News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

04 R1 vs 04 GSXR750

Started by Speedballer347, February 03, 2005, 11:04:35 PM

Speedballer347

Ya'll convinced me that $6500 for an 01/750 was too much even if it was a good bike.  
I also felt after reading the replies here and at wera, that the new 04 bike is much better than the old 00-01's.

So I have another advice question for you guys.

I have decided on an 04 bike.  R1 or GSXR750.
I was a top 600cc amatuer (1:09s at gateway) until my frame broke apart, which really stole my confidence, made my bike scary handling, and pushed me back in the pack (1:12's-1:13's).
I was able to immediately get back in the top 1-3 when it would rain, and my handling problems were eleviated.
I am not a crasher and have only been down once (taken out).

I street/stunt ride a 929 w/ -1 sprocket on front and +10 on the rear.  
It LITERALLY has a light-switch throttle!  MUCH more twitchy than ANY CCS/WERA racebike, regardless of cc's.
I am able to balance-wheelie this bike at 30mph with my feet over the handlebars for a 1/2 mile, etc, etc, etc...

Why have I said all this???...because I am looking for advice on which bike is better for racing, not that the 1000 is too much bike for me, or I need to learn how to corner 1st, etc.
Not trying to be an arrogant jerk...but I am confident that after a couple of SuperDave schools and a couple of races, I will be going fine out there.

So......which bike is the better bike handling wise, forgiving wise, feedback wise, hp wise, etc....
Between the two with equal riders which will beat the other?  and by how much?

I appreciate any and all feedback.

Thank you, and I am really excited about roadracing again!
 :D :D :D
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

Super Dave

Most people would have a hard time getting a 1000 to actually go more than a half second faster per lap than a 600.

For Larry Denning, he might be able to go about 3/4 of a second faster on his 1000.

The 750 is in between.

Tires.  The 1000 will have them as a snack before breakfast while a 600 will have them for breakfast.  750 is in between.

The new 1000's are pretty much ridiculous.
Super Dave

ninelives59

I would go for the 750,all around it is a good bike and it will not lunch a set of tires.  
CCS FLORIDA  #6
9LIVESRACING
PIRELLI TIRES
WWR DESIGNS
EXTREME PHOTO'S

davegsxrold929r

or a good 600 and run circles around both on the track... . and you can choose from alot more races and still do the HW and UN..

::)

Protein Filled

I would say a 750 is almost as competitive as a 1000 on most racetracks and you can run quite a few more races on them.

Also, if the contingency payouts are the same as now and you go expert next year, the Suzuki will still pay contingency for a top 10 finish at any Suzuki paying event. The Yamaha would be out of contingency, and even if it wasn't, it would only pay for a win...
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

Hyperdyne_Racing

Parts availability, Aftermarket Parts, Interchangeable parts, Contigency Availability... I would go with the Suzuki...

Racing a 1000 is ludicrous on a strict tire budget unless you like running bowling balls.  I say 600 or 750.  

Glad to see your return to racing.  Pair up with King and you guys could have a good endurance thing going.
I didn't come here to make friends... I brought my own

racerhall

the gsxr will be easier on tires and easier to ride and wont bite as hard we a mistake is made
as it turns out i have  a 04 750  for sale
Midwest ccs #69
asra #69
ama #66
www.schaumburgaudi.com

mad_brad

nothing beats the sex that oozes from an R1.

Andy_Feu...

I would just keep doing wheelies with your feet over the head light.

Super Dave

Quotethe gsxr will be easier on tires and easier to ride and wont bite as hard we a mistake is made
as it turns out i have  a 04 750  for sale

THIS IS THE ONE TO BUY....
Super Dave

Speedballer347

Thanks for all the responses guys!!! 8)

QuoteMost people would have a hard time getting a 1000 to actually go more than a half second faster per lap than a 600.
For Larry Denning, he might be able to go about 3/4 of a second faster on his 1000.
The new 1000's are pretty much ridiculous.
I agree with you.
But in reality, the less skilled the rider the more HP helps.  And I have the throttle control to ride a literbike.

To be perfectly honest, a good friend of mine just bought Josh Hayes Attack ZX10 $50,000 Willow Springs winning bike. He is an equal rider to me, yet I don't wanna get left in the dust when we go out and play on trackdays, races, etc.
Just wanted to make sure I was equal footing out there.

QuoteI would say a 750 is almost as competitive as a 1000 on most racetracks and you can run quite a few more races on them.
True.  I love the punch/pull a literbike has though....and as broke as I am, I won't be doing many races anyway ;D

QuoteParts availability, Aftermarket Parts, Interchangeable parts, Contigency Availability... I would go with the Suzuki...
Great point!
I am out of the loop....I take it there are many more gsxr's out there than R1's.

QuoteGlad to see your return to racing.  Pair up with King and you guys could have a good endurance thing going.
Thanks for the props and encouragement.
I take a beating on the raceboards cause I stunt.  It is nice to be welcomed back.  Thanks.
I am doing some biz deals w/ Trav, so once(if) I get up to speed it might happen.

Quotethe gsxr will be easier on tires and easier to ride and wont bite as hard we a mistake is made
True.
I think the R1 is easier to ride at the same pace as my six.  I think it is impossibly hard to ride it at it's limits ...something I would never be able to do.
It would be a fun bike though :D

QuoteI would just keep doing wheelies with your feet over the head light.
Do I know you? ? ?
I really don't know why ya'll think I suck so bad at riding a bike.
I did very good very quickly, then ran into severe handling problems that screwed my laptimes and learning curve and confidence.
I get a little tired of the "you suck" attitude.

You don't think it takes exceptional throttle control to ride a wheelie at the balance point with your feet dangling over the windshield? ? ? ::)
I don't know what to say to you then...

QuoteTHIS IS THE ONE TO BUY....
Is it gaurenteed straighth an d does it have ANY handling problems????  Wobble? Rear lock-up when braking, etc?
I have had 2 dangerously handling bikes, both of which made me quite racing twice.

A third bad frame, and I am gone for good
 :'(  

Thanks again guys!
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

Speedballer347

Bump :)

Any other comments/suggestions...all info is needed and appreciated 8)

SuperDave, what is the link to the bike you guys have?