need some advice on SharkSkinz on other stuff.

Started by Steviebee, December 20, 2002, 09:13:03 AM

Steviebee

Newbie needs some help.  I'm new to the midwest area and dont have a clue where to get stuff.

But i've made up my mind im going to try racing this year so I need some help finding some parts.

Where's a good place to get Shark Skinz and some Engine Case Gaurds

And can someone tell me the name of that black front wheel chock than you can ride up in to, that ive seen a lot of.  I thought it was Black Jack but i cant find it online.

sdiver68

I'll let people plug their sponsors for your first question.

Here's a link to the Sport Chock:

http://www.baxleycompanies.com/la_wheel_chock.html

Great for trailering (I have one and about to order another), neat idea for the track...problem is you can't use tire warmers with it.
MCRA Race School Instructor

Steviebee

hmmm  tire warmes  andother thing i dont have the money for ..

Thanks.  for the link

Litespeed

Sharkskinz makes great bodywork but you can get good stuff for half the cost and be just as happy.  Enigine case guards depends on the bike but CFM-woodcraft carry them for a good price.  I think that circuit1 is also making them, just depends on which bike you are going to race.

Lowe119

I've only raced one year, but I've done a lot of research on composite bodywork (actually I make my own now).  But I'd check out http://www.xxxcomposites.com/ their information about their competition is right on. You might want to save a little money and get the cheaper models (although they will shatter more in a crash). But I'd order straight through the companies themselves for bodywork.

I use NRC guards because they were the cheapest I could find. I just ordered that through my local motorcycle parts store.

I hope I helped a little. I'm still learning a ton, so the experts might have more advice for ya  :)

Super Dave

I don't think Eric Wood at Woodcraft makes anything bad.  His case covers are really nice.  They have replaceable sliders built into them.  

Sharkskinz really have been the standard for a long time.  You can just about crash them over and over.  I thought XXXComposites went into bankrupcy, but I really don't know.

In the Midwest, you could call Armour Bodies in Ontario.  877-944-8244.  Reasonable price, comes with a repair kit, and the quality seems to be very near to what Sharkskinz is.

Tire warmers?  Baker Race Gear is my choice.  Local in the Midwest too.  414-916-9669.  Might have them on sale now.  

But suspension is the key, and knowing how to put it all together.  

Oh, and proper schooling, that goes with the riding and the set up stuff.  That could come from me and my guys.  We can probably help. ;D
Super Dave

Steviebee

Cool thanks for the help..
Litespeed  what is good stuff for half the cost ??

SuperDave that reminds me.  Im planing on attending your schools at Blackhawk.  Now that it looks like the dates are set.  1 question, for the dicounted rate for previous track experience, does the 2-day Star (Jason Pridmore) count ?  I did that one at Putnam last June (thats what got this whole thing started)

KBOlsen

Phil Caudill at www.moto-heaven.com was very helpful with getting me bodywork and filling my "spare parts box".  Like FAST and CHEAP!

Sharkskinz are very "crashable" and easy to repair.  Advice from this newbie is, avoid anything that has a gel coat, since that seems to make bodywork more brittle and prone to shattering on impact.
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

Lowe119

xxxcomposites might truly be out of business, but their web site still will teach you about the quality of different companies' products. example - the difference between polyester, vinylester, and epoxy; and gel coat and urethane primer. click their site; then technical information; then the competition.  
Or click composite basics to learn it all.  It is all true and epoxy with urethane coat and a tad bit of kevlar is the ticket - but expensive.

I crashed on polyester (aka cheap Beasley) and it was a mess. I was still able to fix it and my buddy's cheap airtech, though. I've never crashed on my Sharkskinz (yet).  I know they will all break - just some more than others. A little practice with resins and glass (or carbon and kevlar) and you can fix anything (if you have a couple hours).

I hope I didn't confuse or stray you more  :-/ I'm just sharing my learnings.  If you need any advice on fixing this stuff, let me know. I've been an apprentice of a fiberglass master for the last year  8)

Steviebee

Thanks for the help.  the xxxcompositis web site was great.

Super_dave ..  Since im a newbie i figured that i'd keep my stock suspension untill i wear it out or get good enough that i would help.  I dont think it would make much diference for me know (i could be wrong). One thing i do know is that last track day at Putnam i was getting some rear tire hop on heavy braking for turns 1 & 7 .  I could see where better suspension can help that, but i dont think im good enough to need it. (like i said I could be wrong)

bmfgsxr

for body work you might want to try www.akcomposite.com they are a fairly new company but they make great bodywork. its on par with the sharskinz. they have kevlar reinforced mounting points and impact points, and the shit is so flexable that you can literally bend the ears over and the go right back into place without cracking.

tell them that bmfgsxr from team "offthewall racing" sent ya. ask for gilmore.

tirewarmes, i like the chicken hawks. and the new pole positions, have a burn proof liner, and once you learn a few things about tire warmers you will appreciate what that is worth.

good luck.

Lowe119

Since I'm reading this I'll reply....

I'm putting all my money into suspension for next season (after my first year of all stock). The only thing I had last year was a damper. I still have the stock exhaust and jets.  I didn't think anything of my suspension until I started dicing in the top ten (1:20-1:21 lap times at BFR). Then I REALLY noticed.  My bike was all over the place. I had the Traxxion guy set up my stock suspension and that helped a ton, but not enough. I was burning up a set of tyres a weekend (partly because of cold-shreading) and I was wallowing and what-not through the corners (mainly following Chachere).

All the guys following me commented on my suspension and that is what I'm saving for. Horsepower is not what made me slower  ;)