spyderchick

I thought that was called elephantitis? ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

TZDeSioux

lol... is that what's it's called? hahah I have elephantitis of the nuts bwhahaha  ;D

spyderchick

doncha remember those pix from high school? The guy wheelin' 'em around in a wheelbarrow? :o
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

TZDeSioux

Quotedoncha remember those pix from high school? The guy wheelin' 'em around in a wheelbarrow? :o

Nope.... I didn't go to a regular school. I went to a school where you train to be a Ninja. :)

spyderchick

well now. That would explain alot of things.  :o

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

sdiver68

On the weight issue, it is not nearly as simple as saying 5 lbs ~ 1 hp.  IMHO, the start is the only place where this ratio comes into play in a major way.

For one, lighter weight should theoretically enhance the handling characteristics of the bike, assuming the geometry and weight distribution are optimized.  However, those are big assumptions.

Second, aero drag is a big part of the acceleration equation at racing speeds, I would say more important than weight when speeds average 100 mph.  Granted, smaller riders can get more aerodynamic, usually.

Discussion?
MCRA Race School Instructor

Super Dave

I'll weigh in...

HP = quicker laps  Yes, or no.

Well, yes, but not to a big degree.

Larry Denning can go 3/4's of a second faster on his R1 vs his R6 a many "normal" tracks.  But 3/4's of a second sure isn't much for something that makes lets say 25 to 35 more HP with the other things all remaining pretty equal.  

If you go to a bigger track, the difference should be much bigger...

But Eric Bostrom did 1:53's a couple of years ago on his Kaw Supersport 600 and 1:49's on the superbike.  Four seconds as a result of 60HP, slicks, etc. etc. and probably $200,000.  Not a big difference, really.

Now, back to the less experienced guys gaining time from power...

That would be because you are riding with a larger margin of safety.  Your mid corner speed would be lower that lets say Larry Denning, so when you fix your bike (bad chain) or make minor improvments (pipe) you gain some ground in the acceleration/HP department.  That allows you to whack it a bit sooner and get away with it.

But additionally, you've experienced things previously, too...  And that helps...if you learn from it.

What to do?

Jeff's on the right track.  Suspension is key.  But if you don't know squat about it, you need to learn.  Track time is useful IF you know what to change otherwise it is stupid to do the same thing over and over and expect different results.  School...yes, if you can get input other than, "You're doing well out there."  There needs to be on going discussions about changes, ideas, etc.  Ultimately, a school or instructor should have a base of knowledge to help give you some continuting guidance for changes.  And that can come before just adding suspension components.

Now as for personal experiences...

I did a 1:13 at BFR in 2001.  In 2002, I couldn't break into the 13's yet I did have more HP and I noted that the bike accelerated better.  I had my ear/brain/tumor/we don't know thing happening last year though...  So, those things come into play.  
Super Dave