Amatuer vs. Expert

Started by rotoboge, November 19, 2004, 04:59:03 AM

rotoboge

What's the opinion of "qualifying" for the expert class, rather than obtaining 750+ points, and/or being a second year racer? There are some sandbaggers out there in the amatuer class that need to be re-evaluated mid-season.

I do know at least one amatuer that asked to be moved up to the expert level this last year. Not normally the thing one does, but his honesty and integrity is such that he took it upon himself to do this. We need a better system in place.

Chuck

Asking to be moved up mid season is different than making someone move up mid season.  What if the amature was looking forward to winning a championship or two?  His sponsors wouldn't appreciate that much, and neither would said amature.

hi-side_racing

There's always gonna be someone faster. It doesn't matter if you're amatuer, expert, ama level, or gp's... unless you're Rossi.

Get past it.

Oh and why would it have been less honest or somehow have less integrity if the guy just happens to be a fast amatuer and didn't request to move up ?

rotoboge

You do not believe a system could be adapted to use "lap times" to better qualify these groups? CCS has the historic data from those who have raced, by track, so the information is available to us- we just need to use it.  ;)

StumpysWife

QuoteYou do not believe a system could be adapted to use "lap times" to better qualify these groups? CCS has the historic data from those who have raced, by track, so the information is available to us- we just need to use it.  ;)

They use lap times when considering petitions.

Heather

hi-side_racing

QuoteYou do not believe a system could be adapted to use "lap times" to better qualify these groups? CCS has the historic data from those who have raced, by track, so the information is available to us- we just need to use it.  ;)

I'm just saying its not needed. I don't complain when our local AMA racers come race with us. As I said, there will always be someone faster...

EX#996

This subject has been beaten to death....

Do a search under amatuer with the date back 365 days in the general and rules sections.  You'll have your answer.

Dawn
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Super Dave

QuoteAWhat if the amature was looking forward to winning a championship or two?  His sponsors wouldn't appreciate that much, and neither would said amature.

Well, I'll make a statement, then ask a question.

Certainly, everyone would love to win a championship.  Some are easier than others.  But, regardless, championships are about working through issues, spending money, and hopefully having championship winning performances.[/i]

However, how often did you see any company advertise an amateur championship?  Ok, LP does it, but that's their gig...along with sometimes spotty stocking of items that one needs to race...

So, although, yeah, maybe getting bumped would keep a rider from winning an amateur championship...wouldn't it be better to advertise that a rider was bumped mid year because of their performance on a sponsors product?

I think so.

I raced a bike for a guy in AHRMA, and I told him that I was going to ride it so fast that they were going to make rules against it.

They did.  Unfortunately, the bike was at a performance disadvantage, and the rules, over time, have kind of crushed what was one of the largest classes in AHRMA.  That's another story all together.
Super Dave

EX#996

Dave:

You've been around the racing scene for a long time.  I respect your opinion, but not all the racers who run CCS do it for the money or the glory.  It's just fun.

Amatuer championships....

Right now I'm looking at seven trophies and two plaques from the 2003 season.  Was Paul good enough to move to expert that season?  Yeah, he was safe enough.  Was he fast enough? No.

We knew that the amatuer season was the only opportunity to win a championship.  Paul's size, ability and finances make an expert championship very unlikely.  Perhaps after Key and Lacy retire he may have a chance.

So we took the once in a life time opportunity to get those little motorcycle trophies.  We really don't care that they say amatuer.  In your world, we wouldn't have had the opportunity.

Gee thanks....   :(

I know I said that we race for the fun of it.  These trophies are a continual reminder of the fun that we did have in the 2003 season.  

In 2004 Paul raced as an expert, we had fun, but he only got a few pieces of wood to show for it.  Now it's only the competition between the guys that run about the same lap time as he does - - but everyone likes to be called a winner once in a while.  

Why does racing always have to be about the "business of it"?  

Dawn  
Paul and Dawn Buxton

K3 Chris Onwiler

I love you Dave, but Yeah!  What Dawn said!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Super Dave

Please read my intial statement.

???

Super Dave

EX#996

Sorry Dave....

I see that you were speaking of the sponsorship aspect of it.  However, you have stated in the past that there should be no such thing as an amatuer championship.  While reading your post, I couldn't get that thought out of my head.

Dawn
Paul and Dawn Buxton