Anyone interested in ice racing for fun?

Started by Bam55, January 07, 2003, 05:56:42 PM

Bam55

;) As I stated in the Endurence ice racing thread, we have a sh*t load of ice, if anyone is interested we ride about 7 hours a day on Saturday and Sunday. If you think this appeals to any of you, even the instructors in real life, call or email for directions. We, Russ Voight and PJ Thornton, are two hours north of Madison and two and a half hours east of Minnisota. Call (715)355-2152 or email pittpass55@aol.com. We will point you up here

Maybe if everyone desides on one weekend we can set up a real race of our own, and to get you ready for the up coming season we could limit your practice to like......one lap, and combine it with every bike that isn't similar with what you run!!! Then combine all the bikes into one race to make everything go quick so the race officails can go home early??!!!! Just kidding Kevin!! We all know that a CCS weekend always goes smooth without any hitches.  ;)

SliderPhoto

Protein Filled

Hey PJ,

Sounds good. We should make a date to get together and get out there. I am sure Tommy and Gary would be more than willing to come along. Anyone else in? Super Dave? Ytak? Dawn/Paul?

It's so much fun and makes it easier to pass those long "raceless" winter months.

Jack, no rentals needed. Someone is always willing to lend their bike. You get pretty tired out there, so rest is a must.

Take care,

Edgar

PS: Hey K3 and C*sper, why don't you "big guys" come along so you can get your butts whupped once again? I would pay to see either of you on an XR100 out on the ice. Wouldn't that be a sight!!! ;D
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

SliderPhoto

I'm definitely up for this, especially if I can bum a few sessions! I could bring the heated trailer and provide a nice place to thaw out. :) And of course do photos.

Funny, my wife was just asking me if I had plans this weekend and my son was saying how he missed going to the race track! :)

Now all I need to figure out is if I can power electric underwear off my new camera battery! ;D

SliderPhoto

OK, the wheels are spinning and it's early in the AM so bear with me.... ::)  

How is an XR100 for the Ice? I was asking earlier in the season what kind of bike I neeed for the ice and what classes there were for racing. It seemed everyone was steering me towards the bigger bikes.

Me? I just want something to practice on, improve my madd skills. ;D Ofcourse kicking some racer butt is always a bonus! :o ;D

What prep is needed if I was to get a bike? Just sheet metal screws in the tires? What gear do I need? Will my Arai Quantum be OK or is a dirt bike helmet preferred? Sorels for boots or are hiking style boots better? I've got my cold street-gear 2 piece with armor but it doesn't zip together. Leave the armor in? The foam stuff seems to turn to rock in cold weather but would still add some protection.

TIA

Bam55

Winter style hiker or winter work boots seem to be the best. Yes your Arai will work great. We have been wearing our leathers with a big winter coat over the vented top half. Like Edgar has stated you will get tired, but you also will get very warm and sweat.
 As far as the XR, perfect.  You might want to see what size main jet comes in the XR and pick up a coupe sizes bigger, that will help it run a little better in the cold. Go to the local dirt bike store and buy about 750 gold screws, geneally you can remove them and still use the tires for summer. As far as pattern, get at least two in every other and one for sure in each of the outsde nobbies. We put three because they fit in the inside nobbies on the rear tire, and finished the front with at least two in most of the other nobbies. You can always add more at the lake, we always bring cordless screw shooters.
 You guys should come up, Brian and Brett Boyd, Nate Franson, Russ, and I are going to be there this weekend for sure and plus a bunch of other locals always come out. Its a hoot!!!!
 Coming from Milwaukee go north on 94 to 51/39 north to Wausau. When you get to Wausau take the exit AFTER the highway patrol head quarters. I don't know the exact exit number but I'll find out today.Go right at the light all the way to the stop sign, turn right down the hill. There is crappy looking little shack on the right before the bridge, there are two driveways around the crappy little house that you pick one and park behind there. You will be able to unload and get started. If coming from Minnisota go east on 194 until you get to Cedar Rapids then take 29 east to Wausau, go right on the exit 51/39 south to Green Bay. Go south about two miles to the Rib Moutain exit than take a left go all the way to the stop sign go right down the hill blah, blah, blah same to the little crappy house. If you get lost call my cell 715-573-1863

Jeff

Damn, and I was just up there this weekend.  The rest of my family lives in the Wausau area so I go up there every now and again.  

Russ, where are you looking at going?  Lake Wausau?  Schofield dam???  We used to run quads all the time above the dam there on Grand Ave, across from where that harley shop is.  It was "Hi-Fi Kenny's" back in the day...  (dating myself I guess)

Jack, any gear will work.  if I were you, depending on the leathers, wear a back protector and your 'stitch'.  

I don't know that the 80 would hold up to anyone but the kids ripping around for any period of time.  Plus, my wife would likely start drilling me if I took the Ryobi to the kids new bike ;-)  (I would say she'd screw me, but after 12 years, we all know that's out the window  :P)
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Dawn

Sounds like fun... but, the only possible day would be a Sunday for us.  Paul has been working overtime on Saturday's and Renee has basketball that day too.

Keep us informed.

Dawn   ;)

tshort

I'd be game for this, too.  I could probably try to borrow my bro's XR200 (250?), and then I'd have to figure out how to do the tires.  

How long does it take to screw the tires?  Sounds like a rather lengthy ordeal.  

Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

Litespeed

Are you guys trying to make us feel bad about having nice weather to ride in during the winter?  I'm looking forward to seeing pics and hopefully video from the ice races since I only get to do track days during the winter months.

Eddie#200

Is there enough ice?

It's 50 degrees here in Minneapolis.  It was 52 yesterday.  I rode the Gixxer! ;D ;D ;D

Jeff

QuoteHow long does it take to screw the tires?  Sounds like a rather lengthy ordeal.  

well, that depends  ;) :o

Seriously though...  You're looking at a good 2 hours work per tire.  It would take 2 of us an afternoon to stud a quad.  Your wrist will be pretty sore from holding the drill, and your legs will be rashed out from squeezing the wheel while studding.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest