need some advice on SharkSkinz on other stuff.

Started by Steviebee, December 20, 2002, 09:13:03 AM

GSXR RACER MIKE

Steviebee; I think the one thing that truely held me back as an amatuer was not having any suspension upgrades on my GSXR 750. I was consistently running top 5 but never had the bike stability that the guys in front of me did. My first year expert I invested in front and rear springs (for my correct weight) and a gold valve kit for the front and dropped 2 seconds per lap my first weekend using that upgrade (wish I would have gold valved the rear also).
   I think that the first thing any racer should do is get their suspension set-up for their weight and riding style. This will probably be the most beneficial thing that you can do to your bike to lower your lap times and will greatly improve the handling of your bike. It's a hell of alot easier to race when your not fighting handling problems! That is how these guys are doing 1:14's (and lower) at BHF on 600's.
   A word of advice on the suspension though. As you lower your lap times your suspension valving will need to be modified accordingly and you MAY need slightly stronger springs and/or preload adjustment.
   As for your rear wheel hop problem at Putnam (a track I truely miss seeing on the midwest schedule) I would guess it is the result of a couple things. First of all you can carry alot more speed into turn 1 than you probably are, therefore reducing the need for "heavy braking" there. Secondly your getting weight transfer into the front end that is making the rear end want to hop. To help reduce this try shifting your butt all the way back on the seat and gripping the gas tank with your knees when your braking hard. This will help to lower the point where your weight is being transferred into the bike (which is now being transfered thru the handlebars). Other than pulling the brake lever you should be able to hold onto the handlebars very lightly even while heavy braking if you do as mentioned (therefore reducing the amount of weight transfered into a high point on the motorcycle).
   All of that could probably be avoided or reduced by simply having your suspension done, but that's up to you!
   This is just some freindly advice from one racer to another and may not be perfect, but I know it helped me. Anyone else have any ideas?
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Steviebee

Hey thanks even more for the suspension thoughts.

I did try shifting my weight back and useing the rear brake a little bit first to weight up the rear.

I understand a lot about suspension and sutff, i just figured i've got a lot to learn before im anywhere near the limit of the stock suspension.  I'm just hoping to get some races in and stay with the pack and not get left in the dust.

Im converting my 2k gsxr 750 to race in SS class.  I figure ill run the HW SS and SB class and maybee one more.  I still need to learn the other midwest CCS tracks and learn how to race.

Got a teadmill i've been runing on, and im starting to work out (strenght training) got 4 months till Blackhawk.  Im going to try to do most the the Blackhawk CCS races and NESBA track days.  then maybee Road America and Gingerman.  It all depends on how it goes.

Litespeed

I would definately reccomend the akcomposite stuff if they make it for your bike.  As for Sharkskinz, I have lowsided twice with mine and while the second one just scuffed them, the first one was a bit of a dissapointment.  I guess the easiest way to describe it is that the glass doesn't go to the edge of the mold so the resin is built up to provide the shape around the edges.  I had a few spots where the edges lost chunks which wouldn't have been that big of a deal but some of them were in a location where there was no other damage and it looked as though flexing is what caused it.  Because of this, I would reccomend saving your money and getting something else.

Jeff

QuoteAnd can someone tell me the name of that black front wheel chock than you can ride up in to, that ive seen a lot of.  I thought it was Black Jack but i cant find it online.

The one you're talking about is either the LA Chock or the BattleAX.  However, there is (in my opinion) a better alternative.

The Condor Lift.  www.condor-lift.com I picked one up last year and will pick up another this year.  They're absolutely awesome.  The trailer kit makes them just incredible.

Read my Review on them along with ordering and contact info: http://www.cbr600f4.com/secondary_pages/condor.htm
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Super Dave

QuoteSuperDave that reminds me.  Im planing on attending your schools at Blackhawk.  Now that it looks like the dates are set.  1 question, for the dicounted rate for previous track experience, does the 2-day Star (Jason Pridmore) count ?  I did that one at Putnam last June (thats what got this whole thing started)

Yes, either your cert from Jason or a racing license will get you a discount on my school.  

Signing up for three to five schools will get you another discount, and six is another.
Super Dave

Super Dave

QuoteSuper_dave ..  Since im a newbie i figured that i'd keep my stock suspension untill i wear it out or get good enough that i would help.  I dont think it would make much diference for me know (i could be wrong). One thing i do know is that last track day at Putnam i was getting some rear tire hop on heavy braking for turns 1 & 7 .  I could see where better suspension can help that, but i dont think im good enough to need it. (like i said I could be wrong)

Good thought process, but you'd be surprised.  

Yes, we all can come up with a list of riders that can ride each of our bikes better than we do.

However, a bike that works better is easier to control more consistently at a faster pace.

So, terror that some riders have going a certain lap time can be eliminated with some changes.  Stock suspension is LIMITED.  The components really don't move enough fluid.  The spring RATES are usually incorrect.  And how the bike carries itself geometrically just isn't right.  Making the bike a bit better in the geometry department will make a great difference.

I can really mess up a bike's stock suspension to help a rider understand some of that, but you really can't make it the way it should be.  

You can buy the correct springs, but then you still don't have the ability to change the rear ride height.  And we're back to that moving fluid thing again.

I hate to tell someone that they have to spend money, but it's better to understand a bit more about the suspension now, rather than struggle over it later.

Super Dave

Steviebee

Since were throwing around talk about suspension.

What is the 30$ "Super" Dave's suspension guidance ?  Is this something you offer during your school days, or only on race days?

Thats good Information about the discount for signing up for several school days (so is it 200$ (w/ experiance) or 180$ prior VRS - 45$ for early sign up - xx.x$ discount) for 3 schools total = 425$ - xx.x discount

Well I want to try to race "most" of the season (i'll also be seeing some tracks for the first time. Havent decided if i should try a race day on a track i've never been to.? any advice anyone?)  But I haven't decided weather I should go for broke and pre-enter for several races upfront or wait till i get some racing under my belt to see how it is/I do.

I know i'll be gridded at the back for 2 weekends (Blue shirts CCS uses ? or Orange ?? for newbies), then I should be a real ametuer.  I'm going to use my 750 to run in SS and SB, maybe later a GT race or unlimited.

Super Dave

QuoteSince were throwing around talk about suspension.

What is the 30$ "Super" Dave's suspension guidance ?  Is this something you offer during your school days, or only on race days?

Thats good Information about the discount for signing up for several school days (so is it 200$ (w/ experiance) or 180$ prior VRS - 45$ for early sign up - xx.x$ discount) for 3 schools total = 425$ - xx.x discount

Well I want to try to race "most" of the season (i'll also be seeing some tracks for the first time. Havent decided if i should try a race day on a track i've never been to.? any advice anyone?)  But I haven't decided weather I should go for broke and pre-enter for several races upfront or wait till i get some racing under my belt to see how it is/I do.

I know i'll be gridded at the back for 2 weekends (Blue shirts CCS uses ? or Orange ?? for newbies), then I should be a real ametuer.  I'm going to use my 750 to run in SS and SB, maybe later a GT race or unlimited.

Suspension guidance.  If you've been to my school, I'm yours, no extra cost.  If you haven't, then you can use me for the weekend.  Much better to come to my school, because we can try things.  During a race weekend, well, you're patching things together.  Sometimes you go in the wrong direction, but you learn.

$425 for three schools for you, yes.  Sign up for three and then take $30 off - $395 total.  You're spot on.  And I'm yours to beat your head against.

Racing on new tracks?  Do it!  Why not?  The first time I raced at Sears Point was during an AMA National event.  

Doing a track day at track is not the same as a race day anyway.  You can understand where the track goes, but pushing yourself to go faster like you to on race day is quite different for someone that is less experienced.

As for pre entering?  Well, it's nice to be up front.  It's free time.  You'd probably finish better there rather than starting in the back.  

Will you like it?  Maybe not initailly.  Hard to say.  Racing can turn your stomach inside out.  But it is fun.  And that's the thing to remember.  

You never stop learning.  That's what makes it so challenging, aggravating, enjoyable, addictive, preoccupying,etc.
Super Dave

khanson

I'm a Woodcraft dealer and can set you up with a discount for Woodcraft products i.e. case covers, clipons, rearsets, stands, etc.  They make really good products at REALLY REASONABLE PRICES.

I also agree with spending your money on suspension.  It will also lower your tire bill from prematurely chewing up new tires.

Give me a call or email me.  217-493-3811

I'm also in the process of setting up a website for online purchasing and adding several other products.

Kevin Hanson<br /><br />www.SafetyFirstRacing.com<br />Safety First Racing<br />847.357.1309

Super Dave

Kevin is "Da Man" locally for Woodcraft.  (Merry Chistamas, cutie! 8))
Super Dave

khanson

Super Dave,

Weber, Hitchthingy and I are actually heading to an area around Omaha to go dirtbiking Friday.  

I have to get my fix in, otherwise I might be standing in line at the local methadone clinic waiting for my fix to get rid of withdrawals.
Kevin Hanson<br /><br />www.SafetyFirstRacing.com<br />Safety First Racing<br />847.357.1309

Super Dave

You guys sux.

I left Omaha Tuesday.  I've got to watch my boys on Friday.

Where are you going?

I had a dream I was racing rally cars.  My wife was too.  She did pretty well.  It must have been all the Merlo I drank for Christmas.... ::)
Super Dave