News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Procrastination doesn't pay.

Started by Gixxer124, March 01, 2003, 06:51:13 PM

Gixxer124

Just decided to check the old Gixxer out before the season gets under way. What does it mean if the valves have thick (I mean THICK) black crap all over them? The bike only has 3200 miles on it. The last 1000 on the track. Is this normal? Being a car engine guy, this doesn't happen for a long, long time and I've never had it happen on a race motor. I geuss I need to pull the head and take care of this? This is not in the budget. :'(  Some help?

Woofentino Pugrossi

Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Gixxer124

QuoteSounds like carbon buildup. :-[

Carbon, yes, but is this normal?

Protein Filled

What kind of gas were you running?
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

K3 Chris Onwiler

You're overly rich, burning oil, or both.  Fluffy, sooty, flat black is rich.  Moist or glossy is oil.  Have you done compression and leakdown tests?  Those should be next.  If the bike passes, ask yourself, "Does she use oil?"  If not, the culprit is jetting.
Will it start?  Ride it!  You're so cheap that you brag about it, so why should we expect that you'll spend $$$ to rebuild a motor that still runs? ;D
Seriously, if it's a rich condition, just take the bike to a dyno.  For around $200, you'll be set on the money.  Most of the carbon will burn away.  Perhaps the motor won't be perfect, but certianly good enough for a yellowplated sandbagger...
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Gixxer124

Edgar: Stock motor. D&D slip-on. Ran 91 octane premium unleaded.
K3: I think I'll pull the motor and have a full Superstock rebuild done to it by Yoshi. :P

r1owner

Speedballer told me it was because you rarely go above 6K RPM ;)

Speedballer347

hehehehe :)

R1, I should have my bottom-end finished tomorrow night.
You need to finish your bike too!!!! 8)

CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

r1owner

Man, I haven't even touched it in three weeks.  At this rate, I'll be lucky to make the first race at Gateway in June!!!! :(

I won't be able to work on it tomorrow either, as I have a ton of stuff to do around the house.  I am getting depressed, and the weather f-ing sucks!

I'll fire that bitch up on June 1st, and probably need a rebuild, since it hasn't been started since like end of July.

Protein Filled

If you were running a stock motor with pump gas, I would say that K3 is right. The reason I asked about fuel is that I run a 110 leaded gas and that leaves lead deposits on the valves. I don't think you need to remove the carbon, but it's not the way to make the most hp, so it's up to you.  ;)
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

Super Dave

I run 120+ MON fuel, and I have no lead deposits.  Some fuels leave deposits, period.

91MON unleadeds burn with more debris than 89 or 87 MON fuel...

Back to original break-in, if you babied it, the rings are probably not holding the oil down, and now you need a new set of rings and a hone job.  

My $.02...
Super Dave

Gixxer124

Don't know about the break-in, I bought the bike with a salvage title. It had 2200 miles on it when I bought it. The carbon looks a little wet. I've heard that the guides can leak a little when an engine is opperated at high RPMs. I wasn't expecting it to build up this soon.  The last couple races it would bog down low until it really got warmed up. Could this be because it was rich? The slip-on was on the bike when I bought it. I don't know if the jets are stock or not. Your right, Edgar, it doesn't look very HP friendly. Let me see, porting, mill the head, Yoshi cams......who needs a 750.