dustin boyd....I heard some awful news...

Started by racrx451, June 01, 2008, 07:21:38 PM

Burt Munro

Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

RoyHefner

Dustin, real sorry to hear about your injuries.  Best wishes for a quick recovery! I look forward to seeing you back at the track soon.  The same goes for Erik and all the other riders who suffered injuries this past weekend.
Roy Hefner
CCS / ASRA  #163
J.O.S. Motorsports, MCC, Pirelli, Vortex, Silkolene

Team_Serpent

Quote from: Burt Munro on June 02, 2008, 11:51:38 PM
Something hit the airfence at Turn 2 during that incident as it had to be reattached prior to restarting the race.

From what I understand the bike hit the air fence Dustin hit the tire wall.  Apparently the bike came away in pretty good shape, handle bar and lever basically.  Dustin went into the tire wall feet first and broke the ankle area pretty bad (had some minor surgery on it already and will probably need more when the swelling goes down) and his hip (still being determined as to weather or not the hip will need surgery).

r1owner

Was it a case of the bike lifted the airfence up and Dustin slid underneath it?

Mrs CyclePath Racing

Hey everyone, This is Megan, Dustin's wife.  I am sitting in Rockford Memorial and thought I would post an update on Dustin.  First of all, I can not express my thanks to Joe Denowh, Don Elfstrom from CSB, Steve Palella, Brad, the paramedics and all of you who helped us get Dustin to the hospital, our stuff packed up and delivered to the house, including our little dog Lula. 

As far as what happened, the bike did hit the air fence and Dustin hit the tire wall.  Had there been a 5th section of air fence, Dustin too would have hit air fence.  So out of it the bike fared well, but the man did not.  He has a sheared left Tibia and Talus.  The tibia will require a steel plate and pins eventually and should heal well.  The Talus on the other hand is our big concern.  The talus has a very poor blood supply to it, which was most likely destroyed by the impact.  The doctors say there is an 80-90% chance that his Talus will die, requiring ankle fusion. Dustin had surgery on Sunday afternoon to stabilize the ankle, however that did not take.  Yesterday, they brought in a Top Trauma Orthopedic Surgeon to realign the ankle and leg and stabilize the foot correctly.  It appears that the surgery was a great success and with luck on our side, he will only have 1 last surgery to repair the fractures in 10 -15 days.  Dustin also has an accult fracture of his right hip, which fortunately has not required any surgery to date.  It does however require him to stay immobile for quite some time (6 weeks with little to no weight bearing on it). 

I can not express my thankfulness to the group for all of your support, well wishes and prayers.  Please keep them coming as we have a long road ahead of us.  It is this unique second family environment that keeps us doing what we do, 

For those of you who are Pirelli customers, no worries.  We have 4 weeks to the next event and all preorders will be taken care of and delivered.  The rest of the events are 7+ weeks out and we will be there to take care of all of your needs.  Please contact me, Megan, at 412-334-9104 or meganboyd23@gmail.com if you need anything for the next event as we will be placing the order early next week. 

As for the pictures below, the first is the first traction device they put his foot in, the second picture is the one he has today and the last is Dustin being Dustin - in good spirits and just happy to be here.

Thanks again,

Megan

racrx451

thanx for the update megan... im glad the surgeries were a "GREAT SUCCESS" (in my best borat voice)... ha.  how much longer till he gets to go home? 
'08 Ducati 848

CCS/ASRA #451

Mrs CyclePath Racing

r1owner

Hope he's in the 20% where the bone recovers...

jrsmail616

------------------
Some of us are serious, some not so serious, and some just play and terrorize the rest of us.

chaplain220

Megan, thanks for the update.   Dustin, Erik and Matt, praying for all of you and your families.  Matt, you got some rough sleeping ahead with those ribs, been there bro.  All you bros heal up real quick, peace at home, work and financial stability while you heal.  Don Elf and Ron, thnx for helping.