News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

What pitbike?

Started by TZDeSioux, December 30, 2002, 07:56:55 AM

TZDeSioux

What pit bike should I buy? I haven't a clue what I should buy.

SliderPhoto

Mine!  ;D

I got hosed rather badly from a purchase off e-bay. It's a Yamaha Zuma, just what I wanted, but the guy did not accurately describe its condition. It looks like a few people got together and beat it with an ugly stick, ghost rode it down a hill, and then beat it some more.  ;D   :'(  

I'm still waiting to hear back from that guy!

TZDeSioux

uhmm... i was thinking something shiny and new.
:)

Protein Filled

Depends on what you want it for. I have my XR 100 as a pit bike, which also turns into a flattracker and an ice racer depending on the time of the year.

If you want something to run around the pits and it's street legal, get a scooter like the Zuma that Jack has or Wytack's priller since they are handy for carrying tires around the pits and stuff.
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

SliderPhoto

Quoteuhmm... i was thinking something shiny and new.

Spoiled!  ;D

I like the Yamaha Zumas, they're pretty functional. I considered a dirt bike so I could use it to ride off road too, but some tracks like RA don't allow you to ride vehicles that aren't licensed. Usually you can get away with it but I did get stopped once at an AMA weekend when riding an XR.

Honda is coming out with a new basic scooter, but I think they missed the boat. It seats only one, doesn't have storage, and is priced more than the Zuma.

TZDeSioux

ooooh.. XR100 sounds good. :D how much? What do you all think of them little baby ATV's?

sdiver68

I saw an 01 XR100 in yesterdays St. Louis Post classifeds asking $1650 prolly $1400 or less.  Says ridden 7 times and in perfect condition.  This is a little lower than what I've seen them go for used other places.  I've kinda had my eye open for a pit bike...I think I'll settle for a Go-Ped type scooter.
MCRA Race School Instructor

Protein Filled

Brand new: $2100 or so...used for significantly less. They also have the new CRF150's which are about the same size as the TTR 125. IMO, any of these 3 would make a good pit bike. I believe there is a dealer in Chicago blowing out TTR's for something like $1999 which is a real good deal.

The little 4 wheelers are cool, but it seems to me that they are a bit bulky and would take lots of space in the trailer. I am not sure how much trailer space you have, but I know mine is pretty tight.
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

GPgofast

If I had my choice an early '70's Honda CT70. Coolest ride out there. GP

Thingy

QuoteThe little 4 wheelers are cool, but it seems to me that they are a bit bulky and would take lots of space in the trailer. I am not sure how much trailer space you have, but I know mine is pretty tight.

I bought a Suzuki Z400 4-wheeler.  ...and it does take up alot of space in the trailer.  But, I wanted something that could be used for more than just a pitbike.

However, I do think the XR-100s are a great pitbike.  Also, the scooters (like Hanson's) are nice as well.  You can haul tires on the little floorboard where you normally put your feet.
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

bweber

There is a company that makes duplicates of the honda mini-trail (Z50).  They are new, but look exactly the same as the mini-trail from the 60's, 70's and 80's.  They make a great bike because they can be street legal and registered, they don't take up much space, and they are designed to go off-road as well.  
I saw the Z50 replicas at a motorcycle show last year.  It looked like the company simply purchased all of Hondas tooling and moved the factory overseas.  It does not say Honda, but everything was the same.
If I were in the market for a new pitbike, I would look for one of those, or a genuine Honda Z50 mini-trail.

MZGirl

How 'bout a Charly?  http://www.motorradna.com/MODEL-CHARLY.HTM
They're kinda cute.  Shiny and new too, and they come in a variety of colors.

As for me, I want to fix up my Hodaka Super Rat and use it as a kickin' pit bike  8)