News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Road America first timer. Some Q's..

Started by skiandclimb, March 30, 2009, 10:52:14 PM

skiandclimb

Most importantly- what has the weather looked like up there around the first of May in previous years?

Also- who here will be running AM HW SS and AM Supertwins?  How are the fields usually?

Cheers,
Ski
#730 CCS MW/GP
Pursuit Racing, The Backstopper's Org.
www.cyclehouseperformance.com - St. Louis, MO.
King Edward's Chicken and Fish- St. Louis, MO.
www.mcraracing.com

Woofentino Pugrossi

We used to run RA at the end of April until about 2 yrs ago then they ran it in July for the last 2 years. But since its basically the start of May, it could be a nice sunny 55-70 deg for the races, or 40's and rainy. Hard to say what the weather will do there. One year it was so foggy that the track was shut down until noon when it lifted. Couldnt even see the tower form the tech area. I had trouble seeing the guys paddocked across the road from me. The July one 2 years ago was freaking hot. Personally I'll take cold over heat.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

El Guapo

Global warming does not apply up here.  Bet on crappy weather - bring your stickiest rain tires, a hooded parka with windwall, and a pair of insulated galoshes for splashing in other peoples' puddled paddocks.  Average temps for Elkhart Lake on May 1 are 61F high and 40F low, and spring is certainly not the dry season.

Finally, just set up your self-propelled Honda snowblower to be a generator & pull a pit cart - then you'll be ready for anything.  Except a flood... so maybe bring the bass boat too.

skiandclimb

Thanks guys! I know it was an ambiguous question, given the date, but knowledge is power.

Cheers,
Ski
#730 CCS MW/GP
Pursuit Racing, The Backstopper's Org.
www.cyclehouseperformance.com - St. Louis, MO.
King Edward's Chicken and Fish- St. Louis, MO.
www.mcraracing.com

Woofentino Pugrossi

I may be up there also. But tossing flags. Still waiting to see if I go that thur/friday off.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

backMARKr

Quote from: skiandclimb on March 30, 2009, 10:52:14 PM
Most importantly- what has the weather looked like up there around the first of May in previous years?

Cheers,
Ski

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
NFC Racin',Woodcraft, Pitbull,M4, SUDCO,Bridgestone
WERA #13

spyderchick

Quote from: skiandclimb on March 30, 2009, 10:52:14 PM

<Laughing hysterically and manically>

40's and rainy doesn't begin to describe it. It's cold, windy, low 40's in the day, low to mid 30's overnight. I think I remember 1 nice RA spring weekend in the last 7 or 8 years.

BTW, make sure you thank the corner workers, but if the weather is like that, thank them profusely, because they are out in the shite all damn day.

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Dr675

Wisconsin's weather is like Scotland's, only theirs is better weather six months of the year.

Wisconsin in Spring: cloudy- check, 30+ mph winds- check, rain/snow mix- check, temps nudging around 40 degrees- check.
"...you gotta kick at the darkness til it bleeds daylight"- BNL

tstruyk

I was told back in 05 that if you are there for a weekend in april, at somepoint,

A. It will be cold
B. there will be percipitation of some sort

05 it was 32deg and snowing during practice
06 it was 40s and raining most of the weekend
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

Super Dave

:spank:

I think it was 2000 or 2001 that it was nice in April.  April 2002 was ice pellets for some races.  Rain tires had more grip than DOT's and warmers when it was dry with temperatures of about 35F. 

In 1996, the races were in May, 14th or so?, and everything was delayed because of ice under the bridges.

It's still late winter here through May, but I can hope for something dry and reasonable.
Super Dave

Burt Munro

Word of caution.............

Every year that I've been there in late April - early May there has been at least one embarassing moment going out for the early practice sessions.

Pit out going onto Hot Pit is a sharp right hand turn.  Guaranteed at least 1 person will get a little excited and do a low speed low side with a ton of people bunched up behind him!
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

spyderchick

Oh yeah, and if it is warmer...50s overnight/60s daytime, there will most likely be fog delays in the AM.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".