Attn: Duc racers...could it be???

Started by skiandclimb, September 16, 2009, 11:16:44 AM

HAWK

Great, I get to go duc hunting after all.

Looking forward to racing with you again.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

123user

Quote from: Ducmarc on September 20, 2009, 07:09:40 PM
ah the 1100 bimota dynoed at 120 my 748 dynoed at 119 i think i can find a couple more to about 122 or 3 but to get to 130 i would probbaly have to have a 853 kit which could be considered cheating   plus i've never seen a 330lb 748 maybe 380. but what you get is a real chasiss which is half the battle  the bimota's has a pretty good chassis and is light coupled with ttx shock and 20k worth of forks makes it hard to beat i've got about 10k in my ebay assy. job with a lot of chris boy corse parts  his makes 130 and i know what's in it . i really don't think the average racer has the wallet and the stomach to race a 120hp 748  i bet half way through next year there will only be 5 or 6 good running 748's out there anyway.

Well, I've already got too much stomach... and the cost is pretty low if you do most of the work yourself.  And, what's too much?    Plus, there's more to the 748 motor than just hp as compared to the dual sparks... like actually having some over-rev.  Still, a custom Ti frame & composite tank with a 748 could be very close to 300-310lb.  But you're right about the chassis, my dual-spark shook like a can of squirrels until I welded in some gusseting.

Ya know, I just talked myself into it!  This is the greatest idea ever!

benprobst

Quote from: 123user on September 21, 2009, 04:56:53 PM
Well, I've already got too much stomach... and the cost is pretty low if you do most of the work yourself.  And, what's too much?    Plus, there's more to the 748 motor than just hp as compared to the dual sparks... like actually having some over-rev.  Still, a custom Ti frame & composite tank with a 748 could be very close to 300-310lb.  But you're right about the chassis, my dual-spark shook like a can of squirrels until I welded in some gusseting.

Ya know, I just talked myself into it!  This is the greatest idea ever!

Let me ride the 1000. Ill let you keep the trophies.  :biggrin:
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

123user

Ben, it wouldn't be fair for someone that is actually talented to ride my duc.  Besides, if I was only interested in trophies I would've quit a long time ago!

Ducmarc

will the custom frame be legal? i can dig out my corse frame it's been collecting dust.it's stiff but still heavy. a light tank and mag swingarm is on the wish list for next year . the way it rev's and sounds is part of what i like about it . i still think there will only be a few bikes added . i really surprised no ones running a 749r in tbike now.  i smell a 748 shoot out at daytona next year. sorry about the one liners the pain killers are making me loopy

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote from: HAWK on September 20, 2009, 11:06:35 PM
Uhhhh... Rob that would be racing UP a class, no problem.

Shut ups yous. :biggrin:

"Hey control, 413 is leaking, may wanna blackflag him. :lmao:
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

123user

Reading the rulebook it looks like a custom frame is legal in supertwins, GT, and of course LWGP.  If, for some reason you need one bike for all lightweight classes... obviously you'll have to compromise. 

funsizeracing

I wouldn't mind seeing the 748 allowed in LW classes.  Could open the class up to more people and make for larger grids.
Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

backMARKr

Bartlett????

You have a 748 in the garage, don't you?

I'll trade you two whiney SVs for it!
NFC Racin',Woodcraft, Pitbull,M4, SUDCO,Bridgestone
WERA #13

skiandclimb

Ben,

Mine is a 996, not 998.  Similar? Yes...they look identical.  But performance wise, the 998 has the current testastretta configuration.  thinner, lighter, more powerful, etc etc.

Here's some basic stocker info on a few bikes:

Buell XB12: 103 HP/84 ft lb torque

Ducati 996: 112 HP/68 ft lb torque

Ducati 999: 143 HP/82 ft lb torque

So, our 996 bikes have 9 more ponies (yes, I am talking stock specs) than a 1200 Buell, and 16 LESS ft lb of torque, but we are relugateld to heavyweight classes ONLY.  Its not a matter of whining, or calling "not fair" but seriously....there's no brevity there.

When I wrote Kevin about the 996, I never requested it be put into LW classes.  Why? LW and ULW are already hammered by bigger bikes than they ever were in previous years.  I think a 996 would dominate in LW class with the right rider...but it would be BS to have one in there running against SV's.  I just found it odd that Buell's are granted such leeway in class structure, and that the rules still had so much negativism towards "Desmo valving" and wondered why.  If you just compare the Buell to the 996, there is almost identical performance: 112/68 vs 103/84....pretty even numbers in my opinion, but the Buells are running LW, and I have to run against GSXR 750's or 1000 I4 stuff. :jerkoff:

I just didn't think it was right to relugate a similar spec bike to HW only classes, when the other is allowed two classes down.

Here's another thing to think about.  Every time one of these discussions comes up, there's always one or two people saying that people should "shut up" and just go out and buy a newer, more competetive bike. While there is some truth in the statement, the reality is that this IS club racing, and not AMA, WSB, GP, etc.  It is club racing.  In the "big leagues" there is no issue of reclassification (oops, forgot about the Buell again!) and therefore isn't a huge issue.  Club racing, on the other hand, needs reclassification now and again.  Why? Because the average club racer does not have access to racing a fully prepped 2009, 10, 11 model.  Are there some who can and do?  Yep, but not a ton.  Mostly, it's about going out and having fun.....COMPETETIVE fun. Reclassification of a ten year old generation of bikes is pretty much in line with this thought process.

Please, also notice that the only bikes CCS is thinking about reclassing is the old Desmoquattro stuff...748/916/996 only.  The 749/998/999 Testastretta motors, and even the 848/1098 stuff isn't affected.

Twin cylinder bikes have always been placed in different classes to try and make things even.  And yes, there are always a few who will build the hell out of one to gain an advantage....and yes, there will always be one or two companies (cough, Buell) who will slide in an unfair advantage (1125, ahem).  But none of this is on par with reclassing an older, out of production, and under-powered as compared to new, generation of bikes.

I merely want to be able to run a few more classes, other than just Supertwins, where I could have a chance at competing.  Will I still get my ass handed to me in MW with my 996?  You betcha!  Why? Because even in MW, my bike can't hold a candle to an R6 or CBR....but I ( and other quattro owners) may have a little more fun battling against something CLOSER than the HW stuff we are relugated to run against.  That's not an unfair advantage- that's a reclass that makes sense in filling more grids.

PS- Ben....you complete me, and I'm gonna give you a good game when I see you next....and blame it on Randy. :thumb:  LOL
#730 CCS MW/GP
Pursuit Racing, The Backstopper's Org.
www.cyclehouseperformance.com - St. Louis, MO.
King Edward's Chicken and Fish- St. Louis, MO.
www.mcraracing.com

Woofentino Pugrossi

Well your 996 tops out stock at 161mph and the XB12R is 20 mph slower.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

123user

Yup... its just club racing.  You're not making a living doing it.  Thats exactly why this reclassification is unnecessary.  A little friendly racing for fun means that you're willing to run whatever you can afford in its designated class.  Lobbying for reclassification to make a 10 year old bike competetive in some class isn't always welcome change.

I'm a little amused at the horsepower numbers you quote for the XB12R though.  That 103 number comes out of their corporate literature and is recorded using the SAE J607 spec... and its not a measure of rear wheel hp, as most racer speak of. 

I think everyone understands that you don't recommend adding the 996 to the lightweight class, and that you're just making a comparison between a currently legal bike AND the 996.  However, if you think that the 996 and XB12R are comparable in any category... you're way off!  The Buell is essentially a cleverly marketed tractor w/slicks, while both the 748 and 996 ducatis are over-engineered bikes designed for racing, they've been redeveloped through countless hours on the WSB stage and have lots of easily obtainable corse-parts.

In the end, what you're proposing would throw in a bike with a World Superbike pedigree into a class now comprised of pedestrian (although overbuilt) streetbikes.  Its just upping the ante... in a class where it should be backed down.