Is 600 AM Really THAT bad?!

Started by Grashopr, December 05, 2006, 09:29:55 PM

YellowDesmo998

The 600 AM class isn't that bad.  I crashed 3 times in 2006.  One time was another rider standing the bike up and hitting me in T1 at VIR, the second was me being too aggressive in the rain and the third was rider error on my part at Daytona but I picked the bike up and still finished the race (not even in last place)!

In the GTU at Daytona we had 2 restarts.  Both red flags caused by... hold on... Expert riders.  One on the warm-up lap and the other in T3 on the second start.  They ended up scrapping the race until the end of the day and only gave us 5 laps instead of our 25 minutes.

Don't stand the bike up in a turn when you feel you're being squeezed, hold your line and all will be well in the world.  You won't be able to control what another rider does but that's racing.  You'll be fine, enjoy!

StumpysWife

Just get out in front and then you won't have anything to worry about!!! 

Well, until you have to work through the sketchy lappers, I guess...

xseal

I started out racing 600s and only felt it was a bit much after I moved up to expert (to many AMA privateers).  Its a good class, and as an amateur its easy to race up classes.  Start by racing it in the HW classes, those are usually a bit tamer. After a couple weekends you'll be able to assess for yourself.

Z-man

Quote from: StumpysWife on December 13, 2006, 08:46:22 AM
Just get out in front and then you won't have anything to worry about!!! 

Well, until you have to work through the sketchy lappers, I guess...

Sketchy lappers are a big problem, especially in the GT races where there are more laps.  I've lapped guys 2X in a sprint race.  That would mean they are generally running 30+ seconds above race pace.  They are very very easily spooked and stand the bike straight up and down.  I had a guy this year get spooked by someone passing them, I was setting him up and he picked up the bike right before the turn and crashed right into me.  He turned and was face shield to face shield coming into a turn.  If you could hear me in my helment screaming to stop looking and look at the #$%%^ track.  Also,many times will register early which only makes them 3X as dangerous because you might have to get around them at the start as well. 

Z
CCS #79 EX

2007 Sponsors
Speedwerks, Team Pro-Motion, Martinmoto.com, Turner Landscaping, CTR, Redline Motorsports, Oxtar, Pirelli, Amsoil, LP, Vortex

Sobottka

2 years in 600 am classes and no wrecks!! its what you make of it...
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

Viper

Quote from: Z-man on December 15, 2006, 03:44:25 PM
  If you could hear me in my helment screaming to stop looking and look at the #$%%^ track.  . 

Z

LOL..........Pretty sure it wasn't at the time thou.....

Z-man

Quote from: Viper on December 17, 2006, 04:04:57 PM
LOL..........Pretty sure it wasn't at the time thou.....

When your nose to nose with someone, trust me I was screaming look at the track
CCS #79 EX

2007 Sponsors
Speedwerks, Team Pro-Motion, Martinmoto.com, Turner Landscaping, CTR, Redline Motorsports, Oxtar, Pirelli, Amsoil, LP, Vortex