Which Oil Do You Use And Why?

Started by PolishPete, March 24, 2007, 04:59:02 PM

Super Dave

Here's a really long thread.

Yes, automotive oils are not motorcycle oils.  But diesel rated oils are not automotive oils.  Again, big differences.  Very informative, and there's tons to read.  Some people even us some motorcycle specific oils in their track cars.  Real interesting.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=332678
Super Dave

Gixxerblade

Quote from: robsob on March 26, 2007, 05:42:32 PM
my f2 seized rod and crank bearings on mobil 1 car oil... i'd be carefull
Was it the use of car oil or was it just a seized rod and crank bearing? Did you send your oil to a lab for analysis after to be sure it wasn't the oil?
I will post some good articles too that aren't biased T.S. but are writen by oil guys.
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html
also can't forget BobtheOilGuy
http://bobistheoilguy.com/
You can forget the argument about branded motorcycle oil having higher compression because nothing in the world has a higher compression internal combustion than a diesel. (My Ford F250 is in the order of 25:1)

benprobst

Quote from: Gixxerblade on March 26, 2007, 07:31:22 PMhigher compression because nothing in the world has a higher compression internal combustion than a diesel. (My Ford F250 is in the order of 25:1)

25 : 1  ???????? well you are about 7 points higher the highest compression big truck motors and about 6 points higher than the baddest hotrod cummins around. you should check your tool.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

Gixxerblade

My bad I didn't do the research on that. 18:1 on a PSD. That is still about 6 points higher than a 600.

ianjoub

I use golden spectro synthetic.... change it every 10,000 miles whether it needs it or not. I have never had an oil related failure.
XTYLINE.COM Trackdays
877-867-1654

Suncoast Aquascapes
352-621-0600

Gixxerblade

Actually if you go to this thread on the WERA BBS you can read a little bit about Spectro and what Diet Dr Thunder found out when he sent it in to an oil lab for analysis.
http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=119176&highlight=oil

Super Dave

Another good link. 

Didn't know so many other people used Rotella. 
Super Dave

SloKidd

RepSol 4T Racing full syn.  no complaints at all.

chasespeed

kvanengen

Quote from: Gixxerblade on March 26, 2007, 03:09:30 PM
I use Mobil1 because oil is oil and this oil happens to be cheaper than all that other $8/quart stuff. I cam get a gallon for $11 at Wally World.  There has been no substantial proof that any branded motorcycle oil is any different than conventional synthetic car oil. Just don't use the oil conserving stuff and you'll be grand. I am totally with SD with that Shell Rotella. Cheap as heck and if it works in a high compression engine like a diesel why wouldn't it work in a lower compression motorcycle engine?
hey Gixxerblade,
I agree that it is outrages to spend $8 a quart on oil that you are going to drain out a weekend or 2 later. All the research that I have done on oils has shown me that there is a difference between car and motorcycle oil. I'm not going to get into the whole tech side of it because I haven't read up on it in the past year or so but keep in mind that a car revs out at about 6 grand (depending what car you have) and some bikes rev out at 14g or so. You gat the idea. Last time I checked most or no car oils can hold up to that kind of abuse that a race bike will put out. On the other hand if you are a race guy who changes there oil every weekend and is spending $40.00 every time to chance your oil gets old real fast.

PolishPete

This is some hardcore oil stuff.  Good information.  Thanks guys.

Team_Serpent

Quote from: kvanengen on March 28, 2007, 05:12:02 PM
hey Gixxerblade,
I agree that it is outrages to spend $8 a quart on oil that you are going to drain out a weekend or 2 later.

I'd like to chime in on the cost thing

How much do you spend on horsepower?

The numbers below have been rounded for easy math and this is just an example to show the idea.

Lets say you spend somewhere around $200 - per horsepower when building an engine. So if you increase your output by 10 horsepower you probably spent about $2000.00 to get there.

At first, Fuel like MR9 seems to be a great deal at $20.00 a gallon for 6 horsepower, but remember it's like crack, you keep wanting more so once you've spent that first $20 bucks your hooked.  So you end up using 10 gallons a weekend ($200) for 10 rounds ($2000).  So in the end you've now spent $2000 dollars over the course of a season for 6 horsepower - $2000 / 6 = $333 per horse.  Doesn't seem to be such a good deal now does it?

Now - who has tested different brands of oil on the dyno?

Well if you haven't I'll let you in on something - There's horsepower in them there hills!

So when your considering the cost of your oil you might want to consider the power vs. cost.