News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Tire Warmer Question

Started by PolishPete, January 19, 2008, 12:44:25 PM

Hollywood

Quote from: SCOTTY727 on January 20, 2008, 09:22:09 PM
The only true way to measure the temp of a tire is to use a pyrometer. Which measures the temp of the inner core - not the tire rubber... Everything I have learned and experienced leads me to believe that the carcas of the tire has more of a to do with how the tire feel/works - then the rubber itself....

+1. The outer carcass doesn't really do it from a heat temp measuring perspective, especially since we can't tell the interior temp of the tire and that makes all the decisions when it comes to tire behavoir under stress. Some freinds of mine that race professionally tend to pull the warmer back and check heat with an IR gun right where the lip of the wheel meets the edge of the tire. The wheel also acts as a giant radiator for any of the heat to be dissapated through.

Just think of this if you are worried about heat cycling your tire too much and having to buy new ones maybe more regularly though. I was told once by an old and crafty racer; it is far less expensive to purchase new rubber than to replace  all of your broken parts after losing traction and answering yourself alone in your helmet. You will have no one to blame but yourself.
ASRA/CCS EX#20  
www.rpmmotorsportsracing.com