News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

I am thinking about running a 1000cc twin...

Started by dave333, November 11, 2002, 08:15:56 AM

dave333

I'm not looking to be the next hayden or bostrom or edwards, I just want to go out there and scrap with a bunch of like minded individuals.  I love the competition but getting to work on Monday is more important that 1st, 2nd or 3rd place.  I like the v-twins power delivery chararcteristics (no spinny rear wheely) and the 1000 has enough punch and acceleration to rock my world.  

What are the classes I can race in?  Which ones will a 1000cc liquid cooled twin be competitive in?  What do y'all see as the pro's or con's of racing a large twin?   tia!

Eddie#200

When you say Hayden are you already thinking Honda?

sdiver68

Have you thought about a built SV650/700?  Some of them are producing 85-100 RWHP.

The problem with a big twin is everything is a compromise.  A Ducati has the performance but is expensive and finicky (btw I have a very nice almost fully race prepped but street 996 for sale for a good price).  In near stock form, the TL is too heavy, the RC51 also and has ground clearance issues.  Maybe the SV1000 will be better?

I think LTWT twins may be an excellent class for you, if you don't want to be thrown into the "always racing with us turn 1 Crazies" class ;)

MCRA Race School Instructor

dave333

I said NOT, Ed.  Friends don't let friends ride h0nd@s...

dave333

Quoteif you don't want to be thrown into the "always racing with us turn 1 Crazies" class ;)

No worries about T1 crazies, Steve.  If I run a 600 next year I'm just gonna lean it over a little more and roll on the throttle a little harder...  ;D  FWIW, this was my first year racing, my 2nd year riding (at least since I was 16), and I don't think I did too badly.  Now that I know a little more about tires and traction, I believe I can lap much faster.

LTWT twins don't have the punch or top end I'm looking for.  I race because I like to go fast quickly.  It's an andrenalin thing... An 85-100hp SV has reliability issues I'm not interested in attending to. 

I already rode an SV and it was unexciting.  That's why I got the R6.  I'm hoping the Suzuki twin will be race worthy or I may look toward Italy for a solution...

I still need to know about appropriate classes and whether or not a 120hp v-twin would be competitive.  What other bikes would a 1000cc twin be racing against?

Eddie#200

QuoteI said NOT, Ed.  Friends don't let friends ride h0nd@s...

Funny aren't I?

I'm thinking TL1000s?  I have one as a street bike and really like it.  It's not heavy and is fun to blast around on.

Protein Filled

A 1000 CC twin would be legal for heavyweight and unlimited classes, which one's depends on the bike, but it would mostly be GTO, Heavyweight Supersport, Heavyweight Superbike,  Unlimited SS, Unlimited Superbike, Unlimited GP.

Now, being competitive is all up to you and which series you are racing... :)
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

Eddie#200

QuoteA 1000 CC twin would be legal for heavyweight and unlimited classes, which one's depends on the bike, but it would mostly be GTO, Heavyweight Supersport, Heavyweight Superbike,  Unlimited SS, Unlimited Superbike, Unlimited GP.

Now, being competitive is all up to you and which series you are racing... :)

Don't forget SuperTwins!

dave333

QuoteNow, being competitive is all up to you and which series you are racing... :)

Ahh yes.  The Dave factor.  Understood.  My question though, is the 1000cc twin capable of propelling a rider to a championship in any of those classes you mention?  I know, Freddie Spencer could ride a Vespa and win a championship but I'm just worried about showing up at a gun fight with my swiss army pen knife...

dave333

QuoteA 1000 CC twin would be legal for heavyweight and unlimited classes, which one's depends on the bike, but it would mostly be GTO, Heavyweight Supersport, Heavyweight Superbike,  Unlimited SS, Unlimited Superbike, Unlimited GP.

Sounds like I would be racing gixxer thou's in a few of those classes...

KBOlsen

CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

dave333

QuoteDave - I'd be willing to bet you'd do well!

;D

As long as sdiver and I stay away from T1 meetings!!!  :o