News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Tire Warmer Question

Started by PolishPete, January 19, 2008, 12:44:25 PM

r1owner

I agree with Dave.. Why risk it?  ~350 for a set of tires is a lot cheaper than a couple of weeks in a hospital and all the costs associated with fixing the bike.

I usually put mine on as soon as I remember after taking my helmet and gloves off, which can range from 1 minute to 15 depending on how tired/pissed I am.

Whatever you do, don't forget to turn them off when you remove them!  :kicknuts:

Super Dave

The new Woodcraft warmers have some kind of system that will shut off the warmer when it's taken off.  That will be very cool.
Super Dave

wolf44

Pete are you running street tires or race tires?
Quote from: benprobst on July 28, 2008, 11:24:05 PM
Huh, guess I was wrong,
CCS GP EX#5
2008 Sponsors
MotoVelocity www.motovelocity.net
Mills Quarter Horses www.millsquarterhorses.com
St. Louis Staffing www.stlouis-staffing.com
Ducati Omaha www.ducatiomaha.com

r1owner

Quote from: Super Dave on January 20, 2008, 06:22:02 AM
The new Woodcraft warmers have some kind of system that will shut off the warmer when it's taken off.  That will be very cool.

Yeah, I saw that... very nice!  I wasted a set of Chickenhawks at RA this summer... :(  They're in for repair right now.

The PD tirewarmers had an option to shut off when removed to IIRC.  Shame that dude went out of business.

clutch

I rode a sv for 3 years.  I dont see where the tires last "that much" longer than 600's.  I couldnt see using a rear for 2 race weekends running up front.  I primarily race wera, so I would run 3 sprints on a rear and the next round I would use it for the solo race or practice.  You gotta remember that the LW bikes make up all their time in the corners, so basically as soon as that thing is turned in you have to hamer the gas, smoothly but FAST.  The tires are getting abused. I would never think of running a rear for two "full" weekends.  Then again, I would rather be safe than sorry like dave said and know that I have good grip under me.

As for the Woodcraft Warmers, got mine the other day.  Very nice.  The cover the tire better than any I have seen.  They have the thermostat built in on the front of the warmer and you select 120, 140, 160 or 180.  They have a cord that needs to be connected once the warmers are wrapped around the tire and plugged in so  they turn on.  You have to unplug this before taking the warmer off, cutting the power.  Ensures that they dont stay on, plus you dont have to unplug them from the electric source.

PolishPete

I'm using Pilot Powers.  And after 5 track days, I think I could get another 3 or 4 out of them.  They really do not looks abused at all yet.  That's why I'm worried about them drying up or cracking from the heat cycles because they're being used so long.  I really don't push it in the corners.  Like I stated in other corners, I like to take things slow and slowly speed up with each lap...so I've been "learning" this sport for some time.

HAWK

Pilot powers will last a long time, also they don't need as much heat to work as a race compound. I would be careful about using warmers on these tires, they really don't like to be as hot as most warmers will get them.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

benprobst

Yeah, no tire warmers on pilot powers. They will actually be worse for the first 3 or 4 laps until they cool down to their operating temperature from the tire warmer temp.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

RSimmons

Quote from: benprobst on January 20, 2008, 03:34:11 PM
Yeah, no tire warmers on pilot powers. They will actually be worse for the first 3 or 4 laps until they cool down to their operating temperature from the tire warmer temp.

If you've got the fancy-pants warmers with adjustable settings this is less of an issue. IIRC, the optimum temp for the Pilot Powers is 150-160. I think the Chicken Hawk Pole Position 'med' setting is 155. The digital DMPs and the various warmers that are the same with different branding can be set there.

But you're right about the standard warmers that run at 180ish: its not good to cook Pilot powers at that temp for any length of time.
MW Am #377

PolishPete

I have the T2 warmers, with the adjustable setting.  So I should be ok though using them around 150-160?

RSimmons

Quote from: PolishPete on January 20, 2008, 04:13:52 PM
I have the T2 warmers, with the adjustable setting.  So I should be ok though using them around 150-160?

Probably, but you should double check on that temp. Thats just what I remembered the optimum temp to be, but I'm not 100% sure. I fall on my head alot. :)
In any case, the warmers won't really help that much using Pilot powers. They might alleviate a little bit of cold tearing, and you can ride a little harder a little earlier. If you already have the stuff, might as well use it though.
MW Am #377

roadracer162

So my question is with all these temp ranges being mentioned, has anyone checked to see if the tires actually get to theses temps? Or is it the termostat that gets to the cut-off temp?

Pete, I would think through reasoning that if you are not pushing the currently mounted tires and they will last 5 track days with much more life, then you aren't pushing the tires to provide sufficient heat. I have done some of my own (the best that I can) scientific method of experimenting on tires and pressures but not temp. I took note of rise in pressures (objective) and also notes on my riding impression (subjective) and also included some lap times to help me figure this thing out. I found that if I didn't push too hard during a session and lap times are down from my baseline tire pressures were also down. I can only presume that tire operating temps are also down in a situation such as this.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.