Road America first timer. Some Q's..

Started by skiandclimb, March 30, 2009, 10:52:14 PM

jigs

Quote from: Burt Munro on March 31, 2009, 11:04:58 PM
Word of caution.............

Every year that I've been there in late April - early May there has been at least one embarassing moment going out for the early practice sessions.

Pit out going onto Hot Pit is a sharp right hand turn.  Guaranteed at least 1 person will get a little excited and do a low speed low side with a ton of people bunched up behind him!
Yeah for sure,not to mention T-5 and T-6 are plenty slick too in the cold A.M.

gpz11

So we have all this to look forward too and no practice day.

I can't wait!!!

Super Dave

Quote from: jigs on April 01, 2009, 10:42:49 AM
Yeah for sure,not to mention T-5 and T-6 are plenty slick too in the cold A.M.
It's because they are the first lefts.  Watch out for T8 also.  It's a left.
Super Dave

schmitty

Things aren't looking real good for this year!  The weather up here has been worth a shit so far.  It's April 1st and the weather today is 41 degrees and snow flurries.  We're one month out and things better change damn quick or we're screwed!

Schmitty
CCS MW AM #133
2009 Sponsors: AGVSport, Suomy, Vortex, Amsoil, Buell of Appleton, Metro Motorcycle, The Locker Room Sports Pub

GSXR RACER MIKE

And some freindly advice to anyone who hasn't been on a track when it's cold out, if you use tire warmers you may have decent traction on your 1st lap or 2 then the tires may actually cool down resulting in less traction - so be careful! Another cold weather issue is suspension, that fluid in your suspension may not want to flow very well at 1st and you might find that your bike wants to lose traction sooner because the suspension is too rigid and isn't letting the tire follow the racing surface like normal, but that should fix itself as you work the suspension going around the track. You may notice rigid suspension (from the cold) when you 1st get on the bike in the pits, it won't bounce up and down worth a darn, if that's the case take it easy the 1st lap or 2.

Talk about a double edged sword: 1st couple laps you may have warm tires and cold suspension, after that the suspension's working and the tires cooled off!  :wtf:
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

jigs

Quote from: GSXR RACER MIKE on April 01, 2009, 09:48:40 PM
And some freindly advice to anyone who hasn't been on a track when it's cold out, if you use tire warmers you may have decent traction on your 1st lap or 2 then the tires may actually cool down resulting in less traction - so be careful! Another cold weather issue is suspension, that fluid in your suspension may not want to flow very well at 1st and you might find that your bike wants to lose traction sooner because the suspension is too rigid and isn't letting the tire follow the racing surface like normal, but that should fix itself as you work the suspension going around the track. You may notice rigid suspension (from the cold) when you 1st get on the bike in the pits, it won't bounce up and down worth a darn, if that's the case take it easy the 1st lap or 2.

Talk about a double edged sword: 1st couple laps you may have warm tires and cold suspension, after that the suspension's working and the tires cooled off!  :wtf:
Good points for sure....think I will post register for sure!!

G-reg

Quote from: schmitty on April 01, 2009, 02:35:10 PM
Things aren't looking real good for this year!  The weather up here has been worth a shit so far.  It's April 1st and the weather today is 41 degrees and snow flurries.  We're one month out and things better change damn quick or we're screwed!

Schmitty

But two weeks ago it was 70 out so who knows... 
--Greg
MW EX#84

Supergirl

All this information is not really encouraging, but highly appreciated!!  :biggrin:

*reminds*

"and no practice day..."
IMMIGracing
CCS #56 - Arlen Ness Racing, Hindle, Silkolene, Suomy, Woodcraft, Vortex, Sharkskinz, PopShadow, TrackdayMag.com, CyclepathRacing.com

steve p

I can't even post what I think about running there in the early spring. I don't want to get banned.
Steve Palella
MW #32
2002 Aprilia RSVR Mille

tzracer

FWIW I have heard that CCS lost the July date due to rescheduling needed to fit in the SCCA Runoffs.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

jigs

That's what I heard but I also heard from the same source at the same time we get it back next year.....????

MegRyan

I recall one year racing at RA in the early spring on my 125. It was dry, surprisingly but so cold out that I still ran my rain's and they still looked brand new after 2 rounds of practice and one race. But I also won my first race in 40 degree rainy weather, so I may not like it but I seem to do well in crappy weather.
~Meg Ryan~