News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Proposed rule change: Gridding by points (revisited)

Started by hernan52, October 13, 2009, 04:24:24 PM

hernan52

Unless I'm reading Dave's proposal incorrectly, he is maintaining a priority for pre-entry riders.  Therefore the existing incentive to register early remains.The "layer" he adds applies for those who pre-entered by gridding them by points.

I don't have hard data to back my opinion but I trust that CCS best customers (the racers who race the most) will benefit from it.

In my opinion, gridding by Championship points works better tha PI because it rewards the riders who race more often (which, I assume, is what CCS wants to encourage).
Example: I'm only planning to race twice next year.  I register early.  I secured a first row position against racers who will spend ten times what I will spend during the season.
The idea is to give your best customers (those who race more) the best possible service.  This is a very normal business practice used in the airline and hospitality industries (preferred customer programs).
Yes, cash flow is VERY important.  There are also additional ways for CCS to encourage early payments such as tiered prices even for pre-registration (the earliest, the cheaper) and "bulk" discounts but only for "early birds".
Too complex to describe in detail in this message but not difficult to achieve with current commercially available software.

As for the safety factor, I don't have data on this.  Again, my gut feeling tells me that many of the first lap close calls are due to racers passing slower racers gridded ahead of them. (If not, let the experts start in the second wave...  :biggrin:)
Does Dave's recommendation eliminates this?  Certainly not.  But it clearly improves the current situation.

As someone said,  Not perfect.  Many issues remain.  But, in my opinion it's better than the current system.

Hernan
You don't stop laughing because you grow old.
You grow old because you stop laughing.

ahastings

ive been submitting this proposal to ccs for the past several years. I believe the gridding by preentry is nothing more then a financial issue to get more money to CCS sooner. I dont think it will affect the turnout one way or another, but it is definitely safer to grid by points. the faster riders are also generally the more aggressive into turn one. So when you have guys on the front row that are 5-10 seconds off the pace it creates some hairy situations at the starts
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor

skiandclimb

I am pretty sure CCS/SW already grids by points.....someone correct me if I am wrong.
#730 CCS MW/GP
Pursuit Racing, The Backstopper's Org.
www.cyclehouseperformance.com - St. Louis, MO.
King Edward's Chicken and Fish- St. Louis, MO.
www.mcraracing.com

daviid

Quote from: Eric Kelcher on October 13, 2009, 05:40:40 PM
The flaw with that is if your loyal customer finishes say 15th in 7 races, he scores 70 points, while a "contingency hunter" only races  and wins twice has the same 70 points, who deserves to rewarded? The loyal customer or the contingency hunter? Grids by order of entry gives all riders the opportunity to start towards the front.

How about basing a tie off of performance index?
David | 03 Suzuki SV650 | ASRA/CCS/WERA SE EX #484
RacerStuff.net / RTech Racing Fuels Fuels / Continental / Next Level Motorsports

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
-Benjamin Franklin

hernan52

Three comments:

1. I like David's idea to solve "equal points" situation: use the PI.
2. I agree with Dave Rosno's response to this point above.
3. It is up to CCS to decide who is your "core" customer that you want to reward.
Riders with Championship points have one thing in common:  They show up on a consistent basis.  In all tracks and in all weather conditions.  Most of them do pre-register.  For me, as a business person, the choice between my loyal customer and the eventual contingency rider is a no brainer.

Hernan

PS: about safety (again).  Do we REALLY believe that it makes no difference to grid pre-entered riders by points?
I could understand the argument that because it doesn't solve all issues, it's not worth the effort...... but, no difference?
I must have been riding in a parallel universe.
You don't stop laughing because you grow old.
You grow old because you stop laughing.

Team Spalding

Joel Spalding
CCS & ASRA #36

Sponsors: Michelin, Ducati Of Indy, Wife Cindy, Held Gloves, Southeast Sales.

badmonkey

With the grids as small as they are nowadays  why are you so concerned about where you are on the grid. Why not figure out a way to get more bikes out there. That seems to me like the more important problem.
Do you want to touch my Monkey?

Super Dave

Quote from: badmonkey on November 03, 2009, 07:46:40 PM
With the grids as small as they are nowadays  why are you so concerned about where you are on the grid. Why not figure out a way to get more bikes out there. That seems to me like the more important problem.
Why should that be an individual rider issue?  The racer works hard enough to get to the race.  Why shouldn't current and future racers be rewarded for their patronage?  That is a way to get more bikes out there that the racing organization could undertake on its own.
Super Dave

ahastings

maybe a better gridding procedure will get more people out there.
Arnie
A&M Motorsports

badmonkey

Missing the point SD.  Turnout is down and the grids are small as crap. If you cant get a good start go to your local dragstrip and practice.  :whine:
Do you want to touch my Monkey?

ahastings

grids arent small as crap in all classes, its a different game in the middleweight and heavyweight stuff then the lightweight
Arnie
A&M Motorsports

Super Dave

Quote from: badmonkey on November 05, 2009, 08:05:19 PM
Missing the point SD.  Turnout is down and the grids are small as crap. If you cant get a good start go to your local dragstrip and practice.  :whine:
Ok, then, why not grid alphabetically...
Super Dave