Which Oil Do You Use And Why?

Started by PolishPete, March 24, 2007, 04:59:02 PM

Super Dave

I try to filter it with anything.  Paper towels, etc.  Working on something a bit more sophisticated, but I ended up just making a mess on my garage floor... :ahhh:

I like to use it to spike my diesel.  But, I did live on the edge and I put in five gallons in a quarter tank.  Probably made my fuel around 35% waste oil.  I probably wouldn't do it to the newer diesels.  They are picky.
Super Dave

Team_Serpent

cleezmo

I use Castro R4 full synthetic in my street and race bikes. Why? Well, it's probaby 50% personal preference and 50% proof.

In 29,000 street miles (changing every 3,000) I've never had one issue. When I had the 16,000 checkup done, the mechanic asked what kind of oil I'd been using. He said he asked because when he pulled the valve covers the valvetrain looked brand new, there was zero sludge, etc. So I've stayed with the R4.

BUT - like Ben said - any top-line oil is good stuff. There's an excellent chance that had I been using Motul/Silkolene/Yamalube, I'd have seen the same results. But since I was using Castrol, and the results were good, I've just kept with it.

JBraun

ASRA/CCS MW #29
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
PIRELLI

Gixxerblade

I use Mobil1 because oil is oil and this oil happens to be cheaper than all that other $8/quart stuff. I cam get a gallon for $11 at Wally World.  There has been no substantial proof that any branded motorcycle oil is any different than conventional synthetic car oil. Just don't use the oil conserving stuff and you'll be grand. I am totally with SD with that Shell Rotella. Cheap as heck and if it works in a high compression engine like a diesel why wouldn't it work in a lower compression motorcycle engine?

Team_Serpent

Team_Serpent

Quote from: Gixxerblade on March 26, 2007, 03:09:30 PMThere has been no substantial proof that any branded motorcycle oil is any different than conventional synthetic car oil.

Hey Steve, hope all is well.

here are a couple of items taken from the white parper link I posted to address what you posted above.

It is important to point out that not all internal combustion engines are similarly
designed or exposed to the same types of operation. These variations in design and operation place different demands on engine oils. Specifically, the demands placed on motorcycle engine oils are more severe than those placed on automotive engine oils. Therefore, the performance requirements of motorcycle oils are more demanding as well.

Though the degree may be debatable, few will disagree that a difference exists between automotive and motorcycle applications.  In which area these differences are and to what degree they alter lubrication requirements are not clear to most motorcycle operators. By comparing some basic equipment information, one can better understand the differences that exist.

There are six primary differences between motorcycle and automotive engine applications:
1. Operational Speed - Motorcycles tend to operate at engine speeds significantly higher than automobiles. This places additional stress on engine components, increasing the need for wear protection. It also subjects lubricating
oils to higher loading and shear forces. Elevated operating RPMs also promote foaming, which can reduce an oil's load-carrying ability and accelerate oxidation.

2. Compression Ratios - Motorcycles tend to operate with higher engine compression ratios than automobiles.  Higher compression ratios place additional stress on engine components and increase engine operating temperatures. Higher demands are placed on the oil to reduce wear. Elevated operating temperatures also promote thermal degradation of the oil, reducing its life expectancy and increasing the formation of internal engine deposits.

3. Horsepower/ Displacement Density - Motorcycle engines produce nearly twice the horsepower per cubic inch of displacement of automobile engines. This exposes the lubricating oil to higher temperatures and stress.

4. Variable Engine Cooling - In general, automotive applications use a sophisticated water-cooling system to control engine operating temperature. Similar systems can be found in motorcycle applications, but other designs also
exist. Many motorcycles are air-cooled or use a combination air/oil design. Though effective, they result in greater fluctuations in operating temperatures, particularly when motorcycles are operated in stop-and-go traffic. Elevated operating temperature promotes oxidation and causes oils to thin, reducing their load carrying ability.

5. Multiple Lubrication Functionality - In automotive applications, engine oils are required to lubricate only the engine. Other automotive assemblies, such as transmissions, have separate fluid reservoirs that contain a lubricant
designed specifically for that component. The requirements of that fluid differ significantly from those of automotive engine oil. Many motorcycles have a common sump supplying oil to both the engine and transmission. In such cases,
the oil is required to meet the needs of both the engine and the transmission gears. Many motorcycles also incorporate a frictional clutch within the transmission that uses the same oil.

6. Inactivity - Motorcycles are typically used less frequently than automobiles. Whereas automobiles are used on a daily basis, motorcycle use is usually periodic and in many cases seasonal. These extended periods of inactivity place
additional stress on motorcycle oils. In these circumstances, rust and acid corrosion protection are of critical concern. It is apparent that motorcycle applications place a different set of requirements on lubricating oils. Motorcycle oils, therefore, must be formulated to address this unique set of high stress conditions.

JBraun

Quote from: Team_Serpent on March 26, 2007, 03:50:41 PM
I don't get it

In the link you posted there's a chart with specifications on several different engine types. In the HP per CI column the Harley brings up the rear. Worse than a Ford Explorer.
I thought that was funny.
ASRA/CCS MW #29
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
PIRELLI

Team_Serpent

Quote from: JBraun on March 26, 2007, 04:57:03 PM
In the link you posted there's a chart with specifications on several different engine types. In the HP per CI column the Harley brings up the rear. Worse than a Ford Explorer.
I thought that was funny.

That is funny  :lmao:, didn't see that, good eye.

So I guess we could say that most motorcycles except Harleys put a higher demand on motor oil over automobiles  :biggrin:

EX_#76

Quote from: Team_Serpent on March 26, 2007, 12:48:18 PM
I use Motul

Found this very interesting reading http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

That is the most comprehensive oil testing I have ever seen.  I would like to see this type of testing performed by an independent lab who is not being funded by one company to see if the results would be the same
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor

Sobottka

Quote from: Gixxerblade on March 26, 2007, 03:09:30 PM
I use Mobil1 because oil is oil and this oil happens to be cheaper than all that other $8/quart stuff. I cam get a gallon for $11 at Wally World.  There has been no substantial proof that any branded motorcycle oil is any different than conventional synthetic car oil. Just don't use the oil conserving stuff and you'll be grand. I am totally with SD with that Shell Rotella. Cheap as heck and if it works in a high compression engine like a diesel why wouldn't it work in a lower compression motorcycle engine?

my f2 seized rod and crank bearings on mobil 1 car oil... i'd be carefull
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

Team_Serpent

Quote from: EX_#76 on March 26, 2007, 05:31:13 PM
That is the most comprehensive oil testing I have ever seen.  I would like to see this type of testing performed by an independent lab who is not being funded by one company to see if the results would be the same

Yeah, I'd like to see a variety of 5W30 weights compared as well.