r6 snorkle removal.. PLEASE!

Started by MELK-MAN, February 26, 2008, 06:09:11 PM

TommyG

Quote from: MELK-MAN on February 27, 2008, 11:36:58 PM
ok.. but the snorkle is attached to the air filter and is not attached to the air box, it just fits onto the air box when the filter gets screwed in place. Kind of a grey area really. Sure would be nice to be able to remove it.
It was only a grey area until they posted a clear ruling on it last year. Now it`s just illegal. case closed.

TommyG

Quote from: Woofentino Pugrossi on February 27, 2008, 02:02:13 PM
And how many 848's do we expect to see in CCS? I expect 0 in the MW region. The only time I seen a 1098 at a race was a spectators at teh 2nd to last BHF.
Temme an Martinez plan on riding their 848s in MW when motost scheduling allows.

d-wire

If you unbolt the air filter and throw it at the wall.....the "snorkel" hit the wall and is not attached to the airbox.  Obviously they made a ruling.  I believe this thread was intended to get the thinking behind that or have them reconsider.
Dunlop, Crush Leathers, DCDecals.net, GPBikes Inc, Acme PowderCoating, Sharkskinz, Leo VInce, Bazzaz
FL region #2

Boober

Quote from: d-wire on February 29, 2008, 06:31:14 PM
If you unbolt the air filter and throw it at the wall.....the "snorkel" hit the wall and is not attached to the airbox.  Obviously they made a ruling.  I believe this thread was intended to get the thinking behind that or have them reconsider.
Ya think?  Is that why a guy like Melka who is an experienced roadracer posted here?  He wants a rule changed? Really?  I suppose you want me to believe he races a R6 !!!!!??

tstruyk

Quote from: backMARKr on February 28, 2008, 02:24:08 PM
Don't see too many handguns here at the high school, but ironically we still have regs to deal with that circumstance..... 8)

noted!!     :biggrin:
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

JBraun

It is pretty ridiculous.
You can have an overbore motor, titanium exhaust, aftermarket filter, FI programmer, quick shifter, traction control system, and $22 per gallon rocket fuel, and still be supersport legal...

but pull the restrictor out of the airbox and you get disqualified.  :err:

How about some consistency?

ASRA/CCS MW #29
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
PIRELLI

Super Dave

Quote from: JBraun on March 03, 2008, 05:09:55 PM
It is pretty ridiculous.
You can have an overbore motor, titanium exhaust, aftermarket filter, FI programmer, quick shifter, traction control system, and $22 per gallon rocket fuel, and still be supersport legal...

but pull the restrictor out of the airbox and you get disqualified.  :err:

How about some consistency?
It's not attached to the air box.  It's attached to the air filter.

I think you can remove the starter, the charging system, back cut the transmission, and use those cool ceramic brake rotors too, as long as they are the stock diameter.
Super Dave

Super Dave

Don't forget, you can replace the intake snorkels, the velocity stacks, on air boxes as they are not considered part of the air box.
Super Dave

Eric Kelcher

This has me confused, Cermaic brake rotors are not legal in any class, as of now, The restrictor that is bolted on the air filter of the 06- Yamaha R6 becomes part of the air box when the filter is bolted into place so it is part of air box.  There was confusion on this issues and why addressed this model specifiaclly last year. The intake snorkels are also part of the air box and if the size or number of openings change it is not SS legal.

Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

d-wire

I respect your decision Eric.  Thanks for all you do and for answering my many questions lately.  THanks for fixing that grid mistake at Daytona and it made a difference in the race in a positive way. 

Id rather that snorkel be considered part of the filter, but that is racing.....
Dunlop, Crush Leathers, DCDecals.net, GPBikes Inc, Acme PowderCoating, Sharkskinz, Leo VInce, Bazzaz
FL region #2

Team_Serpent

Guys,

I wouldn't freak out about the 848 being in MW stuff.

First off (MELK-MAN), it doesn't make 130hp out of the box on pump gas

Even in race trim it doesn't make 130hp on pump.

Will it be a contender? Yes

Will it be a dominator? No

IMHO even after a year of development I don't think you'll see it dominate.

Don't get me wrong the bike is super cool and a blast to ride, won't suprise me if we win a few more races this year but don't get your panties in a bundle just yet.

lonewrench

just so you guys know the snorkel as you guys call it is not there to rob horse power, its there to reduce air box noise.In addition running the snorkel doesnt make a differance in hp either.What it does do is make you not able to clean your air filter and yes they get filthy weekly. In my opinion the unit is not needed.When you take it out if it makes you feel better bitchin' if you want to run it do it,but either way you arent gonna win or lose a race over it,not even close! As far as the unit its not part of the air box,If you were to gather the info from the source,Yamaha-Motor and not a local dealer they would tell you that.At any rate when I do race CCS events i just go ahead and drop the snorkel in,no fuss,no muss.Fuck it, why argue at tech over some bullshit like that?
yours truly,
      the lonewrench