News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

LP Sport Rider Day using OUR practice ???!!!

Started by duc995@aol.com, January 27, 2003, 06:46:07 AM

Steviebee

if you are a ccs expert then you could sign up for the LP "Advanced" and get the 5 extra sessions.

But for an ameture like me,  I'm screwed!  why would any ameture ever sign up for a LP day.  I was going to, cause i need the track time, but not with this schedule.

rick

Well, you could always sign up for the "sport" group. I can't remember what the rules were for that group but, I think it was bascially, "no inside passing."

...Assuming that someone could ride in two groups. :)

the_weggie_man

Only one question: WTF is any track day for street riders doing on a weekend for racing? It should not be. Or is CCS heading towards a track day org. and getting away from racing over time?

duc995@aol.com

I for one plan on getting to the bottom of this...and you can bet it will come up on Saturday!

From what I can tell so far, unless you pay extra, No CCS racer will be on the track until after lunch!

If you do pay extra, then you would ride in the Sat AM class called "CCS expert" or "CCS AM"  You would NOT get to ride in those classes AND then pay expert and ride in another LP USA class...that would be ridiculous!  Can you imagine them letting experts get more track time in the LP USA street class!  Don't think so...!

So it looks like this:

1) Unless you pay...no racers play until after lunch Sat!

2) If you Accidentally took off Friday to get there by Saturday, and only have one race Sat, you will have wasted time off from work, because most likely ...if we would have gotten notice from CCS ...you would have known that you had plently of time to drive to the track Saturday!

If this type of scheduling is going to be repeated in the future, it would be more time-effective to stop racing and just hook up with more track-days!

Again...if anyone knows whom at CCS should be contacted to protest...let me know.  Thanks!

CCS

Let's get the correct information out there.

Any CCS entry for the weekend gets you your regular 2-3 sessions of practice. Saturday's racer practice starts first, ends at lunch just as it has for the last 19 seasons with CCS. No change. GT races still run on Saturday, no change. Racers track time is identical to the last season. End of discussion.

Sport Riders track time is dramatically reduced from what they got on Fridays last season. 5-6 sessions from the 8-9 sessions they used to get. 15 minute sessions instead of 20 minutes. Price reduction from last year and being on a weekend day are the only advantages for them.

Reality is that the Pacific and Southwest events have been financial disasters for the past two years. We are looking at alternatives to preserve the two-day format and the inclusion of Sport Riders was the most appealing alternative.

Rather than bash these Sport Riders (where do you think most new racers come from?) you should encourage them to participate. (They are the ones making it possible to continue two-day race events.) Then after they gain some track experience, encourage them to race. This insures the continuation of our sport.

CCS was built on racing both Saturday and Sunday, and the program running the same in Virginia as it does in Illinois as it does in California. If this experiment fails, then in 2004 we will have to become a one-day event in the Southwest and Pacific regions, and I for one do not want that to happen.

Gordy, call me if you have questions.
Kevin Elliott
Director of Operations-CCS/ASRA
Fort Worth, TX
817-246-1127

duc995@aol.com

Thank you Kevin...I appreciate your quick response.

I want to see CCS continue in our area (SW), but if it doesn't, there are an abundance of track days and WSMC.  This is the plain and simple truth.  

Up and coming racers can get their track experience just like I did: by going to track days!  There are a gazillion out there.  They don't need to utilize the licensed racer's weekend practice to do this...plain and simple.

If you read the thread you will see that the word...albiet second hand, but the only "official word" until your reply above, was that the only practice racer's would get would be after lunch.  The prior to lunch track time appears to be devoted to those who pay extra ...unless you say otherwise...oh ya...I guess you did ...thanks!

Triple

Thank you Kevin for the clear and concise response.  I absolutely agree with your coments about encouraging the track day rider to show up, work on their skills, and eventually become racers.  Not so long ago, that was me out there doing that very thing. I did, however, enjoy last year's format of the LP track days being on Fridays.  It was a good chance to figure out set-ups, learn new tracks, etc.  By your reposnse, it seems as if the move to Saturday for the LP track days is permanent, at least for this year?  Also, I may have missed it, but what is the cost for the track day now that it has been shortened a bit?  Thanks very much.  

duc995@aol.com

Bottom line:  I just want there to be frequent, concise, communication between CCS officials and "the masses" or racers out there.  People wouldn't feel "left out of the loop" if they were updated from time to time.  And that includes updating the web site too!

Now let's all just shake hands and play nice and hope for the best...including the longevity of CCS.  Afterall, it is OUR club!

CCS

Yes, the cost is now $25 for your Sport Rider License (annual fee), then entry will be $75. (We will also be adjusting this because of the cost of the gate pass, say the pass is $15 for one day, your Sport Rider entry will be $60) CCS licensed racers will be $50 if they are running in the Sport Rider sessions. CCS racer practice on Saturday is included with race entry for any class.

We are committed to test this format for the remainder of the 2003 season unless the turn-out increases dramatically. If it does, we will decide how best to handle the situation then.
Kevin Elliott
Director of Operations-CCS/ASRA
Fort Worth, TX
817-246-1127

the_weggie_man

Hey Kevin,  thanks for the response. Hope all is well with your family.

This was just  one of those things that should have been a "news" item from CCS rather than a rumor of maybe this, maybe that. I must agree with Bob about the communication gap.

I'll call you soon since I do have another question about this.

OldRacer

My only question is why are experts going out on a cold track first instead of the street riders?  

Shouldn't racers paying to race and travelling get the advantage of a little track warm uptime instead of racing on an ice cold track at 8:00 am?

Put the squids out there first and let the track at least get to 50 degrees before we have to go out on it and risk throwing new bikes, new paint, and all winter's preparation down the track.

In short keep the amount of time the same for everyone but move the racers to a bit later so we get track time more in line with the tempratures we race in so we can work on setup instead of guessing, which is what we will be doing if we try to tune and set up in 20 degree cooler weather.  At 8:00 it's only 38 degrees this time of year.  Not a time to be on slicks on a cold track.  :o

rick

Sure, and then the "squids" crash and that eats into everyone's time. Racers on the other hand should hopefully know better. Besides, everyone is paying and traveling out there racer or otherwise.  ;D