News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Procrastination doesn't pay.

Started by Gixxer124, March 01, 2003, 06:51:13 PM

Gixxer124

QuoteSpeedballer told me it was because you rarely go above 6K RPM ;)

My first experience riding a GSXR:
My brothers friend was watching me race at the drag strip and had a GSXR600. He wanted me to take it for a ride. I was a little apprehensive at first cause the last time I had ridden a street bike was 15 years earlier, which had ended in a 100 MPH over the handlebars, roadrash inflicting, face of death experience. (Those old water buffalo's don't handle too well, do they. And for you punks, thats a 1975 3 cylinder, water-cooled 2 stroke that weighed almost 600 pounds.) I thought about it awhile and said OK. I rode the bike and thought, pretty cool, no big deal. I was used to the accelleration of a 170 MPH rear engine dragster and my only motorcycle expereince was the buffalo. I got back and he said "So what you think? Pretty fast, huh? I was trying to think of something nice to say when he adds "Yeh, when you get it above 8000 grand it's like a rocket!" 8000 grand, hmm? I was shifting at 6000! Hey, that's what the red-line was on a water buffalo. :-[

K3 Chris Onwiler

Quote. The carbon looks a little wet.

The last couple races it would bog down low until it really got warmed up. Could this be because it was rich?

Let me see, porting, mill the head, Yoshi cams......who needs a 750.

Wet is oil.  Rings or guides.  A valve job with new seals should be around $200 if you bring the head to the machinist.  Have the bores measured.  If you can still get away with the original pistons, OEM rings are about $40 per piston.  The machinist should hone the bores before reassembly.  A Weisco piston kit is $200-300, boring about $40-60 per hole.

Rich usually HELPS cold, low speed operation.  Making the mixture rich is what the choke's job is, so if you're jetted rich, cold running will be great.  How's that air filter look, cheapskate?

Lets see...  F40 rules require a SS legal machine, so porting and cams are out.  Personally, I feel that since 1000 and 750 machines are legal, a 600 should be allowed to run Superbike specs.  You have no idea how I'd love to add slicks, port work and flatslides to my Ninja!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

K3 Chris Onwiler

Kev, if you can do the teardown and rebuild yourself, but need a machinist, E me.  I have a guy who does great work fast.  A common term in his vocabulary is "Racer Emergency."
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"

Gixxer124

QuoteLets see...  F40 rules require a SS legal machine, so porting and cams are out.  

You think they'll tear me down? Ha ha ha! ;D

mdr14

Yes, deposits on the valves to the excess you have described, while not frequent, is normal.

I'm gonna bet that everything on the motor is fine, piston rings included. I'm sure your bike still runs. The carbon build up should not be that big of a problem.

If it were my bike,
I would pull the head and send it to my favorite performance shop. I would have them clean the valves, cut the valve seat with a Serdi valve job, and reassemble it with brand new valve guide oil seals. After it was put back together, I would schedule some dyno time on a Dynojet model 250 dyno to tweak the jetting so that the air/ fuel ratio was a bit more optimal. That would help keep the valves from getting that build up again.

Matt Drucker
MD Racing
www.mdracingstp.com

james-redsv

If you overfill with oil it will get sucked up into the air box from the crank case and leave nice oil deposits on the top of your intake valves. Also 93 pump gas will leave crap on your valves too. I would check the oil level and run some race gas from now on. The race gas will clean up ypur valves quite nice. There isnt anything seriously wrong with your bike. ;D

Super_KC124

Putting it back together. Hell, I can't ride the thing as fast as it will go. Why make it faster! ;D (In other words, I'm a cheapskate. K3, you happy now? :P)

K3 Chris Onwiler

Quote(In other words, I'm a cheapskate. K3, you happy now? :P)

Not until you put on a white plate and race me mano a mano.  (Well, as mano as a panty wearing, yellow plated sandbagger can be...)
Seriously.  You dick!  I had you pegged as the guy I was going to battle furiously with this year, but you chickened out and hid behind a yellow plate.  I'm soooo dissapointed!!!

Gixxer124

QuoteNot until you put on a white plate and race me mano a mano.  (Well, as mano as a panty wearing, yellow plated sandbagger can be...)
Seriously.  You dick!  I had you pegged as the guy I was going to battle furiously with this year, but you chickened out and hid behind a yellow plate.  I'm soooo dissapointed!!!

You're breaking my heart.       You dick!

K3 Chris Onwiler

Well, at least you can come from the back of the amateur grid and smoke my white plate @$$ at Gateway. ;D :o  Seriously though.  I won't be racing against Edgar anymore now that I have the ZX6R, so I had you all slotted in as his replacement in the arch-rival position.  Oh well.  I'll just have to go play with someone else...

K3 Chris Onwiler

Think about it, Kevin.  Me, You, Eddie Bingham, the Schock brothers, Dean Hagaman...  What a bunch of fast guys are going to be in Expert F40 this year!  And sitting there with a huge target on his back is Rick (Bossman) Brewer!  Oh, the drama!
This has been the winter of my discontent.  Work has really sucked.  Fantasizing about the crazy-fast crowd in EXF40 for 03 has been the only thing that has gotten me through.  Honestly, this is the reason that I've been busting your balls so bad about staying yellow.  I've been picturing these insane, 5 to 8 bike battles for only 5 trophies, and it's had me GRINNING!!!  There's just nothing better than a BATTLE!!!  That's why I'm so dissappointed that you won't be joining us in the white plate crowd.  Your competition will be missed.
OK, enough mushy stuff.  Back to ball busting.  Planning to enter F40 amateur AGAIN this year so you can DEFEND your TWO CHAMPIONSHIPS?  Anticipating any super-talented young 40 year old beginners to show up and give you some competition?  Do I smell cherry pie baking? ;D  Hey!  Maybe I should call CCS and ask them if I can retain my amateur status so you'll have someone to race with!!!  Would I like to show up at Daytona ROC this fall as a FORMULA 40 AMATEUR?!!!  Nah.  I'll go white.  I like COMPETITION!!!

Super Dave

Can I play with you guys if I ride a really, really old bike?
Super Dave