone who is being passed at the riders meeting. But everyone started leaving when the flags were being explained, and no one really could hear what the official was saying about the flags. that was EMBARASSING to the new racers...

Litespeed

Blue flags help some people and hurt others.  Unfortunately everyone is different and there will be no universal cure.  My thought on teh subject if figure out your normal lap times and the normal lap times of the leaders.  If there is a big enough difference you will get lapped.  You will also know on apprxoimately which lap it will happen.  My suggestion it to run the race like you want until that lap comes up.  Once you get to the point that you "should" be lapped, see how smooth of lines you can take.  Don't be overly aggressive on the brakes or gas and try to nail your apexes and lines.  This will make you slightly more predictable and give you some extra margin for error should a close call occur.

sdiver68

My advice, if you are a lappee, in addition to what litespeed said, is to make sure you leave room in every corner..on both sides.

There is no reason to go outside edge to clipping the apex to outside edge if you are running at a pace that much slower as to be lapped.  Leave a bike on both sides.  In fact, in using the entire track you are using the width of the track as a crutch to reduce the lean angle you should be trying to learn.
MCRA Race School Instructor

Dawn

According to the rule book...

4.3 COURTESY FLAGS:
4.3.1 White Flag at Starter Position - indicates final lap.
4.3.2 White & Green Flags Crossed at Starter Position - indicates completion of ½ race distance.
4.3.3 Blue Flag indicates to rider he is about to be lapped or passed by significantly faster traffic. This courtesy is merely a warning that a faster rider, or riders, are approaching, and to maintain your normal racing line.

The person that was shown the blue flag may have known what to do, but it having it happen in a race environment is another matter.  It's human nature to make mistakes and perhaps someone needs to go up to that person and simply remind them to hold their line, steady on the gas and no sudden moves.  The leaders will move around you.

Dawn  

spyderchick

As a slowbie who has been passed numerous times by the fast guys, this is my advice: Don't change your speed, don't change your line, be as predictable as possible.

When I started racing, I asked the fast guys what they wanted me to do, and this was the advice they gave me. I've been split by front runners dicing for position in critical turns. You can hear them coming, Blue flags will give you a hint that they're near. If you hold to the normal race line, they will not only pass you, but do so safely and then thank you afterwards for not standing it up and ruining everyone's day.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

r6_philly

Well my competitor passed him on the outside, and I was planning the inside. After he saw the flag,  he stood it up, slowed down and moved to the inside where I was going to pass him. He slowed down and didn't keep his line. I touched him on the inside, and the 3rd place guy almost hit both of us from behind because he was planning on drafting me.

I was just glad I didn't ruin his day by running into him and run him off the track. Its the first time I led for such a long time, and its the first time I had a chance to win, I didn't want to give up after being passed and I was going to get him back.

I don't know if the flag had helped, I think he saw the flag and didn't know what to do. And then when he was passed on the outside he might have actively thought that people were going to pass him on the outside and didn't focus on keeping his line, instead wanted to give room on the outside.

I think it would be beneficial if they announced blue flag, and to suggest if anyone sees the blue flag, stay in the middle of the track and leave room on both sides. And to remind them they could be passed by more than 1 person at a time. getting in the middle of a battle for lead at 15 mph slower could be ugly.

I don't blame the guy, I just feel glad that we didn't crash and go down, and ruining everyone's day. It may have costed me a win, but we all go home safely, and he will come back to race another day hopefully. I didn't catch his number, but I would like to tell him what we expect when we pass him, the next time he sees the flag. It was a little dangerous, and I am sure it scared him a bit...

KBOlsen

Thoughts from the slow lane:

I agree with Alexa and Litespeed.  As a slower rider, when the blue flag comes out, my "job" is to DO NOTHING DIFFERENT!  Personally, I'd like to see the blue flag done away with altogether.  

I've found that the faster riders will be much happier if you ignore their presence when they go blasting by than if you change your line in an attempt to "accomodate" faster traffic.  If "staying in the middle of the track" is a deviation from your normal line, then DON'T DO IT because the fast guys will not be expecting it.  
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

tzracer

In riders scholl we teach students to do nothing different when they see the blue flag. It is not their obligation to get out of the way. It is the over taking riders responsibility to make a safe pass. When I am lapping a rider I prefer that they keep doing what they have been doing, rather than suddenly change when they see the blue flag. Telling riders to take some sort of action when seeing the blue flag will only lead to problems. The reason the blue flag is shown is to let the rider know that the next person trying to pass is not for position and to mentally prepare for being overtaken at possibly a large speed difference.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

chris_chops

mj

take the blue flags and throw them away as they generally make things worse

if the rider isn't supposed to do anything different when they see a blue flag...why show it in the first place

all the flag does is break the riders concentration and cause a distraction

also a lot of the corner workers are not very adept in the use of the blue flag  ???

riopko

As a fairly new racer the blue flag spooked me. I was hard on the brakes entering turn one at VIR and the corner worker pointed the flag at me and waved it. For the first half second my mind went into stall mode. I thought I had a mechanical problem then the blue registered. I held my normal line, same as I would have done without the flag. I knew by lap times I would be getting lapped and was prepared. To me it is a distraction :-/

diesel748

Blue flag or not  if you are slower just hold your line. Did I forget to mention hold your line. The problem I had @ BFR was a couple of guys saw a yellow flag and decided to chop the throttle and stand it up. The first time it occuredI just missed kiss'n his rear tire by inches.