News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

When more HP= quicker laps.

Started by chris_chops, February 26, 2003, 10:08:55 AM

ecumike

I don't see how extra HP CAN'T make your laps faster... (I'm a newbie :) )

Whether you're fast in the turns, or you park it, ALL TIHNGS STAYING EQUAL with your extra HP; more HP should give you more speed on the straight, which will result in lower lap times.

Right... I know, I know, hence the request for TESTIMONIALS... like did it really drop your times?... or did it screw up your entry/exit speeds and turn points and thus cause same/higher lap times?

I'll be able to give an actual testimonial after my track day - 3/15

GSXR RACER MIKE

QuoteAs I read this, I keep seeing the # 113 in my mind.  Edgar?  Did you change your login name? ;D

I use to be # 214 in the MW region. I used that # the first 4 years that I raced.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

DanO966

QuoteDanO or Omni...can I get a 'Amen!' ;D

Wheelies RULE  ;D
DanO CCS/WERA/AMA/ASRA #966
Convergence Technologies/MD Racing
'12 Yamaha R6
'11 Yamaha R6

TZDeSioux

QuoteWheelies RULE  ;D

teach me how to do a willie.

james-redsv

Speedballer you are freaking crazy trying to race a bike with a broken steering head. It should not have passed tech either, which you should have done again after a crash. Please dont do this again as you could hurt someone else as well as yourself if your bike suddenly falls apart.  :o

spyderchick

Quote 95% of racing is in your head.

<-------look to your left

Racing is mental, and HP is subjective to the track. Why could Roger beat guys on bigger bikes in F40 when he was running a 400cc bike? Why can Rhiannon pass Charlie Buse @ RA  or catch Ed Key on another weekend in the rain?

HP is a number. So is your weight, your sag on your suspension, your lap times, etc., etc., ad nauseum. Numbers are occasionally meaningless.  

yeah, raw horsepower should make a racer go faster. But the part between your ears is what will help you make the best use of it.  
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Speedballer347

QuoteSpeedballer you are freaking crazy trying to race a bike with a broken steering head. It should not have passed tech either, which you should have done again after a crash. Please dont do this again as you could hurt someone else as well as yourself if your bike suddenly falls apart.  :o
This is all OLD news.

Bike wasn't crashed!  Steering head exploded in Gateway's chicane/banking.  Bad slide/tankslap/etc...broke some ribs/etc...and recovered it 8)

Tech: Bike passed tech, cause it showed show up w/ profesionally welded frame.  GMD welds them up all the time and they hold.  The guy who welded mine welds aircrafts together, so he is better than GMD....only dif is that my alignment was waaaay off...but my guys welding was superior.  
The welds should have held!!!!

Other than being bent-to-f (from the cracks (40")pulling themselves 1/4" apart), it was solid )or so we thought).  
As we soon found out, hard braking and/or cornering would rebrake all of the welds and create new cracks.  

I knew my frame/geometry was bent nutzo, but was NEVER my intention to show up w/ a cracked frame!!!!
We always thought we had the cracking under control...but even when the welds held, new ones would show up.
Frame was defective/brittle, and it took a couple weekends to figure it out.  Still placed 2-5th on it 8)

No worries!
Cracked frame is gone, and a new one is being asembled.  New motor too ;D

Now, let's get back to the HP/lap-time debate....

CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

chris_chops

My own experience deals mostly with lightweight machinery.  On a ducati 750ss, 10 more HP was good for 1.5 seconds at Grattan.  I changed nothing else.  The cases were to old(damn ducatis) to handle the power and cracked one weekend later.      
     Moving along, my old 916 and newer 998, have never had any engine mods.  The 998 still had stock pipes and computer last season.  This is what happens when you can't really afford a ducati.  I don't care who is riding those things, the 916 was slow compared to  any R6 and the 998 could barely get out of Monte Nichols R6's way even when our exit speeds were nearly identical.  I'm trusting Monte's honesty on that, as he came up to me after a race and questioned where the 998's "go juice" went.  I've been told I can corner with the best of CCSMidwest, but I wonder if more power in my 998 will make me faster at the short tracks.  I'll have to see.
     The fact that my bike is a ducati also means it is heavier.  I wonder if I should just put a pipe and computer on it and spend anymore money on weight reduction.  It was approx. 430lbs wet last year.  Monte's bike weighed 370 at the f-usa national.  Any thoughts guys?

Matt
P.s. I'm a big boy at 6' 2" and 185lbs.  I should lose weight as well.

sdiver68

185 big?  Hell, I'm 180 at 5'10"

And trust me, no one would call me "big", well, other than my girlf..... well never mind :)
MCRA Race School Instructor

GSXR RACER MIKE

QuoteP.s. I'm a big boy at 6' 2" and 185lbs.  I should lose weight as well.

I'm 5' 10" and can only dream of the day I am back down to 185 lbs.! I realize the horsepower loss due to my weight and ultimately it is the cheapest improvement in power you can make (eating less costs you less money and gains power availability - win/win situation).
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Speedballer347

185-190 @ 5'8", swollen with toXins ::) :P
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

TZDeSioux

6'1  210lbs but 40lbs is from my testicles. I have big grandpa balls.  ;D